Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody has been such a huge help. Thank you all so much, from me, Teddy Kiki Rainy and lastly Sonny!
I got Frontline from the vet's today. Holy cow it is expensive. But it is worth it.
The puppies I had growing up were poodles and it was so sad - they were allergic to flea bites (which I hear is not that uncommon as it sounds). Maltese have especially sensitive skin, and Teddy is proof of that. So I wanted everyone's advice on the flea control.
I've never used Downey before - how do you cut it (dilute it) in parts?
PS my cats were mad more than anything about having the collars on. They were relieved to no end when I took them off today.

PSS You are SO not a witch for saying that's why you don't take your dog to dog parks. I hate to say this, because it sounds mean, but I think she got fleas from a friend's house of Jimmy's. I bet their house has them, and they aren't really as cautious as he and I would be about it. She isn't alowed to go there anymore. We all should be careful about where we take our dogs..not just because it is a pain in the butt to get rid of the problem(imagine -- de-fleaing 4 animals and two of them being sassy cats with claws) but also, because it can be dangerous to them, and we all know how much our fur babies fill up our hearts to no end

Thanks everybody. I REALLY appreciate your help.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Teddy7@Oct 4 2005, 09:07 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106244
[/QUOTE]

I dilute it. I use a cap of Ultra Downey (regular scent-pink top)...measured to the line inside the cap..to about two cups of water. I pour it over him in the bath after he is shampoo'd and conditioned. I let it sit for a second while I trim his eye hairs....and then rinse. He smells like a fluffy, clean towel for a few days! But it has really seemed to work with flea repelling...I am a believer for now!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by tlunn+Oct 4 2005, 10:17 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teddy7
@Oct 4 2005, 09:07 PM

I dilute it. I use a cap of Ultra Downey (regular scent-pink top)...measured to the line inside the cap..to about two cups of water. I pour it over him in the bath after he is shampoo'd and conditioned. I let it sit for a second while I trim his eye hairs....and then rinse. He smells like a fluffy, clean towel for a few days! But it has really seemed to work with flea repelling...I am a believer for now!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106248
[/B][/QUOTE]

I wonder if you can use Downey on cats? I know the vet said you can rub a dryer sheet on them in the winter to minimize the amout of static they carry.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Teddy7+Oct 4 2005, 09:59 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 4 2005, 10:17 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teddy7
@Oct 4 2005, 09:07 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106248

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if you can use Downey on cats? I know the vet said you can rub a dryer sheet on them in the winter to minimize the amout of static they carry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106277
[/B][/QUOTE]

Dunno, b/c of the licking part.

Mine don't go outside...so I don't put it on them...just the advantage in case Brink carries some fleas in the house...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Just a little advice since you were in sticker shock over the price of Frontline at your vet's......

Next time, don't buy it from your vet unless he will match prices if you find it cheaper. Some will. Mine doesn't, unfortunately.

The individual pipettes are the most expensive way to buy Frontline since you pay for the individual packaging. I have used Frontline spray for years and it is way more economical and just as effective. In fact, it supposedly does a better job of killing live fleas than the spot on.

I put some on a cosmetic puff (not a cotton ball - too absorbant) and rub it on, but you can also spray it directly according to the directions. I can even use it on my cats. One small bottle lasts for years I had to throw my last one out, finally, because it expired before I used it all up!

I got my new bottle from Entirelypets.com, one of our SM sponsors, for $23.99.

http://www.entirelypets.com/fronfleandti.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 5 2005, 03:07 AM
Where in Chicago do you live?  I am up by the WI border.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106354
[/QUOTE]

Woops - I replied to ladysmom! I live in Round Lake Beach. You and I are very close to each other.
We should get Teddy and Toby together to play sometime (toby and teddy -- how cute does that sound). That is of course when we are all flea ridden!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts