Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need your feedback. I know no one on this forum were thrilled to hear of Terra's pregnancy. I have been rather quiet on the subject because of that. I also know that this kind of situation is very much disliked/hated/frowned upon etc. on this forum.

I wanted to know what the correct thing is...to not speak of it on this forum or to talk openly about her birth and pups. The end of her pregnancy is fast approaching and I am going to take her tomorrow to get an Xray to count heads and make sure she can whelp naturally.

I don't want to offend anyone who has expressed to me their dislike of this situation by posting about it.

I don't want to post about her pregnancy and birth and have anyone think i am encouraging this kind of situation or condoning it.

But I don't want to offend people by NOT posting about it (I know there are a few people that might want to her about her birth and pups).

Should I just ask those who want to know about Terra to PM me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hi Kelly, do what you want to do! I read your other post and understand your situation, please don't feel bad about it anymore :(

As your SM family, we're supposed to be supportive and accepting of each other. We want to know that everything is well with Terra, and I'm sure we'll all enjoy the puppy pictures if you choose to share them with us :)

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
What's done is done, as they say. Terra is pregnant and is about to give birth to some precious fluffs. I would enjoy hearing about Terra and the puppies and how it is going and seeing pics of them.

I think we have already hashed out the "what you should have done, etc." scenario, and I would like to think, as part of the SM family, that we would support you and embrace the little souls that are coming.

Please post about them and show lots of pictures. The ones that aren't interested don't have to look or respond to the threads.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I, too, understand your situation. You are by no means a backyard breeder nor are you advocating breeding to others. I would think that you should share the info and experiences and maybe some of us can even help with questions or concerns. It sounds as though you are being very responsible and got information and such from your vet but sometimes it might help to hear real experiences from "real" people who have been through it!

Our beloved pup that we lost earlier this year delivered a litter last fall and my wife had been through it with her a few times. (NO we were not backyard breeders, we did not do it for profit or one litter after another or anything like that, and YES our baby pups are getting fixed very soon and will not be having pups ever.) My wife, while not an expert or trained or anything like that, was very calm and competent... she took control of all of it and got the mom and pups through wonderfully. Like I said, not an expert or anything but that's the point... you might want input from people in a very similar position to you. :) I'm sure there are people on here who are at expert status, though.

Sooooo long story short, I would say yes, share. If people don't like it, they don't have to read it.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
What's done is done, as they say. Terra is pregnant and is about to give birth to some precious fluffs. I would enjoy hearing about Terra and the puppies and how it is going and seeing pics of them.

I think we have already hashed out the "what you should have done, etc." scenario, and I would like to think, as part of the SM family, that we would support you and embrace the little souls that are coming.

Please post about them and show lots of pictures. The ones that aren't interested don't have to look or respond to the threads.

I agree! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think anyone ever gets tired of cute little puppies. :wub: I hope all goes well with the delivery.
I assume since you are striving to be responsilbe about this that your girl will be spayed. If she has a c-section, will it be done at that time, or do you have to wait?

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts

:goodpost:

i always love seeing pictures of puppies

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I agree, share!! I definitely want to hear how the pups are doing1

How far along is Terra? Is she at least 58 days? Dont' xray her too soon, there is no need for it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think anyone ever gets tired of cute little puppies. :wub: I hope all goes well with the delivery.
I assume since you are striving to be responsilbe about this that your girl will be spayed. If she has a c-section, will it be done at that time, or do you have to wait?
The father has just finished healing from a neuter, so we have no chance of another litter. If she has a c-section, I was thinking of spaying her right then, but Stacy expressed a concern that she knew of someone who did that and the mother's milk dried up. I don't want to interfere with her milk production! I asked my vet about it and he said that won't happen...but I just don't want to take a chance. If she whelps naturally, I am waiting until the pups are weaned to spay, but I haven't decided what to do if she has a c section.

Also for those that have whelped, what kinds of supplies will I need if the vet feels she can whelp naturally? I have some supplies already (but didn't want to buy everything until I see the vet tomorrow to see what kind of birth to plan for).

I will start a thread tomorrow about what the vet said and a pic of her big belly. I have felt the puppies move and its just so magical.

I appreciate all the support, and I truly love being a part of such a diverse family of fluff lovers. :aktion033:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Off the top of my head... trying to remember from last year... you need like, a whelping basket (we used a plastic container meant to hold ice and drinks for a Halloween party or something, lol) with an old clean towel. This is where the mom will give birth. Something low so you can reach in easy but high enough sides to enclose it.

Definitely a scissors to cut the cord and also the bulb thing you use to clear the pups mouth after it is born. You'll want other towels on hand, too, to rub the pups clean. There are probably more supplies needed but those are pretty basic.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also, make sure to record everything, like order of birth and time, just for your own records. And we dotted the backs of the pups with a bit of an all-natural food color so we could keep the pups straight.

If it is safe and you feel prepared to handle it, the natural birth is fairly amazing. The day our dog gave birth was incredibly, incredibly emotional. Oh man.

Our dog gave birth in our backseat. We had taken her to the vet because she was in labor for a long time but not progressing so the vet gave her a shot to help speed things along. The vet was not far from where we were living so we thought we could get home but all of a sudden, she was ready to have them FAST. We pulled in to a parking lot and my wife delivered two pups in the whelping basket in the backseat. I cut the cord and I was just bawling; when the pups breathed and moved, it was such a relief I almost sobbed. Then holding the pups on the way home, I could not even look at them without crying.

Obviously, I am not a mom and have never been through a pregnancy or childbirth. Seeing it firsthand like that was just incredible.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Things happen sometimes,no matter how careful we are. I'd love to hear how all the fluffs are doing. We all know you will make sure they all get good homes. One of our female cockers got pregnant once,we put her in an exercise pen,I ran into the house to answer the phone,not thinking totally forgot for about half an hour that she was in the pen... DUH!:w00t:
Too late,one of our males got her.

Been there....

We also took in a foster that was pregnant,by her own father.... she gave birth like a champ,pups were all healthy too. All we had was a welping box and towels.

Post piccies,we do care!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Please know that we are here for you. Like others have said, accidents happen. Now it is time to think of those special babies and the momma. Those of us who love our babies will truly enjoy sharing your excitement and love of your new bundles! Please bring on the photos! I cannot wait to see them. Best of luck you. All will be fine!! Hugs to all of you!!!!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
To be honest, I don't know the story behind this. I know you were looking at showing? I'm not around much these days, and do not take the time with searching, as I should. So fill me in. What happened? And why?

·
Banned
1,869 Posts

Lynn,

Honestly, I love you - and I don't even know you. However, I know that you are kind and forgiving - and that says it all.

~Allie

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Definately post pics! I am sure there are even plenty show breeders that have had accidential matings. It won't be the first or the last!

Wishing Terra and easy and quick delivery!!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts