Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the posts regarding tear staining. Dixie has lots of tear stains. She is 6 months now, still teathing. The vet has me give her 1/8-1/4 tsp of terramycin 2 times per week on her food. i just began this about 2 weeks ago. I havent found any posts refering to this med. Anyone use this? Did it work?

Second question: Dixie has areas of two rows of teeth. I took her to vet and vet said baby teeth were loose and not to worry until one year old. She thought they would fall out on own. I have read that some believe waiting distorts the bite. That it is better to pull the baby teeth in question. Opinions please. i'd rather not put her through the ordeal, but want what is best.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Fach@Sep 25 2005, 11:23 AM
I have been reading the posts regarding tear staining. Dixie has lots of tear stains. She is 6 months now, still teathing. The vet has me give her 1/8-1/4 tsp of terramycin  2 times per week on her food. i just began this about 2 weeks ago. I havent found any posts refering to this med. Anyone use this? Did it work?

Second question: Dixie has areas of two rows of teeth. I took her to vet and vet said baby teeth were loose and not to worry until one year old. She thought they would fall out on own. I have read that some believe waiting distorts the bite. That it is better to pull the baby teeth in question. Opinions please. i'd rather not put her through the ordeal, but want what is best.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103192
[/QUOTE]

My vet, who I trust, said exactly what your vet said. Catcher had more than 10 retained teeth and they all fell out on their own.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Fach@Sep 25 2005, 10:23 AM
I have been reading the posts regarding tear staining. Dixie has lots of tear stains. She is 6 months now, still teathing. The vet has me give her 1/8-1/4 tsp of terramycin  2 times per week on her food. i just began this about 2 weeks ago. I havent found any posts refering to this med. Anyone use this? Did it work?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103192
[/QUOTE]

One of the reasons for the tear staining problem my be the two rows of teeth. If there is any infection there, it will cause this. Years ago, I had a pup with two rows of teeth. This is before Maltese and learning about the problem. This little one developed horrible gums and infection because food would get caught between the two sets. The vet pulled 21 teeth, and he was better within 24 hours.
You are correct that having the two sets of teeth can distort the bite.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
The other girls have given you good advise; however, I don't think anyone addressed the antibiotic. You do not want to give tetracyclin (sp?) untill all of the adult teeth are in place. The tetracyclin can make the adult teeth grey in color.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut's staining was really bad before, his whole face was the brownish red color, and like your baby he had two rows of teeth. I waited a year and they were not going to fall out on their own
He really stopped eating and playing I assume because his teeth hurt so much. I got his teeth pulled in Feb. and he became a whole new pup. I totally understand why you and your vet don't want to put Dixie under again, but just my experience with Peanut, it was worth it. Within a week of the surgery, my little guy started eating his entire bowl of kibble and playing with all the toys he had been avoiding. Peanut is missing a tear duct so staining is something we will live with ( I can't see flushing them and putting him through that just for cosmetic reasons). But his stains are almost all gone, just a bit in the corner of his eyes. He got 11 teeth pulled. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Sep 25 2005, 11:01 AM
The other girls have given you good advise; however, I don't think anyone addressed the antibiotic. You do not want to give tetracyclin (sp?) untill all of the adult teeth are in place. The tetracyclin can make the adult teeth grey in color.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103199
[/QUOTE]
is terramycin a form of tetracyline?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey had 7 teeth pulled when she was spayed at 7 months old. Before this she had horrible tearstaining plus she didn't eat very well. Now she is 19 months old and she has no problems with staining and she eats great. Once her month healed she was a great little eater. Before she didn't eat well at all. Anyone who has had teeth/gum problems will tell you that you don't want to eat very much...it hurts.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Sep 25 2005, 12:01 PM
Peanut's staining was really bad before, his whole face was the brownish red color, and like your baby he had two rows of teeth.  I waited a year and they were not going to fall out on their own
  He really stopped eating and playing I assume because his teeth hurt so much.  I got his teeth pulled in Feb. and he became a whole new pup.  I totally understand why you and your vet don't want to put Dixie under again, but just my experience with Peanut, it was worth it.  Within a week of the surgery, my little guy started eating his entire bowl of kibble and playing with all the toys he had been avoiding.  Peanut is missing a tear duct so staining is something we will live with ( I can't see flushing them and putting him through that just for cosmetic reasons).  But his stains are almost all gone, just a bit in the corner of his eyes.  He got 11 teeth pulled.  Good luck!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103206
[/QUOTE]
I'm so happy he is feeling better now. Poor baby. Were his teeth loose and just didn't fall out? The vet said Dixie's are loose.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Fach+Sep 25 2005, 01:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Sep 25 2005, 12:01 PM
Peanut's staining was really bad before, his whole face was the brownish red color, and like your baby he had two rows of teeth.  I waited a year and they were not going to fall out on their own
  He really stopped eating and playing I assume because his teeth hurt so much.  I got his teeth pulled in Feb. and he became a whole new pup.  I totally understand why you and your vet don't want to put Dixie under again, but just my experience with Peanut, it was worth it.  Within a week of the surgery, my little guy started eating his entire bowl of kibble and playing with all the toys he had been avoiding.  Peanut is missing a tear duct so staining is something we will live with ( I can't see flushing them and putting him through that just for cosmetic reasons).  But his stains are almost all gone, just a bit in the corner of his eyes.  He got 11 teeth pulled.  Good luck!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103206
I'm so happy he is feeling better now. Poor baby. Were his teeth loose and just didn't fall out? The vet said Dixie's are loose.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103213
[/B][/QUOTE]
No Peanut's weren't loose at all. Sorry, I should have reread your post before I answered
Thanks, it's great to finally be done with the teething. I actually just told the vet to pull the few left from Tic while he was in for a neuter, didn't want to risk having to put him under twice. Sounds like you have a great vet and that Dixie will be done with teething in no time
My vet did recommend those rope bone toys because they act like floss and could help to ease out some of her loose teeth. Keep us posted on your little one

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Originally posted by Fach+Sep 25 2005, 01:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sassy's mommy
@Sep 25 2005, 11:01 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103199
is terramycin a form of tetracyline?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103209
[/B][/QUOTE]

Online dictionary says this:

Ter·ra·my·cin (tr-msn)
A trademark for the drug oxytetracycline.

You can talk to your vet he will know the answers. I might be wrong.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by AJ@Sep 25 2005, 01:31 PM
I heard that you are not supposed to give tetracyline until your malt is 1 year old....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103239
[/QUOTE]
Hmmmm, I don't like this. I guess if we don't get feedback from one of our vet techie members then I will call the vets office tomorrow. What is condidered safe for our fur kids at this age? Her staining is bad. Like peanut in a previous post it is all over.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
The only thing I have heard (I'm not a doggy expert) is that the tetracycline can cause teeth problems, I can't remember if it's yellow teeth, or a more serious prob than that. I thought (again, not an expert
) that the terramycin is an eye ointment. Terramycin Here's an article about tear stains and halfway down there is a section with "cures for tearstains" where it mentions tetracycline BheJei article

Maybe I just confused myself again

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Belle's Vet told me that he did not give tetracyclin for tear staining until all the adult permanent teeth were in because otherwise it would cause the new teeth to turn yellow. She still has some tear staining but I'm trying to deal with it and not give her antibiotics at all unless it gets really bad. It is what I call mediocre if there is such a word right now. I wash daily and keep hoping it will get better on its own. Good luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
ok I have tons of experience with this antibio. You dont need to give them any until they have adult teeth because like said before it can turn them yellow. I have used tylan for the tear staining and we give it to them at about you babys age. We also have eye drops we do. They are tobramysin(Sp?) These are the medications I use at work and I have used them for a long time on prissy. Now Prissy hasnt had anything for her tear stains in a while just because hers isnt that bad so I just trim the hair.

Just my 2 cents hope it helped

·
Registered
39 Posts
When Molly was losing her baby teeth she had a few that were not falling out. The permanent teeth were coming in and when I asked my vet about it, she told me to wait a little longer and if they didn't work loose, she would pull them. I did wait it out and they did fall out on their own. In her case her permanent teeth came in fine and no problem with crooked teeth.

Molly's tear staining was not too bad before she reached one year old. She turned one in January and when spring time hit this year, her tear staining got really bad. My vet told me that she doesn't prescribe an antibiotic for it, only when it would be a temporary such as showing the dog, but not to use on a regular or permanent basis. She recommended my trying Baby Benydrl, 1/2 tsp. 3 times a day, but she said I would have to give it Molly everyday. I wasn't too thrilled about giving her any type of meds but decided I had to try something. I read about the Collyrium for Fresh Eyes on the board here, got the ok from my vet on that, and have been using these two things for Molly. I have been giving Molly the Baby Benydrl just once a day and with using the Fresh Eyes have skipped a day here and there with the Baby Benydrl. It's been working great between the two. She is not tearing like she was before and since her tearing got really bad when spring came, I am guessing it is allergies and will subside some when the weather gets colder, so I can cut back a little more during the winter months.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by princessmolly@Sep 26 2005, 01:18 AM
When Molly was losing her baby teeth she had a few that were not falling out.  The permanent teeth were coming in and when I asked my vet about it, she told me to wait a little longer and if they didn't work loose, she would pull them.  I did wait it out and they did fall out on their own.  In her case her permanent teeth came in fine and no problem with crooked teeth. 

Molly's tear staining was not too bad before she reached one year old.  She turned one in January and when spring time hit this year, her tear staining got really bad.  My vet told me that she doesn't prescribe an antibiotic for it, only when it would be a temporary such as showing the dog, but not to use on a regular or permanent basis.  She recommended my trying Baby Benydrl, 1/2 tsp. 3 times a day, but she said I would have to give it Molly everyday.  I wasn't too thrilled about giving her any type of meds but decided I had to try something.  I read about the Collyrium for Fresh Eyes on the board here, got the ok from my vet on that, and have been using these two things for Molly.  I have been giving Molly the Baby Benydrl just once a day and with using the Fresh Eyes have skipped a day here and there with the Baby Benydrl.  It's been working great between the two.  She is not tearing like she was before and since her tearing got really bad when spring came, I am guessing it is allergies and will subside some when the weather gets colder, so I can cut back a little more during the winter months.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103406
[/QUOTE]
thanks for all your information. The teramycin does come in an ointment and the vet gave me that as well. Dixie is continuosly licking her nose and dr. thought her eyes were irritated so hence the ointment. I am a bit worried about the meds and her teeth. I think a call today to vet is in order. i will up date what i hear from her and share so everyone has an idea of one dr.'s train of thought. I have been looking in my area for the fresh eyes, but can't find it. I'll keep trying. will post later. thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Originally posted by Fach+Sep 25 2005, 01:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-AJ
@Sep 25 2005, 01:31 PM
I heard that you are not supposed to give tetracyline until your malt is 1 year old....
Hmmmm, I don't like this. I guess if we don't get feedback from one of our vet techie members then I will call the vets office tomorrow. What is condidered safe for our fur kids at this age? Her staining is bad. Like peanut in a previous post it is all over.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103247
[/B][/QUOTE]

I would not give a puppy tetracycline for tear staining. It will stain the adult teeths when they come in. I would wait until they finish teething and are adults. And tho the staining has to be real bad to go that route. An antibiotic is an antibiotic. The less they get the better.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by MalteseJane+Sep 27 2005, 03:45 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 01:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-AJ
@Sep 25 2005, 01:31 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103247

[/QUOTE]

I would not give a puppy tetracycline for tear staining. It will stain the adult teeths when they come in. I would wait until they finish teething and are adults. And tho the staining has to be real bad to go that route. An antibiotic is an antibiotic. The less they get the better.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104043
[/B][/QUOTE]
If not this product, then what to use? Is the angels glow safer???? Or is it another name for tetracyline?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Save your money. All those products don't work. Keeping the area clean by washing with warm water does as good a job. You have to be patient. Wait that the teething is over and see how the tearing goes at this time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts