Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby girl Tessa has crinkly hair. It's mostly crinkly on her head and body and not sure whats going on. When I got her at 9 months her hair was a lot straighter than it is now. I thought that Maltese have straight hair. I spoke to the lady that I got her off of and she said that her hair may have been cut too much and too short. She also said that if I let it grow out it will become straight. She suggested that I use PurePaws shampoo and conditioner at 50/50 dilution. I've never used a product that I had to dilute....very nervous about it.

If I do everything the breeder has said to do, will Tessa's hair become straight? I hope so! If not any suggestions on how to get her hair straight will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What type of coat they have is determined by genetics. The standard calls for a straight silky coat, but it takes very careful breeding to produce a Maltese that is close to the standard.

Tessa may have had her puppy coat when you got her. Her "crinkly" coat is her adult coat.

You can blow her dry while pulling it straight, flat iron it, and spend a fortune on products, but if your Maltese doesn't have the correct coat it is easier to keep them in a puppy cut.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I think what the lady meant by "if you grow it out it will be straight" is that the weight of the long hair could weigh it down a bit.
She might never have super straight hair if it's not in her genetics.
My Coco had a straight puppy coat too, now it is wavy.
And it is really growing on me, I like patting her waves.
It gives her some volume on the top of her head.
She is like my little Chia Pet!
Maybe you will also find that you grow to love your furbabies coat.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Interesting to hear that other malts have a bit of a crimp going on. Diamond's crimp can usually be found at the undercoat of her ears and bum. When I blowdry Diamond, her crimp is gone (for the most part). I think it's adorable and it's interesting how perfectly 'crimped' the hair is :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts