Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

so tessa is growing in her adult teeth but on the bottom row her canines look strange. the best way to explain this is: where her fangs (sharpest teeth) are there are two rows of teeth meaning one behind the other. so four total on the bottom? i dont think this is in any way normal? do i have to have them pulled? the extra two? or will they fall out on their own?

thanks guys.

xoxo,

nousha and tessa

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Massimo's fell out, but it's not abnormal to get them pulled while they do a spay.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby's bottom ones fell out but we had to have his top baby canines removed. We also had to have some of his top front little ones taken out too and once that was done he never looked back. His teeth look great now.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
How old is Tessa now? Has she been spayed yet? If not you can have the remaining baby teeth pulled then. If she has already been spayed or your not having her spayed you can talk to you vet about pulling them. I read somewhere that dogs are usually done teething by 8 months old.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh thanks so much for your replies everyone. no, tessa has not been spayed yet but she is 6 months old. her vet said they would call me when it was time to spay her but isn't it time now? i'm hoping they fall out eventually but if not i will have them pulled during her spay.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I've never had a female dog, but from this site I learned that it's best to have the spay done before her first heat (I have no idea when that would be though). You're right though, if she's 6 months I would give the vet a call to schedule an appt. I can't believe Tessa is 6 months already

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Most of the time people spay their females around 6 monts old. You just want to be careful not to put it off to long. A co-worker of mine had a female puppy go into heat when she was 7.5monts old.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah i would get her spayed ASAP

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey's teeth are the same way right now! She is already spayed though so I hope they will fall out on their own. She's 7 months old now so I'll wait and see what happens in another month. I'm glad to see this is just normal, too!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Jul 24 2005, 06:44 PM
Abbey's teeth are the same way right now!  She is already spayed though so I hope they will fall out on their own.  She's 7 months old now so I'll wait and see what happens in another month.  I'm glad to see this is just normal, too! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84109
[/QUOTE]
play lots of tug games to help loosen them...its important that they come out. if they stay in they tap plaque and can damage the adult teeth

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Jul 24 2005, 07:44 PM
Abbey's teeth are the same way right now!  She is already spayed though so I hope they will fall out on their own.  She's 7 months old now so I'll wait and see what happens in another month.  I'm glad to see this is just normal, too! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84109
[/QUOTE]
Do give it time.... Catcher had something like 10 and it took until he was almost a year for them to come out but they finally did! Last time the vet checked there was only one left and I'm not sure it is even still there....

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't know what Alex did with his baby teeth. He must have eaten them because I never saw one. Two were pulled by the vet but the other ones are a mystery to me.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We had to have Puddles baby teeth pulled. He to got fangs and his baby teeth would not loosen up. It was only the 4 that gave him problems.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We had to have 5 baby teeth pulled. Valletta had a terrible case of stinky breath caused by her retained baby teeth. She was spayed a bit before she was 6 months and her baby teeth were removed a couple of months after that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would consult your vet or your neighborhood or city animal birth control center. Kenji had teeth lying around the house when he was five months old. His teeth are straight and doesn't have an overbite or under. I would get it checked out as early as possible to prevent gum disease or an overbite or underbite. You can also look under yahoo or google under maltese or akc.org. There are many sites available to check up on your pup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts