Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tessa has had a very tough couple of days. On Nov. 23 she had her rabies vaccine, and did fine for the first week. Monday night she started itching like crazy and is clearly uncomfortable. She had a bad night Monday night and again last night; we haven't gotten a lot of sleep the past two days.

Our primary vet now has her on benedryl and I have a call into my holistic vet (he wasn't in yesterday) to see what else we should do or if he has a suggestion other than benedryl. My primary vet wholeheartedly agrees that this is a delayed reaction to the vaccine.

The most frustrating thing is Tessa also had a delayed reaction 3 years ago, but because it was delayed, my vet at the time refused to document it as a reaction. For those who have been on SM for a while, you might remember that we were at the vet (including ER) 3 times in 2 days because it started with diarrhea, then vomiting, then hives and itching. She was a very sick girl!

Because my former vet refused to acknowledge that it was a vaccine reaction, my current vet couldn't provide a medical exemption that met our county's requirements. (FYI, that refusal to acknowledge the reaction and her unwillingness to titer for distemper and parvo is why she is now my "former vet.") I'm just thankful that we didn't have the nausea this time - I have my holistic vet to thank for getting Tessa healthy enough to avoid that! All three of us (holistic, primary and me) thought that we would avoid any reactions this time because Tessa is so much healthier than she was three years ago; sadly, we were wrong.

Paws crossed that today is better! And no, she will never again receive a rabies vaccine. She now has a documented history of reaction so she is eligible for a medical exemption going forward.

For those who are unfamiliar with delayed reactions to vaccines, google Dr. Jean Dodds' work and read about the types of reactions that can occur weeks and even months later.

·
Super Moderator
9,693 Posts
I hope today goes better for her. When most of these laws avout required vaccines were passed, people did not understand much about the reactions dogs were having to them. Treatment for rabies was difficult, painful - stomach injections and not always successful. Treatments have gotten so much better and are certainly no picnic, but are not as painful and unpredictable as they once were. We should be able to titer for rabies.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I hope Tessa feels better today. Pipper is due for his rabies vaccine soon and it always worries me because he has never gotten rid of the lump his very first rabies vaccine gave him. Our last dog had a permanent lump at the injection site too.

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
I wish that they could Titer for Rabies too! It always a big concern when mine get that vaccine. Praying that Tessa feels better real soon, and I'm happy that she's exempt from getting that vaccine!!

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Polly sends licks to poor Tessa. I hate these "professionals" who think they know our fluffs better than we do. We also have a holistic-alternative vet and I don't know what we would do without her knowledge and expertise. We are wishing Tessa a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I hope Tessa is feeling better today.

With my doxies I always get a pre shot of benadryl before rabies for one of my guys.

If they are due for anything else I always wait a few weeks between shots.

Poor Gigi got everything all at once at the shelter but she was okay. Next year she will be getting titers done.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
My vet says they do titer for rabies but it is very expensive.

I wish that they could Titer for Rabies too! It always a big concern when mine get that vaccine. Praying that Tessa feels better real soon, and I'm happy that she's exempt from getting that vaccine!!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I wonder if Sassy had a reaction too, she's been scratching at her back and she's on flea prevention , her skin is raw from the scratching and it was flame red when I got her.. I used an antibiotic spray to help and it's better but occasionally she still digs at it..
Emily and Sasha got theirs just a couple months ago and did the same thing but not right away..
We titer , too bad we can't for rabies..
I asked what the difference between 1 and 3 year rabies is, vet said none, they just want to make sure by doing the first one,then a year later the second,then only needed every 3 after that..

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Poor Tessa! I hope she is feeling better! Maggie, would you mind telling me who your current primary vet is, or PMing the name to me? While we are happy with our current vet, Ozzie also had a delayed reaction years ago and our vet insisted it wasn't the vaccine but that it was a bite of some kind since it was a week later. Thankfully he has not had reactions since (and we do the 3 year now) but I'd like to keep your new vet's info at hand in case we ever want to switch. They sound like a great vet!

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
I am so sorry Maggie, for Tessa and for you too...I'm all too familiar with vaccine reactions. I will pray she gets better real soon!

Yes you can titer for rabies (not for legal purposes) and it isn't too expensive, I think $75 thru Dr. Dodds at Hemopet. I have titered both of mine and have waivers for both.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Have you considered having the lump removed? I don't mean to scare you, but my vet recommended that if it does not dissipate in 3 months it should be removed as they can become cancerous.

Tumor Related to Vaccinations in Dogs | petMD

I have had to have them removed from both Lexie and now Georgie :( They were both confirmed rabies vaccine related.

I hope Tessa feels better today. Pipper is due for his rabies vaccine soon and it always worries me because he has never gotten rid of the lump his very first rabies vaccine gave him. Our last dog had a permanent lump at the injection site too.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Maggie, I am so sorry that you and Tessa are going through this.

I totally understand how upsetting this is because, as you know, Snowball had a terrible adverse reaction to his last rabies vaccination.

It really bothers me that vets, in general, seem to be in denial that the rabies vaccination is endangering the lives of so many innocent dogs. And, that adverse side effects can occur well after the rabies vaccination was given to the dog.

I have been thinking of posting on my FB page Dr.Becker's (Mercola) more recent article about the overuse of vaccinations ... including, of course, the rabies vaccination. The article goes into more detail about side effects of the rabies vaccination, including the long term side effects that can occur. I just wish that everyone whose dogs have had adverse reactions to the rabies vaccination would speak up. Otherwise, I think that the majority of veterinarians will be in denial that so many innocent dogs are being harmed by so many unnecessary vaccinations.

I think titers are proving that our fluff babies probably only need no more than two vaccinations during their whole lifetime ... but, I could be wrong. As far as titering ... in the state if Virginia, it is not good enough if your dog, God forbid, bites someone and does not have current rabies vaccinations. But, I will NEVER subject Snowball to vaccinations ever again.

Please keep us updated on Tessa. I hope she feels better soon. Sending healing hugs.

·
Super Moderator
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My vet says they do titer for rabies but it is very expensive.
Mags, there is a titer for rabies but unfortunately state laws don't recognize it as a way of containing the disease. The people influencing state laws are only concerned about containing rabies in domestic animals so it doesn't get transmitted to a human; they have no concern whatsoever for the health of the dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts