Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I just got a postcard notice stating that animal control was going to be in my neighborhood, checking up on dog licenses.
Of all the years of having dogs and cats (all spayed, neutered, and vaccinated), never once was I treated like a criminal.

Sophie is spayed and vaccinated.
She's just not micro-chipped and not registered in the city. I know I should get her chipped, but I haven't made the time for it.
As for the dog license, I'm not fond of paying year to a municipality who does nothing for animals in need.

Now I have to stash her like a fugitive at a relative/friend's house. :angry:

I'm not at all financially in-need nor am I nit-picky/stingy, I just don't like being backed into a corner, forced to do something I don't believe in. Also, this feels as if I'm being punished for adopting my sweet pup.

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to get this off my chest.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
We have to have our Dogs licensed here in Lancaster, PA but I am sure that there are many who do not do so. Chrissy is Microchipped which does not require a License but Snuggles does and I get a break because I am a Sr. They did go door to door a couple of years ago in our area but not sure of the outcome of the neighbors who have Dogs?

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
That is so crazy to me! I know I live in Arkansas but who would think they have to register a pet? I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope they get to your house and you can get Sophie back home where she belongs.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
We have to buy a dog tag (license) every year. It only cost $20/year here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they made license requirements less stringent, I might've abide and applied for one.
The biggest issue I have with them is that my Sophie has to get vaccinated every 1-3 years for rabies. There is no rabies vaccine waiver, nor is there any tier test.
Also, I'm not too keen on having Sophie in the city's registry. We get enough solicitation and junk mail, thank you very much!
We have to have our Dogs licensed here in Lancaster, PA but I am sure that there are many who do not do so. Chrissy is Microchipped which does not require a License but Snuggles does and I get a break because I am a Sr. They did go door to door a couple of years ago in our area but not sure of the outcome of the neighbors who have Dogs?
Yea!
Actually, Sophie is still at home with me. We just won't respond to solicitors ringing the doorbell lol
That is so crazy to me! I know I live in Arkansas but who would think they have to register a pet? I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope they get to your house and you can get Sophie back home where she belongs.
The biggest issue I have is that she must have yearly or 3 year rabies vaccine. I'm not too fond of unnecessary over vaccinations. Besides, whenever we're out for a walk, all she wants to do is to run back home to nap.
We have to buy a dog tag (license) every year. It only cost $20/year here.
If you're in LA, you can be fined $120.
ummmm.....Abbey is liscensed. one out of 5 isn't that bad, is it?
I see the point of micro chipping. But what's the purpose of a pet license? Just another way the city is trying to tax their citizens.
We live in the country now, so licenses aren't required, but even when we lived in the city, I did not license them.

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
I won't license my dogs, because then they want a rabies vaccine at least every three years. I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "If a law is unjust, it is your duty to not comply," or something to that effect. I have not seen any good come from animal control.
When I lived in Los Angeles, a crazy neighbor allowed their aggressive Akita to roam freely. He threatened many of us, but animal control never responded to our pleas to remove the dog, or have his owners keep him contained.

Now, here is a story that my father told me. When he was a child, during the depression, local authorities made a law that you had to license your dog. This was for no reason other than a way to collect revenue.

My father lived in the country with his grandparents. When he heard of the law, he walked, many miles to town to pay the fee. But, when he returned home, animal control had already arrived and shot his pet dead.

As I understand, Los Angeles animal control insists on spay and neutering animals at such a young age that it puts them in serious jeopardy. Combined with the rules that require life threatening over vaccination, I choose to resist.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I completely agree with your rationale and feel for you! If humans have the right not to be vaccinated, why not our furry family members. The fact that they're going door-to-door suggests that they either have poor record keeping and/or they're grasping at straws.

I live in the worst part of the city: In a corner of 3 cities and in an unincorporated county. If I need any services (fire, police, animal control), I have to call all three neighboring cities. I'm in an urban area, and yet to get any help, I would have to wait hours, or even days.

When I called for animal control for a roaming pack of raccoons, no one would come out and remove these creatures. When there was a skunk continuously spraying in our neighborhood, nothing would come of it. Whenever I call the police, it takes at least 6 hours for them to arrive (I live within 1 mile of the local police department).
It's ridiculous and I hate it. Even though I pay taxes for these services, I cannot use them at all.
My local corrupt police department bully's my parents for "donations". The local "charity" that paints the sidewalk numbers try to extort us for services not requested. Now, animal control is trying to do the very same.

It feels as if things are going backwards. Back in the old country (Taiwan), there would be local thugs/gangs hired by Chinese government officials who would shake down citizens and local businesses for "fees" and "taxes". And now back in the US, Constitutional rights no longer means anything anymore (i.e. right to privacy, right not to be unfairly taxed).

I not only will resist paying for a pet license, I will not allow it. I have the right to stand by my beliefs. I've told all my neighbors with pets not to open their doors, nor to respond to these tax collecting thugs. #2ndAmendment :thumbsup:

I won't license my dogs, because then they want a rabies vaccine at least every three years. I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "If a law is unjust, it is your duty to not comply," or something to that effect. I have not seen any good come from animal control.
When I lived in Los Angeles, a crazy neighbor allowed their aggressive Akita to roam freely. He threatened many of us, but animal control never responded to our pleas to remove the dog, or have his owners keep him contained.

Now, here is a story that my father told me. When he was a child, during the depression, local authorities made a law that you had to license your dog. This was for no reason other than a way to collect revenue.

My father lived in the country with his grandparents. When he heard of the law, he walked, many miles to town to pay the fee. But, when he returned home, animal control had already arrived and shot his pet dead.

As I understand, Los Angeles animal control insists on spay and neutering animals at such a young age that it puts them in serious jeopardy. Combined with the rules that require life threatening over vaccination, I choose to resist.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Every place I've lived, small town to big city, has required licensing and current rabies vaccinations. Two of my dogs have had cancer, and their vets are prepared to write up a document stating they should have medical waiver of further vaccinations, but this reminds me that I haven't dealt with that yet. Unfortunately as far as animal control is concerned, a waiver means you are not supposed to take your dog off your premises!

All my dogs have been microchipped, and I think it is a good idea. So far I have not needed to track them down, but there's one or two that I think could be runners if I got distracted. :) Knowing their personalities and the appearance of two oldies, I don't think anyone who might find them would want to keep them, but if I had sweet gorgeous young doggies, I would be more worried! :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Licenses, Rabies vaccines, & titers

Glad to know I'm not alone with these type of concerns about to license or not to license! I've been very torn myself with trying to decide weather or not to license my boy. I'm concerned about being 'forced' to get so many rabies vaccines. In the past I've always had Baby vaccinated every single time the vet said it was due and time to do so, and Baby currently has a valid rabies vaccination. But for the future I'm looking into getting a rabies titer next time instead of the vaccine when he is due again in 2019. Hemopet.org in California offers a rabies titer I can buy and my vet agreed to order it if I want it when the time comes.

The 'problem' is that I have to find out if my particular town will give me a waiver or not. I am confused because I had originally thought that the vet would be the one to issue the waiver & that I would bring that waiver to the town. But my vets office told me it is the opposite, that the town is the one to decide weather to allow me to get a waiver for my dog or not. It can be different rules varying from town to town in NJ according to my vets office. I am afraid to go to the town and ask if I can get a waiver because then I will be on their radar & they will know I have a dog and wonder why he isn't licensed yet & force me to revaccinate for rabies regularly. I live in a very small town & to find out anything I would have to go there and ask. Baby has had bad reactions to other vaccines before and I would rather not give him the rabies vaccine so often.

Experts believe rabies vaccines can last as long as 7 years or so as antibodies in a dogs body, and he probably will be immune much longer than the required intervals for rabies revaccination. I know there were scientific studies going on regarding how long vaccines are effective, I'm not sure if they have proven yet how long the vaccine really lasts. The odds of Baby coming in contact with a wild animal are slim to none. He is always on a leash when we walk on the sidewalk, & he exercises in our fenced in yard where it is highly unlikely there will be a wild animal in our yard or here on our sidewalks in the suburbs. When we go to wooded areas which isn't too often anymore these days, Baby is always carried in our arms or riding in a dog stroller, or bike trailer. He is always protected by us & not anywhere where it is likely he could be bitten by a rabid animal. He is only placed on the ground briefly to go potty & then picked right back up in wooded areas. Baby is about as likely to become infected with rabies as I am :blink:. Sorry I rambled on --oops!:blink:

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
We live in Windham NH and have to register annually $7/year. The vets have to notify the towns of rabies vaccines for each dog. We didn't know we had to register, we got a letter from the town telling us that they were notified by the vet and we had 20 days to get her registered. UGH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
We live in Windham NH and have to register annually $7/year. The vets have to notify the towns of rabies vaccines for each dog. We didn't know we had to register, we got a letter from the town telling us that they were notified by the vet and we had 20 days to get her registered. UGH

That is cheap! I would be happy to pay it!
We pay 72 euros for the first dog & 105 euros for the 2nd & also if you have more you pay 105 each---this is an annual fee! We get nothing in return, except there are plastic bags & trash bins all over the city for dogs. Anyone can use them---whether they pay the tax or not & I think a lot of people do not pay. To me it is good to keep the laws of a country as much as possible, although I do make an occasional exception, but we won't discuss that here.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
To license or not to license, THAT is the question!

I'm not normally a law breaker either and like to obey laws of the land as much as possible, but when it could threaten the very life & well being of my little boy my feelings tend change about obeying the law :police:....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can see how rabies vaccinations can help if dogs are outside for an extended period of time. However, our Maltese aren't exactly outside dogs. Mine spends less than 20~30 minutes outside.
Yearly and even 3 years is overly excessive to vaccinate.
Every place I've lived, small town to big city, has required licensing and current rabies vaccinations. Two of my dogs have had cancer, and their vets are prepared to write up a document stating they should have medical waiver of further vaccinations, but this reminds me that I haven't dealt with that yet. Unfortunately as far as animal control is concerned, a waiver means you are not supposed to take your dog off your premises!

All my dogs have been microchipped, and I think it is a good idea. So far I have not needed to track them down, but there's one or two that I think could be runners if I got distracted. :) Knowing their personalities and the appearance of two oldies, I don't think anyone who might find them would want to keep them, but if I had sweet gorgeous young doggies, I would be more worried! :)
I wish I had an option of a wavier. Los Angeles county officials are one of the most incompetent and heartless people ever!
Glad to know I'm not alone with these type of concerns about to license or not to license! I've been very torn myself with trying to decide weather or not to license my boy. I'm concerned about being 'forced' to get so many rabies vaccines. In the past I've always had Baby vaccinated every single time the vet said it was due and time to do so, and Baby currently has a valid rabies vaccination. But for the future I'm looking into getting a rabies titer next time instead of the vaccine when he is due again in 2019. Hemopet.org in California offers a rabies titer I can buy and my vet agreed to order it if I want it when the time comes.

The 'problem' is that I have to find out if my particular town will give me a waiver or not. I am confused because I had originally thought that the vet would be the one to issue the waiver & that I would bring that waiver to the town. But my vets office told me it is the opposite, that the town is the one to decide weather to allow me to get a waiver for my dog or not. It can be different rules varying from town to town in NJ according to my vets office. I am afraid to go to the town and ask if I can get a waiver because then I will be on their radar & they will know I have a dog and wonder why he isn't licensed yet & force me to revaccinate for rabies regularly. I live in a very small town & to find out anything I would have to go there and ask. Baby has had bad reactions to other vaccines before and I would rather not give him the rabies vaccine so often.

Experts believe rabies vaccines can last as long as 7 years or so as antibodies in a dogs body, and he probably will be immune much longer than the required intervals for rabies revaccination. I know there were scientific studies going on regarding how long vaccines are effective, I'm not sure if they have proven yet how long the vaccine really lasts. The odds of Baby coming in contact with a wild animal are slim to none. He is always on a leash when we walk on the sidewalk, & he exercises in our fenced in yard where it is highly unlikely there will be a wild animal in our yard or here on our sidewalks in the suburbs. When we go to wooded areas which isn't too often anymore these days, Baby is always carried in our arms or riding in a dog stroller, or bike trailer. He is always protected by us & not anywhere where it is likely he could be bitten by a rabid animal. He is only placed on the ground briefly to go potty & then picked right back up in wooded areas. Baby is about as likely to become infected with rabies as I am :blink:. Sorry I rambled on --oops!:blink:
Wow! $7??? For me, it'll be $20.

I wish there were trash bins and plastic bags where I live. In my area, most sidewalks are loaded with minefields of other dog's poop. :angry:
That is cheap! I would be happy to pay it!
We pay 72 euros for the first dog & 105 euros for the 2nd & also if you have more you pay 105 each---this is an annual fee! We get nothing in return, except there are plastic bags & trash bins all over the city for dogs. Anyone can use them---whether they pay the tax or not & I think a lot of people do not pay. To me it is good to keep the laws of a country as much as possible, although I do make an occasional exception, but we won't discuss that here.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
In NYC we have to have his license renewed every year. They give you a metal disc and would send you a sticker for each year after you paid. Then they got all lazy and now send you a letter and say you're supposed to carry it. Yeah, sure, when I'm walking Tyler. Uh, no. But it does check if you've neutered or spayed and rabies. I get the rabies vaccine for tyler everything 3 years. I titer for all other vaccines and he's never had any adverse reaction.
All I can say about rabies is that my husband was bitten on his leg while running several years ago by a crazed dog that was off leach and lunged at him in the blink of an eye. We were very happy to find out he had a rabies shot. He ended up with a big gash, tetenus shot, big doctor bill and ******* owner who said he'd pay and then when it came to it wouldn't.

And my best friend two weeks ago was at a little dinner get together at a friends where there were some dogs and as she reached to get some food the dog suddenly lunged at her hand and bit her. Out of the blue. Well within two days her hand swelled up to three times it's size and she went to a walk in clinic and they said it was so badly infected they said if the antibiotics didn't work she would have to go to the hospital for IV.They said they had to report the dog bite to the city. If the city follows up and finds the dog wasn't vaccinated they could take it from the owner and quarantine. I wouldn't want my dog put at risk of being taken from me because I was pissed at the city...which I often am so I just get it done. I'm one of those what ifs kind of people. :)

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
Just a word of caution about rabies---Beatriz had an issue where a little girl claimed Bea's dog bit her (it was a lie) & it caused huge issues for Bea---it happened (supposedly) inside so one is not safe if it is only an inside dog. Proof of vaccine is crucial in such cases of innocence as well.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Just a word of caution about rabies---Beatriz had an issue where a little girl claimed Bea's dog bit her (it was a lie) & it caused huge issues for Bea---it happened (supposedly) inside so one is not safe if it is only an inside dog. Proof of vaccine is crucial in such cases of innocence as well.
Sandi, I worry too about the sort of situation you described. How terrible for Beatriz! Baby's rabies vaccination runs out in 2019 when he is due for another 3 year vaccine. When the next vaccine comes due I am going to have to go to the town & ask for a waiver for rabies & will hope & pray they give me one, so I can get the rabies titer from Hemopet. I am relieved that my Vet agreed to get it from there if I want it, I was pretty much expecting him to say 'no' and I'm so glad he didn't say that. Now all I have to do is get the waiver... but at least I don't have to deal with that until two years from now.

:confused:I wasn't around SM at that time, if you don't mind me asking , how did that situation turn out for Beatriz? Did she get to keep her dog? I really, really hope so!!

As far as the 'waiver' goes, I am concerned about the 'not being able to leave your own property' with a titer & waiver, if that is the law in NJ we will have no choice but to vaccinate and that's because we bring Baby EVERYWHERE and he would be miserable if he wasn't included in everything we do, and we would be very miserable without him along! At least in NJ the 3 year vaccine is allowed. In some states it is required every year, I think NC & FL might be like that but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
:ThankYou:Thank You Susan, I will read the thread! Baby loves meeting kids, adults everyone but other dogs. He enjoys it so much and I often let him do it, he is not a biter except when he's playing {my husband lets him play bite his hands which isn't good because it teaches Baby that it's OK to nibble hands...}and might nip if someone accidentally pulls his hair, or pinches him & he thinks they might have been trying purposefully to hurt him. In that case he might nip a little bit but he is not serious, it just means 'stop that' in dog language.

An incident such as that could lead to problems though, so as much as Baby loves meeting people including kids, I would be better off to nicely tell people flat out 'no' when they ask to pet him. Leaving the lid down on Baby's stroller when we are out helps with that, it deters some people. It breaks Baby's heart though when people walk past him without acknowledging him, and I don't like to see him sad. But I guess it's better than having someone start any trouble for us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts