Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. My darling puppy just started teething at 18 weeks =]

What should we expect? We've already found two places that she's lost teeth, even though we couldn't find the teeth =[

So - any tips? Chewtoys? We have a Kong chewie which she seems to adore. Any types of treats or food that'll help?

Also, are all her teeth going to fall out, even the big pointy ones?

Sorry about all the questions =\ I'm still new at this!

Thanks everyone.

Jessica

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
What should we expect? We've already found two places that she's lost teeth, even though we couldn't find the teeth =[
Puppies teeth until they are 6/7 months old. Most of the time you won't find them because they are swollowed (sp bad).

So - any tips? Chewtoys? We have a Kong chewie which she seems to adore. Any types of treats or food that'll help?
I recommend keeping a mixture of soft and hard toys. Lexi loves the nylabone dental bone (the one with the little nubs).

Also, are all her teeth going to fall out, even the big pointy ones?
All of the teeth will fall out and be replaced by less sharp ones. You will be able to feel the difference.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
No problem. Oh, another thing to keep in mind is that if you are having your baby spayed to talk to the vet about removing any retained baby teeth when she is under. That way she only has to be put under once.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
While Catcher was being groomed (groomer is at the vet's office), I had the vet check his teeth. He said that Catcher has about 7 retained baby teeth. The vet said he had a "mouth full of teeth". He said his adult teeth have come in just fine and the baby teeth aren't causing any problems now but if allowed to stay will get a lot of tarter on them, etc. and they should come out within a month or two.

He does not use anethesia for this but rather uses IV Valium and numbs the gums. I'm glad to hear that Catcher won't have to go under. I did ask if had the isofluorine anesthesia and he said they had four machines and had been using this method for several years... so I'm glad to hear that but glad he won't have to use it on Catcher's teeth.

I do wish he would have mentioned the teeth when Catcher was neutered... heck, I would have had all the baby teeth still left pulled then. I didn't know to even ask about it... thanks to SM... now I do!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 11 2005, 10:38 PM
I would rather use propofol.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34974
[/QUOTE]

Are you saying use propofol instead of Valium for pulling Catcher's teeth? Not sure if this is the post you're responding to. If so, what is propofol.. I've never heard of it... I can probably request it.... can you explain how it differs from Valium. Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 11 2005, 10:48 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Feb 11 2005, 10:38 PM
Are you saying use propofol instead of Valium for pulling Catcher's teeth? Not sure if this is the post you're responding to. If so, what is propofol.. I've never heard of it... I can probably request it.... can you explain how it differs from Valium. Thanks so much!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34977
[/B][/QUOTE]
diazepam(valium) can have variable reactions in dogs. some dogs instead of sedating, it might cause excitement. because of the individual variation, diazepam(valium) is not an ideal sedating agent for dogs.
propofol is a prettysafe injectable anesthetic. but does not provide any analgesia (prevent pain) so i would hope it is used in conjunction w/ an analgesic also. because it does hurt to yank out all those teeth.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava+Feb 12 2005, 11:36 AM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 11 2005, 10:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Feb 11 2005, 10:38 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34977

[/QUOTE]
diazepam(valium) can have variable reactions in dogs. some dogs instead of sedating, it might cause excitement. because of the individual variation, diazepam(valium) is not an ideal sedating agent for dogs.
propofol is a prettysafe injectable anesthetic. but does not provide any analgesia (prevent pain) so i would hope it is used in conjunction w/ an analgesic also. because it does hurt to yank out all those teeth.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35020
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely mention this to my vet.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Ditto on the valium. I just don't find it to be the greatest for sedating dogs and in a Maltese, why take the chance. We completely anesthetize them for pulling teeth, but if your vet wants to only use sedation, I would be more comfortable using propofol. They wake up really fast from it, too.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 12 2005, 03:38 PM
Ditto on the valium. I just don't find it to be the greatest for sedating dogs and in a Maltese, why take the chance. We completely anesthetize them for pulling teeth, but if your vet wants to only use sedation, I would be more comfortable using propofol. They wake up really fast from it, too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35048
[/QUOTE]

I really appreciate the info. When he was explaining what they do he mentioned a "mild" sedation... now I'm not sure if he said Valium or "something like Valium". He said this is typically how they handle pulling teeth. He said he'd rather not put him under if he didn't have to. He used this type of sedation with Rosebud many times... she had heart failure and he didn't want to put her under if he didn't have to... used the sedation for removing a couple small growths on her. Anyway, I am definitely going to discuss this with him. I probably won't have him do the teeth for another month. He said one of the teeth was loose so I'm going to wait and see if that one and any more might fall out..... Thanks again to you and Lady M... great advice!!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy+Feb 12 2005, 10:02 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lani
@Feb 12 2005, 07:29 AM
Many of us experienced tear stain on baby's face during this time.
  But it'll go away so don't worry.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34999
Eek I don't want that to happen =\ Why does it happen?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35006
[/B][/QUOTE]

The pup's eyes tear a lot more during this time from pain/pressure from the teeth coming through. Peanut has a prob with his tear ducts and he's always had a little staining, but it got especially bad when he began cutting his adult teeth. The stains will fade, just try to keep their face dry.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Feb 12 2005, 04:52 PM
The pup's eyes tear a lot more during this time from pain/pressure from the teeth coming through.  Peanut has a prob with his tear ducts and he's always had a little staining, but it got especially bad when he began cutting his adult teeth.  The stains will fade, just try to keep their face dry.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35055
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Peanut is sooo cute

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy+Feb 12 2005, 08:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Feb 12 2005, 04:52 PM

The pup's eyes tear a lot more during this time from pain/pressure from the teeth coming through.  Peanut has a prob with his tear ducts and he's always had a little staining, but it got especially bad when he began cutting his adult teeth.  The stains will fade, just try to keep their face dry.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35055
Thanks. Peanut is sooo cute

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35076
[/B][/QUOTE]
Aww! Thanks

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When Lacey was teething she had tearstaining. It just started out of nowhere. She had 7 baby teeth removed when she was spayed at 7 1/2 months. For about a week before the surgery she did not eat well at all. The vet told me that her baby teeth were pushing up against her adult teeth and they were proberly uncomfortalbe. I am so glad I had them taken care of when she was spayed. Now the only time she has tearstaining is when she has an ear infection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts