Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wub:

I love you all. I've learned SO much about taking care of a Maltese here. I was a groomer some 35 years back, so I knew what I was getting into with a Malt, and how to generally take care of her coat. I know some great tricks for removing mats and getting a dog to behave during a bath and dry and naillcutting, etc. But my experience was from 35 years back, and new products have become available since. I've been pretty much cut off from the "grooming world" all this time.

And THAT's what I'm talking about here. By trying out different products various people recommended here, I found what combination of shampoos, conditioners, dematting sprays, etc, work best on Button's coat. Every dog is individual, of course, and I've found that the Chris Christensen products work best for her. Other products might work best for other dogs, but the CC stuff seems to suit Button nicely.

And I got the Big Payoff yesterday. Button had to go in for her annual wellness check, and by happenstance, her regular vet had a family emergency to take care of, so she was seen by his partner instead.

He had never seen her before, and when he walked into the examining room, his face lit up like nothing I've ever seen! He couldn't keep his hands out of her coat... he just kept running his hands through it as he did her exam. Her coat has been growing slowly, so it isn't quite full yet, but he said she was the most beautiful, well-kept Maltese he'd ever seen! :chili:

He just kept talking to her and telling her what a beautiful girl she was, and I think Button fell in love with him in spite of the shots! LOL! He certainly fell in love with her, and it showed in the way he handled her and talked to her and cooed over her. Her coat is extremely dense, and he was impressed over how mat-free and gossamer silky it was.

Yes, her regular vet fusses over her too, but he's been caring for her since she was a baby. This guy had never seen her before (hadn't even caught a glimpse of her in the waiting room), and his reaction was totally amazing to me. He GUSHED over her, and had absolutely no criticisms of how she's been cared for. B)

So.. my thanks to all of the experts who hang out here for the tips and suggestions of products. It has really paid off with how she looks, and feels, and with what a beautiful, healthy, happy young adult she is! :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Wow that's terrific. You've obviously been doing an outstanding job and I feel the same way, that if it wasn't for SM, I don't think Tyler would look, eat or feel as good as he does. :thumbsup: I think you should change vets to the partner!! I like the attention he showered on Button. In fact if he was single I'd say someone here should marry him.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: Telling Button how beautiful she is and stroking her hair sounds so good to me. Hey I might even trade in my DH.:w00t::HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
That is wonderful to hear!! And I to LOVE SM too, I have learned so much and often when I have free time, just reading,reading as much as I can, especially on the grooming aspect. Button is such a little beauty and YAY for a great check up!!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i want to thank sm too , i know how u feel , personally i never had a maltese beforei had just read n read but at sm u guys really love n have tons of knowledge for that i am thankful .. buttons is adorable and u should be proud !!!

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Ahhhhh, that is so sweet!! Thanks.....and the new vet sounds like someone I would want for my regular vet..Just saying!!!! :aktion033:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well isn't that the best feeling you could ever get at the vets. And what a credit to you!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone. B) I love this place.

i want to thank sm too , i know how u feel , personally i never had a maltese beforei had just read n read but at sm u guys really love n have tons of knowledge for that i am thankful .. buttons is adorable and u should be proud !!!
Button is the first small dog of any kind I've ever had. I've always had sizable (50-110 lb) dogs before, so getting used to having a tiny dog underfoot all the time took some adjustment! I knew from my grooming experience all the work that was going to have to go into maintaining a long, delicate coat, but there's been so many new products brought onto the market in the last 35 years. As I recall it, in the shop where I used to work, we were using Clairol shampoos and cream rinse on the Malts when they came in. There used to be a Clairol product that was a blueing that white-haired ladies used to get the yellow out of their hair, and that was the shampoo we used. It's nice to know that there are now products out there dedicated to keeping fragile coats in top shape.

The people here are great, and I got caught up on what to do when fast. :wub:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts