Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to my sister-in-law's home today for our family Thanksgiving meal and since she has 4 larger dogs that are inside/outside dogs I did not bring Sassy along. Poor little girl spent Thanksgiving home alone.
Any way this means that Sassy did not eat a thing all day and after we got home I noticed that she seemed to be a little shaky, so I immediately gave her some Nutri-Cal. She licked it up like it was the best thing ever. Then in about 10--15 minutes she threw up what looked to be kinda runny Nutri-Cal. So I gave her a minute to settle down and I gave her about 1/2 teaspoon of Karo syrup. That stayed down so the I gave her some browned ground beef that I made yesterday for her to have for her special dinner today. She ate that like a hungry bear and that stayed down. She is sleeping at my feet now and seems to be doing fine. Do you think that her blood sugar was just dropping from eating absolutely nothing all day? She normally does not eat her kibbles until bedtime, but I do give her little snacks during the day, ie little piece of cheese, little corners of cracker, etc. Today since she was alone I am sure she did not eat a thing. I will be keeping the mommy eagle eye on her tonight, but I was just wondering if you guys feel like me.....it was probably just a case of her needing something in her system and the blood sugar was beginning to drop?

·
Registered
802 Posts
If the food you gave stays down and there is no runny poop or more throwing up...I would not worry about it. Also, keep and eye on how she is acting. You will know when they are not themselves.

Sorry to hear she had a lonely Thanksgiving. You know the pups know when it's not an ordinary day and sometimes won't eat when they are missing up. Could be that?

Hope she feels better.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Yes, I would guess that not eating all day caused the shakiness and probably the Nutri-Cal on an empty stomach may have caused her to throw up. It sounds like she is doing better now, thank goodness!

Pat, I would definitely feed her more than once a day. I usually give K&C breakfast and supper and a few kibbles at lunchtime and a few before bed. This way they are never ravenously hungry.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I hope precious Sassy is feeling better. Please keep us posted

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am sure it would have been as you say from her not eating all day. Scooby is the same, if we are not here he simply will not eat a thing till we come back. Fortunately we never leave him alone for any length of time as a rule but we do have a day next month when he will have to stay home while we make a long trip to Chicago. This will indeed be a long round trip and we will definately be leaving some food down for him and also have a neighbor come over and let him out to go potty. I still worry though that he will not eat till we come home, and we have to leave very early in the morning, but hope to be back in the mid afternoon. I am sure he won't eat for the neighbor either even though he adores her. These little furkids are a worry sometimes that's for sure.
I sure hope Sassy is back to normal and feeling better

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Awwww, poor Sassy!!! I hope she is feeling better.
I have a somewhat related question since Miko threw up this morning too. Do you wash out her mustache/beard afterwards? Cause although it looks clean, it has a bit of a throw up odor (he threw up while we were sleeping). Ughhhhhh.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Oh, poor Missy.
I think she didn't eat and was really stressed with you gone so long. Report back in when you can and tell us how she is doing.

okw...I would shampoo the lower face only, yes. Because if your nose can smell a pukey smell still....their sensitive little nose surely can.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I am just hoping that Sassy is feeling better today! She is entirely too pretty to not be feeling well.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I hope Sassy is feeling great today!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am sorry it has taken me so long to update about Sassy. I was very worried about her when we went to bed Thursday night, but I think she is feeling ok since then. My mom is here and she is sitting with granny watching TV and just hanging out. But she did the race car run around the family room tonight so I think she is feeling pretty much her old self. I did not even groom her Thursday night because she was like a little limp rag just laying around. So she got groomed tonight and we practiced our sit/stay while I walked 20 feet away with a treat (practice for her evaluation for therapy.) Then "Sassy come." She did her commands and seems to be feeling good. I did a special project today for my Secret Santa and Sassy hung out with Granny. I think she thinks granny is her own personal tummy rubber.
She begged for some people food tonight and I gave her a little plain rice which she gobbled. So all is looking well. Thank you all for the reasurrance that I was on the right thought pattern. I think sometimes I go brain dead when she gets sick.

Pat, I would definitely feed her more than once a day. I usually give K&C breakfast and supper and a few kibbles at lunchtime and a few before bed. This way they are never ravenously hungry.[/B]
I do normally feed Sassy several mini meals a day, ie at breakfast she gets a few of my cereals, at lunch she normally get a little cheese or something along that line, at dinner she gets something like baby carrots, or string beans, and then at bed time she eats her kibbles. Also, sometimes during the mid-day if I don't have anything for lunch that she can share she will have a few kibbles, but she tends to like to wait for bed time to eat her kibbles.

The problem is that when she is left at home alone she does not eat. In fact, I have often wondered if she stays (sleeps) on her little kennel (door is off) then entire time we are gone. I always make sure she has plenty of water, and her kibbles are down 24/7 but normally she does not even potty while she is alone. We arrive back home and she will run and greet us, kissy kissy, licky licky and then when I go and potty she will go and potty.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts