1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iowa Woman Finds Dead Turtle in Coffee

The Associated Press
Thursday, November 10, 2005; 9:54 PM

AINSWORTH, Iowa -- Marjorie Morris just wanted to pour coffee into a canister. What she found in the package of freeze-dried coffee left her shell-shocked.

Morris, 77, of Ainsworth, found a dead baby turtle in the 2-pound package of Folgers coffee last Sunday.

"I thought it was a toy at first," said Morris, 77, of Ainsworth.

Morris said she had been making coffee from the same package for a month before she made the discovery.

"It's a responsibility of the company to check their shipments closer," she said. "It could be much more serious."

Morris said she doesn't plan to file a lawsuit against Folgers.

She said a customer service representative for the company dismissed the find, explaining that because many Folgers plants are based in New Orleans the turtle might have ended up in the coffee as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Sussane Dussing, a spokeswoman for Procter & Gamble, the company that owns the Folgers brand, said it's too early to say how the turtle ended up in the coffee.

Dussing said she wasn't aware of other similar incidents and that Morris' discovery would be investigated.

Morris, who has kept the turtle, said she would continue to drink coffee, but that she is now a more mindful consumer.

Things could have been worse, she said.

"It could've been a snake."

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Kudos to the lady for not getting sue-happy.
If people only knew what was in their food, the food industry would be out of business. I saw on a news show once that factories are alotted so many "rodent hairs/droppings or bugs and the like" and such in their product...makes ya not wanna eat canned anything eh?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Triste@Nov 12 2005, 07:04 AM
  If people only  knew what was in their food, the food industry would be out of business. I saw on a news show once that factories are alotted so many "rodent hairs/droppings or bugs and the like" and such in their product...makes ya not wanna eat canned anything eh? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119094
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have heard that too...grosses me out, so I try not to think about it.
I remember my parents telling me that many years ago, someone found body parts of a mouse or rat in their coca cola or something...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Triste@Nov 12 2005, 08:04 AM
[/QUOTE]

yeah, but look at who the "discoverer" is.... a mature & HONEST citizen, not out to rip off a big company with insurance - someone not looking for a "get rich quick scheme".

I am sorry that this happened, but I feel that this lady deserves a big pat on the back.

Maybe Folgers Co. will send her a big canister of coffee for free!!!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by Triste@Nov 12 2005, 08:04 AM
  If people only  knew what was in their food, the food industry would be out of business. I saw on a news show once that factories are alotted so many "rodent hairs/droppings or bugs and the like" and such in their product...makes ya not wanna eat canned anything eh? 

[/QUOTE]

That's really strange....my husband works in the food industry (dairy to be exact), and there is "Zero percent extraneous" which means there is nothing but the dairy in the dairy products, if anything is found (even a hair!) it is not to be sold for consumption. The USDA inspects very carefully, and if they find something wrong, there's heck to pay. There's always a USDA rep onsite doing random checks (making sure it's sanitary). The company does not allow "street clothes" in the production room, or anywhere that you can make contact with the product and the workers are fully covered in jump suits and hair/face guards that never leave the plant. From what I’m told, the USDA has very strict guidelines and if they aren’t followed the product can not be sold for consumption.
I don't know about other places, like Coca Cola etc, but I feel there should only be food in your food....lol

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sure glad that I don't drink coffee
Hey Scott remember that Santa has a large sack of coal for people who aren't good. Maybe whoever let that get into the coffee will get coal for Christmas :D

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie+Nov 12 2005, 08:59 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Triste
@Nov 12 2005, 08:04 AM

That's really strange....my husband works in the food industry (dairy to be exact), and there is "Zero percent extraneous" which means there is nothing but the dairy in the dairy products, if anything is found (even a hair!) it is not to be sold for consumption. The USDA inspects very carefully, and if they find something wrong, there's heck to pay. There's always a USDA rep onsite doing random checks (making sure it's sanitary). The company does not allow "street clothes" in the production room, or anywhere that you can make contact with the product and the workers are fully covered in jump suits and hair/face guards that never leave the plant. From what I’m told, the USDA has very strict guidelines and if they aren’t followed the product can not be sold for consumption.
I don't know about other places, like Coca Cola etc, but I feel there should only be food in your food....lol
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119102
[/B][/QUOTE]

I too send kudos to that lady for not suing, these things can happen but they are rare when you consider that vast amount of product produced and the number of contaminants found.

I remember years ago my mum found a second hand chewing gum in the bottom of a milk container. She promptly called the Dairy Company to report the matter but didn't think of suing either. The company came to her home and apologized personally and also gave her a free replacement of the milk and also free milk for a month. That was very disturbing for mum too because she had used the milk and didn't find the gum till she got to the bottom of the carton. Yukkkkkkky

I just want say I that actually worked for a Cookie Factory currently owned by Campbells Soups but located in Australia. Although I worked in the reception area I was also aware of the work policy for food handling.
I can honestly say there is zero tollerance for any foreign object, be it hair or anything. The factory is fogged weekly for rodents etc on a day that there are no workers present. All staff working in direct contact with the mixing, processing and packaging of the product are supplied with clean white clothing daily and hair and beard nets. Anyone who touches the product must wear clean white cotton gloves which are replaced every time they leave their work post. All staff are supplied with shoes that are not permitted to be worn outside the food processing area.
Having said all of that, I just want to add that even with all the stringent hygene practices in place there are still the occasional complaints from the general public regarding hair and other little nasties that manage to get into the product.
I am also happy to say that chewing gum was prohibited in the food processing area and if anyone was caught they were put on warning and if caught a second time they were given instant dismissal.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
While we are talking of finding yuck in our food...
When I was in high school there was a news story of a lady who ordered a shake with her lunch from a burger chain in the city. She got it to go and was drinking it at work...when something got caught in her straw. She took the lid off and dug around and came up with pieces of plastic or rubbery stuff. She immediately took it to the health department (which happened to be next door) and they took it and tested it...
come to find out, it was a condom!!!!
I don't know how they tested it, but said it also seemed to be used as far as they could tell...

My mom had a friend at the time who worked for the health department and said it was a true story.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Nov 12 2005, 04:48 PM
While we are talking of finding yuck in our food...
When I was in high school there was a news story of a lady who ordered a shake with her lunch from a burger chain in the city. She got it to go and was drinking it at work...when something got caught in her straw. She took the lid off and dug around and came up with pieces of plastic or rubbery stuff. She immediately took it to the health department (which happened to be next door) and they took it and tested it...
come to find out, it was a condom!!!!
I don't know how they tested it, but said it also seemed to be used as far as they could tell...

My mom had a friend at the time who worked for the health department and said it was a true story.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119163
[/QUOTE]

:new_Eyecrazy:
OMG that is dreadful, but I have heard of people working in those places doing things like that, they are just sickosssssssss and it sure puts me off fast food, not that I am a regular at the chain food joints, but now I am even more wary.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Scrappy@Nov 12 2005, 07:39 PM
I once shared a chocolate bar with my DH.  I snapped it in half and handed his bit to him and just as I popped a square into my mouth he said "Did they charge you any extra for the mold" 
  The bottom of the chocolate was covered in mold.

It is a worldwide brand name and when I rang the company all they were concerned about was compensating me 
  I was trying to say I didn't want compensation I just wanted to let them know about the chocolate and did they want me to send it to them for inspection.  The company rep said no they didn't want the chocolate back and insisted on getting my name and address which I eventually gave and a few weeks later a cheque for $10 arrived:angry:  That was about eleven years ago and the cheque remains uncashed.  I have never been able to buy that brand of chocolate again or any of their other foods for that matter.   

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119170
[/QUOTE]

MOLD.....nothing more than home made Pennicillan (sp).

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by scottchelf+Nov 12 2005, 10:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Scrappy
@Nov 12 2005, 07:39 PM
I once shared a chocolate bar with my DH.  I snapped it in half and handed his bit to him and just as I popped a square into my mouth he said "Did they charge you any extra for the mold" 

It is a worldwide brand name and when I rang the company all they were concerned about was compensating me 
  I was trying to say I didn't want compensation I just wanted to let them know about the chocolate and did they want me to send it to them for inspection.  The company rep said no they didn't want the chocolate back and insisted on getting my name and address which I eventually gave and a few weeks later a cheque for $10 arrived:angry:  That was about eleven years ago and the cheque remains uncashed.  I have never been able to buy that brand of chocolate again or any of their other foods for that matter.   

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119196
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have a question for ya Scrappy, was that green mold or white mold. My reason for asking is it is very common for chocolate to have white mold which is commonly known as "Bloom" in the chocolate industry. What happens is if the chocolate isn't tempered properly during process the fats in the chocolate go to the surface, like separating. It is unusual to have green mold but I am sure it can happen. The "Bloom" is quite harmless even though it may not look very appetizing it won't do you any harm.
Often people will throw away chocolate because it looks white and unsightly but all that is happening is the chocolate has been kept in uneven temperatures, like hot then cold which causes the white "Bloom". Chocolate should never be stored in the refrigerator but at room temperature, preferably in a cooler room of the home.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Scrappy+Nov 12 2005, 10:09 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2005, 10:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Scrappy
@Nov 12 2005, 07:39 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119196

I have a question for ya Scrappy, was that green mold or white mold. My reason for asking is it is very common for chocolate to have white mold which is commonly known as "Bloom" in the chocolate industry. What happens is if the chocolate isn't tempered properly during process the fats in the chocolate go to the surface, like separating. It is unusual to have green mold but I am sure it can happen. The "Bloom" is quite harmless even though it may not look very appetizing it won't do you any harm.
Often people will throw away chocolate because it looks white and unsightly but all that is happening is the chocolate has been kept in uneven temperatures, like hot then cold which causes the white "Bloom". Chocolate should never be stored in the refrigerator but at room temperature, preferably in a cooler room of the home.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119200
Oh, no! this was the yucky kind
I had bought it that same day with my groceries as a treat with coffee for that evening.
it was a honeycomb chocolate bar and the company rep said that the chocolate coating hadn't taken or there may have been mold in the pan used
it was only on the base. I have seen choc that's gone white in spots that doesn't worry me but this was the furry black kind
I mean it didn't hurt me. I have lived to tell the tale

Oh, I must add it was white chocolate so the furry mold was easy to see.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119208
[/B][/QUOTE]

OMG that must have made you feel sick though if you ate it. I would have let the company have it back and I would have cashed the cheque too, I would have gone and bought $10 worth of opposition chokkies and that would have made me feel much better...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts