Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

i don't know why i have not come to you all sooner about this but i need your thoughts please. i am worried sick about tessa. in the last 2 months our rottweiler began losing a lot of hair to where i suspected mange, i took her to the vet and he said that it was probably an allergic reaction to the food, but to ease my heart, i had them run tests for mites anyways and it came back negative, thank God. well the vet said it was fine to put them both on IVD, duck and potato. this is hypoallergenic food. however i just noticed that tessa has lost a ton of hair and her hair is all aroung the corners of the house, our rottie always sheds but now its both of them. morgan's condition immediately got better and it seems like tessa's got worse. morgan has a much softer and shinier coat already and tessa is softer but looks like her hair is thinning, so please help!!! i am so worried, could she be getting her adult coat? at what age do they do that, she still hasn't gone through heat or been spayed.

here are her symptoms that have me so worked up about her health:

1) her hair loss, when she is wet she looks like she has clumps of hair and almost no hair in other places like her legs and chest.
2)she scratches her head on the carpet, not excessively but i notice it, especially after a bath, but she has always done that.
3) THE BIG ONE: her private area, the hair there is a dark reddish brown color and has been that way for a while. i don't know why i never thought anything serious of it, i trimmed her hoping she would get better but its not improving. she licks that area a lot.
4)she has a red bump on the inside of one of her back legs that looks like a white head pimple.
5)she sounds really congested (allergies)

Please let me know what you guys think. her energy level is as always and she is eating and her stools are normal.

thanks for your help guys, i am so worried sick, i am taking her to the vet monday but that is 2 days away and i need to hear some of your thoughts on this.

could it be dust mites? or atopic dematitis?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My first thought was that it could be thyroid related but the other symptoms don't fit. I'm glad you're taking her to the vet as something definitely is not right. My first Maltese, Rosebud, had a low thyroid and thinning hair was a symptom along with being tired and not wanting to take a walk and seeking warmth. Her bloodwork was also totally messed up.

I know you love Tessa a lot and so I must suggest that you try to get that spay in before her first heat, so she can have the benefit of protection from breast and other female cancers.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention.... I rushed Kallie to the vet when she was a puppy because the hair on her private area was reddish brown. It turned out to be nothing more than staining similar to tear staining.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I can't help either, but I hope all is well at the vet. I will be thinking of you.

After reading K/C's post, I didn't realize Tessa wasn't spayed. Couldn't that be the discoloration problem around her privates?
Maybe not, but just wondering.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I don't have an answer, either but just wanted to let you know that Abbey (who is 9 months now) seems to be losing alot of hair now also. I find it floating around the house and when she lays on something she now leaves behind some hair. I assumed it to be the adult hair coming in but I am going to check with my groomer on Tuesday. I can't remember how old Tessa is but I was thinking around the same age as Abbey, so I thought I'd write to let you know Abbey seems like she is "shedding" also.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sorry I can't be of any help either. I just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you and hope all turns out well. Keep us posted as to your vet appt.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
could be many things..def bring her in...could be ring worm, or two different types of mites. is anyone in the house, human wise, itching?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i haven't been able to be a regular on this forum but its almost as if i had forgotten how wonderful and caring you all are. i want to thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and words of advice. i love having access to such a sweet and loving forum.

kallie/catcher's mom: thank you for your thoughts on this, thyroid is a very good guess but in this case, fortunately tessa does not seem to have any other signs, her energy level is great. but i am glad you brought this to my attention. by the way your signature is absolutely adorable. kallie looks like the perfect princess, i love her cut (do you groom her???)xoxoxox

tlunn: thank you for your help, i will keep you updated on her progress. i was quoted $450 for her spay and will be scheduling as soon as i call 2 other vets tomorrow.

Msloke: i don't think i have ever had a chance to chat with you on the forum but thank you for caring, it means a lot to me. i will post as soon as i hear from the vet.

Abbey: that really eases my mind because she is healthy in most aspects that would usually concern me. she eats well, she plays all day, she seems very happy, her stools are normal, her thirst and peeing has not increased or decreased. i hope the shedding is from the puppy to adult coat transition. xoxoxox i hope abbey is well.

okw: thanks for your post, are you in sb yet??

DanaH: i will let y'all know as soon as i find out, thank you for your thoughts.

Ladymontava: i thought it was mites as well because i itch sometimes but i have always been this way, for example after we went to the dog park today i was itchy the rest of the day. but no one else has problems so i'm hoping its not mites.

I just wanted to take time to thank each of you because it really means a lot to me. I am hoping this is due to the dog food transitions that she has been making, she was taking beneful for four days until i told my fiancee that tessa shouldn't eat food with food coloring in it because its unhealthy and could cause staining. .....

thanks again, i will post as soon as i get word from the vet. you guys are the best!!!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Maltese actually loses hair when they change to their adult coat. It just grows out so you will see two textures in one strain of hair. In all my 3 maltese, I have never experienced a problem with hair loss or notice any hair loss other than from my poor grooming ability. I would call or take your Maltese to a vet when there is this much hair loss to make you concernced. It is always better to be safe.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@Sep 19 2005, 01:35 AM
kallie/catcher's mom: thank you for your thoughts on this, thyroid is a very good guess but in this case, fortunately tessa does not seem to have any other signs, her energy level is great. but i am glad you brought this to my attention. by the way your signature is absolutely adorable. kallie looks like the perfect princess, i love her cut (do you groom her???)xoxoxox
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100937
[/QUOTE]

Awww, thanks for your nice comments.... No, unfortunately I'm not very handy with grooming equipment! Kallie goes to the groomer each month. She's good at faking people out with that innocent look!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@Sep 19 2005, 12:35 AM
tlunn: thank you for your help, i will keep you updated on her progress. i was quoted $450 for her spay and will be scheduling as soon as i call 2 other vets tomorrow.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100937
[/QUOTE]

:eek: Bring her here! You can get a spay for a tiny fraction of that cost!!!!
Good grief that is expensive!

There are definetely perks to living in hillbilly land!!!!!!!
I couldn't own any pets if my vets were that expensive!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I don't know that I can add anything to what has already been said, but I too had a Doberman with an underactive thyroid which caused hair loss so that was my first thought too, but there are a number of reasons for dogs to shed excessively and your vet would be the best one to find and treat the cause. Good luck and please let us know how Tessa goes at the vet.
Our thoughts are with you and Tessa

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Tessa's mom,

Sorry I don't have a response either. But if it's any comfort to you - we might be in the same boat. Chilly's dad, who was about 4 years old, suffered from significant hair loss. I don't know why, but I've been worried about hair loss with Chilly since I got him and I am too chicken to call the breeder and ask because I don't want to insult her babies.

Good luck, and please, let us know what the vet thinks!

-Mal&Chilly-

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Let us know how the vet visit goes for Tessa!! I hope she is okay

My husband is flying in on Thursday and we will be in SB on Monday - yeah!! I will pm you soon

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Was a blood panel done?.. and I'd still have the thyroid checked.
Also... regarding mites.. my Missy had similar problem and had skin scraping which turned up neg.. however our vet warned that the 'sarcoptic mite is VERY elusive!!)
her vet even did a "un-scientific" and un-orthodox "test".. she had Missy stand and as she scratched the edge of her ear.. it triggered a leg "scratching type" movement. She said this often is associated with the sarcoptic mite. we had more scraping .. nothing. She did treat her anyway as she thought it was indeed the mite.. it did clear though took longer than the norm..( Missy was also diabetic at the time) ...over the summer she was fine.. Since the "treatment appeared to take so long ( food was pretty much ruled out early on ) ..then in the fall it came back worse than the first... it did seem environmental.. more scraping to be sure.. nothing! It just progressed to where she was just miserable! we were waiting for an appointment the vet referred us to.
Both vet and we felt she needed a bit if a rest and relief..if only for a few days.. we decided in spite of the diabetes.. we'd try a low dose of pred . Well she got worse not better.. that sent a red-flag to the vet.. she did yet another scraping.. VOILA!!! the elusive "beastie" was finally detected.
Treatment was done.. and she was fine from then on.
So as you can see.. one single scraping may not show the beastie up!! and yes it is contageous.. though humans can get it and it is itchy.. the mite doesn't live its full cyle as it does on their canine "host".
I also found that in a multiple pet household... one may get a more severe case than another... likely having to do with the immune system of each .
I'm not saying this is wht your little one has.. but just so you have the info and know it is possible in spite of a neg scraping.
Terry, Angel Missy, and Naddie
Also know that due to the itching and scratching a secondary infection is not at all unusual.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Sep 19 2005, 08:15 PM
Was a blood panel done?.. and I'd still have the thyroid checked.
Also... regarding mites.. my Missy had similar problem and had skin scraping which turned up neg.. however our vet warned that the 'sarcoptic mite is VERY elusive!!)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101227
[/QUOTE]
Terry, how does a dog contract sarcoptic mites?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Actually Missy's vet said Missy was the last dog she'd dream of that would catch the sarcoptic mite.. ( often associated with foxes)... and we DO have foxes now and then pass thru the yard. but her vet said .."still,... there was always thought they had to have direvt contact.
However as with so many "micro-beasties" maybe they had learned to "transport" themselves more efficiently.. We do have a lot of wildlife that passes thru the yard.. OR though she is rarely aorung other strange dogs.. maybe just "somewhere" we had taken her had recently had an infected animal there..
We really don't know.. but that year... had it 2 X !!!!
First dog ever to have it and after the second time.. Missy never had it again either.. so quite a mystery!!
I recall at MO.. some one stated that their pampered pooches had also contracted it and was glad I brought it up because people think that nice, clean, pampered pooches woun't get it..but that is just not true!

Terry, Angel Missy, and little "Naddie"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts