Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you read in another post, I was a little distraught over what to do at Thanksgiving b/c I wanted to take Brinkley, and my grandmother would not let him even COME to her house...

so, after lots of thought, we finally got online and searched out a pet-friendly hotel in the Tulsa area. Only one was still available with rooms...whew!...that was a close call!! It is about 10 minutes from my sister...and just a jump on the highway to go about 20-30 minutes to my grandmother's.

Brinkley is welcome at my sister's, I don't know about my parent's (we are not really on speaking terms), so I thought staying closer to her would be better. We are going to drive the 9 hours there on Wed....go to my sister's...stay at the hotel...then go to my grandmother's for T'giving. NOW- what to do on that day b/c he is not welcome...or so she says...this is what I did...I pruchased a big crate on ebay...for a GREAT price. It is the big 42" long kind. (so proud of it!!!-my bassett and lab will fit in it too if I need them to. -not together at the same time of course!
)I did lots of measuring and decided that a small wee pad...a bed...and play room would fit in there-not huge...but enough room to move around. (anyone else have this size?)...anyway, my plan is to ask her if he can come in the crate and stay in the garage...then when we are not busy..weather permitting...I can take him out to play...otherwise, the other option is that he stays in the hotel without us all day..and we have to cut T'giving visiting short b/c I can't/won't leave him that long alone in a strange place.
I don't know what we are doing on Friday yet...probably visiting more with my sister and new neice.
Saturday we are coming back home. Whew...!
I am looking forward to going, but aggravated that my grandma is being so stubborn!
I keep saying that she just hasn't met him (Brinkley) yet...

What are anyone else's plans? Anyone gotta travel like us?

By the way, thanks for the pet-friendly hotel link...someone posted that a while back, and i used it!!! :D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
You rather go through all that trouble versus letting me babysit Brinkley? HAHAHAHHA I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my dogs arent welcomed at my brothers house....but oh well. lol. we're family, he has to deal with it. so what i would do (this was before gruffi) was take sprite in her carrier, leave her in there for a couple of hours(but she was on my lap the whole time or on the floor next to me in her carrier) and then after 2 hours, i would take her for a walk. she'd go potty, we'd play a little, and she'd go in her carrier again. and then after another few hours, i'd leave.
it worked out well.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Sounds like that would work!

One thing that has helped Lexi in strange places is to cover the crate with a sheet. I have a light grey sheet that I normally use to cover the 3 sides and top (if she can see me at night she barks). It is nice an light so light and air can get through but she can't see out. When we go to visit and I have to leave I cover the crate completely. This way she doesn't realize she is in a strange place.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My deal is i won't go anywhere with out Maxi, fortunately my maxi is welcome in my sisters, brothers and moms home...My neices and nephews refer to maxi as there cousin i feel bad for you that you have to go through that aggravation will your grandma be flexible at all? i wish you luck

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Dang this just got me thinking. My family is talking about having Thanksgiving at my brother's new house. I don't think I will be able to bring Lexi with me. She will have to stay at my parent's house. Which is only 5 minutes away. My brother's fiancee's has twin nieces that might be there. They are only a year old. Plus my brother is alergic to dogs and would probably prefer that I not bring Lexi.

I'll have to talk to my mom and see if they have decided on who is having thanksginving.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Wow, I am very impressed by your solution. To me, the idea of keeping your sweet pup in a garage is beyond comprehension...however, it does seem like a nice compromise. Maybe once Grandma see your pup, she'll change her mind!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yes, I am the "love me, love my dog" type. However, my family would shun me if I FAILED to bring Pico. They look forward to seeing him more than seeing me, I think.

I will be driving to Dallas for Thanksgiving and he will come with me but I am flying to Florida for Christmas and since I am leaving my husband all alone over the holidays (he's a curmudgeonly type whose family never really lived together as a family...it's a long story) so I am leaving Pico with him for Christmas for company.

I will miss him terribly. Pico, that is.
I am used to leaving my husband behind when I visit my children on the holidays.

I think Tlunn was very creative in her solution to the situation.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 3 2004, 02:21 PM
You rather go through all that trouble versus letting me babysit Brinkley? HAHAHAHHA  I hope everything works out for you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14674
[/QUOTE]

I told you that you are the COMPLETE opposite direction from where I am going..duh!!!!!!
I am gonna send you a map of the US...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Nov 5 2004, 06:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Nov 3 2004, 02:21 PM
You rather go through all that trouble versus letting me babysit Brinkley? HAHAHAHHA  I hope everything works out for you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14674
I told you that you are the COMPLETE opposite direction from where I am going..duh!!!!!!
I am gonna send you a map of the US...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15095
[/B][/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAAH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts