Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Linda (Chloe and Bailey's mommy) started the thread about favorite Turkey Day foods.I thought it would be fun(ny) to share some holiday cooking disasters. I'll go first.

Anyone who's lived on a military post/base knows housing has gas cooking. It was the only the second time I cooked a turkey and it weighed in at around 22#. I put it in the oven at 5AM fully expecting to have dinner about 2:30 in the afternoon. Well what I didn't calculate was EVERYONE on post was also cooking a turkey and there was a huge draw on the gas supply. The oven couldn't get up to temperature. Everything was ready to go for 2:30 except the turkey! I cut what was cooked and placed it on a platter. It wasn't the presentation I had in mind. Ever since then I've been leery of cooking with gas on a holiday. :unsure:

So there's my disaster, what's yours?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had just remodeled my kitchen and all my cabinets were in cream. I was so proud of my new kitchen and wanted to have eveyone to my home. We made a roast that year. There was a gravy for the roast that was made from all the juices and vegetables that was cooked with the roast. So, first of all the roast took much longer for some reason than I had planned and I was rushing to get it all done. I took the roast out, put everything that needed blended into a blender, put the lid on and the tuned on the blender! :exploding:I guess a mixture of the heat from the stuff I put in and probably a little over filling of the blender was just too much and it exploded everywhere. My cabinets were an orangeish brown and so were my clothes. I learned a valuable lesson that day on using blenders and giving myself a little extra time!! I still find traces every now and then of that sauce.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
I cooked my first turkey about 36 years ago, I had only been married a couple years and had my in-laws over for the first time for a holiday. No one told me that there was a bag inside the turkey that i was supposed to take out before I cooked it......:brownbag:.....I have never been able to live that one down...:blush:

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Frozen turkey breast, for a small gathering, that wasn't defrosted after a day and a half in the refrigerator! I think we ate at about 8 p.m.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I cooked my first turkey about 36 years ago, I had only been married a couple years and had my in-laws over for the first time for a holiday. No one told me that there was a bag inside the turkey that i was supposed to take out before I cooked it......:brownbag:.....I have never been able to live that one down...:blush:

pretty much the same story :brownbag:

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Okay, raise your hand if you've never done this with your first turkey. :blush: I think it's happened to almost everyone if they did one on their own. I've been pretty lucky through the years (I never trust those pop ups since the meat's dried out by then; i use a thermometer) My SIL had an oven that died on Christmas Day with 23 people in attendance for turkey. Not a good thing and one year she was sick and everyone got sick from it. We called her Typhoid Joanie after that. :w00t:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Well, today my aun't oven broke halfway through cooking the bird, so she brought it over to my house. Thankfully she had cooked everything else beforehand though. The bottom burner in the oven went up in flames, and fell apart. The smoke detectors went off, and the foil covering the turkey was covered in soot. Nothing else was harmed though, just the oven. I think we can replace the burner without having to get a whole new oven.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
My biggest disaster happened in 2008. We had guests over for Thanksgiving and I was in the kitchen cutting up items for the relish tray when the knife slipped and I cut my middle finger soooooooooooooooooooooo deeply that I had to go to Urgent Care for stitches. Thank goodness everyone had glasses of wine and were watching a football game. They just stayed and nibbled while DH drove me to Urgent Care (about 1 1/2 miles away).

But, when I came back, we did have a lovely dinner. :) (But my finger was throbbing. LOL) Pass the wine please.

·
Premium Member
13,437 Posts
It wasn't for Thanksgiving but I did want to brown the bottom of the turkey to get a nice crispy skin all over, so I needed to flip it upside down, but I tried this while it was still in the oven. I started to turn the turkey and it I swear it came to life and flipped right out of the pan onto the oven rack...juices splashing and catching on fire. Meanwhile the turkey was searing on the rack. I managed to pick up the turkey with oven mitts, take out the racks and pat out the little fires...my oven mitts were criss crossed with black singes from the element. I don't remember the dinner just the escape attempt. So.... don't try this at home!

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
pretty much the same story :brownbag:
Me too!!!:blush: I think someone ask me where the giblets were and we took it out about halfway through cooking times, so all was not lost. I have never lived it down in the family to this day!!!:w00t: We all learn through trial and error in our young years!!!:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
True story - My daughter has to have someone else around who will take the bags of stuff out of the turkey. She will NOT reach her hands inside the cavities. She said that she just can not "violate" the turkey that way. :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
You should have seen me last year trying to figure out how to cook the turkey breast side down. For the life of me, I could NOT figure out how to balance the darn thing on the breast bone. I finally just ended up cooking it with the breast up.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
OMG, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying!

About 17 years ago the entire family went to Florida to have Thanksgiving with my SIL and her family. We cooked the bird in a foil pan and when it was done my MIL was helping to remove it from the pan with a couple of large meat forks... yep. She speared right through the foil and we had superheated turkey juice all over the place and almost dropped the bird trying to get everything over the sink!

Thank goodness for wine!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Despite the flaming oven, our turkey turned out fine. I cooked it for the 2nd half of the time and it came out good. I did transport it across town in my trunk though. And put it in a big plastic cement mixing pan so I wouldn't get turkey juice all over my trunk. Kind of a funny sight. Picture a 20lb turkey in basically a big cat litter pan!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I have never baked a turkey with the bag inside. Starting about my Junior year in high school I made dinner almost every night.

My biggest Thanksgiving mishap was the pumpkin pie. I only bought 1 can of pumpkin for the pie.. Nothing was open so I made a little flat like a pizza pie pumpkin pie. Unfortunately for me they got it on video tape. VCR's aren't even sold so that tape may never ever be seen again.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
I have never baked a turkey with the bag inside. Starting about my Junior year in high school I made dinner almost every night.

My biggest Thanksgiving mishap was the pumpkin pie. I only bought 1 can of pumpkin for the pie.. Nothing was open so I made a little flat like a pizza pie pumpkin pie. Unfortunately for me they got it on video tape. VCR's aren't even sold so that tape may never ever be seen again.:HistericalSmiley:
Debowah - dis is Tywer. I know my mommy has da VCR machine at aw home. I tink I might find out who has dat tape and pway it. Howeva if you send me da tweats dat I wike, I wiw just put a bone in dare and dey can't pway it. Deaw? (Gotta go, da moms comin. )

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
This is not a Thanksgiving faux pas -- but I just had to share after laughing so hard from your stories.

My Mom was NEVER known as a "cook" -- but she always told me that she had "other talents". LOL

Anyway -- right after she and my Dad were married, his family was having a Bar-b-que to introduce Mom to the rest of Dad's family and friends. Mom asked if there was anything she could bring and they asked her to make a 3 bean salad. She had no idea how to do that, so she called her sister (a great cook). My Aunt gave her the list of ingredients and told Mom to mix them all together. The one thing she didn't mention was that YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO COOK THE BEANS FIRST.

Mom never lived that one down and it's still a story told many times over in our family. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts