Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago my sil gave me a Christmas gift, the gift was a quart jar and a small book, honestly I thought, what the heck am I going to do with a quart jar:blink:, she told me to read the book as soon as I was able and then I would understand what the jar was for. The very next day I read the little book and cryed through most of it, then I had my hubby read the book he also cryed through most of it. Now I will share with you what we did the following Christmas with that quart jar.

the quart jar had a label on it, the label said Christmas jar, for the next months we took all our change and put it in this jar, it took sometime for us to fill the jar, when it was full we sat it aside and started another jar. When Christmas came we kept our ears and eyes opened and prayed God would show us who we were to give the jar to, we felt like God wanted us to give the jar to a Mexican worker at the RV park, so we waited until he was away from his old truck and hubby sat the jar on the floor next to the drivers side. I can just imagine how excited and blessed he must have been when he opened his truck door, this worker had a family and I'm sure they were not having much for Christmas, the worker never found out who gave him the jar, it's our little secret. We were so blessed that year, and have done this for a few years, we now have a quart jar and have began filling it for next Christmas, I just thought maybe some of you would like to do this for next Christmas.
The name of the little book is called "A Christmas Jar", make sure you have some kleenex when you read it. It's a true story, it will bless you soooo much, make sure you keep your eyes and ears open, there are so many who need to feel loved and cared about, Christmas is just one of those special times to share with those who are less fortunate.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Paula -- this is such a beautiful and touching story. Thanks so much for sharing. It really puts everything into perspective, doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lynn get the book, the story will surprise you and also make you cry. Have a safe trip to Phoenix, make sure you take a jacket it's cold 63 and raining here in Yuma today

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Paula -- I will get the book. Jerry said that it was raining in Phoenix today and maybe tomorrow. It's raining in NM today too and may snow a little tonight or in the morning.

The girls are ready to visit their Dad and so am I.

Hope that you have a wonderful holiday. Hugs.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Thank you Paula for sharing this story, it's the true meaning of Christmas. I'm going to order the book and get a quart jar i already have a mug full of change that i will transfer to the jar and keep my ears and eyes open next Christmas. You are such a blessing and an inspiration to us all.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Paula - how touching and perfect. Which book is it? I looked on line and think there were some books written about it but not the original book. I love it and would like to start the tradition.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Paula that's a beautiful Christmas story! I'll have to try to find that book. Bless you giving heart!! I'm sure that man cried when he found your Christmas jar.
A friend and I have exchanged gifts for years. A couple of years ago we decided that instead of buying for each other we would take the money we would have spent and do something for someone else. The past couple of years we've made fruit basket for an apartment building for the elderly. We heard that a man that lives there had nothing and that he had been doing odd jobs to make ends meet. He wrecked his car a couple of months ago and now he can't do the odd jobs. We decided that instead of fruit we would put money in an envelope and put it under his door. We did just that last Saturday. I don't know when I've felt that good about anything! My brother called to let me know he would be here for Christmas this year. I told him what we did and he said he wanted to do something for the man too and he also wanted to do the fruit basket. He ask me to help him so I get to feel that good again! Its an amazing feeling when you do something to help someone and even better when they don't know who did it. This is making my Christmas merry. Anyone who can't seem to get the Christmas spirit just needs to give to someone less fortunate and they'll have more Christmas spirit than they can handle.
Merry Christmas sweet Paula!! :wub:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
A few years ago my sil gave me a Christmas gift, the gift was a quart jar and a small book, honestly I thought, what the heck am I going to do with a quart jar:blink:, she told me to read the book as soon as I was able and then I would understand what the jar was for. The very next day I read the little book and cryed through most of it, then I had my hubby read the book he also cryed through most of it. Now I will share with you what we did the following Christmas with that quart jar.

the quart jar had a label on it, the label said Christmas jar, for the next months we took all our change and put it in this jar, it took sometime for us to fill the jar, when it was full we sat it aside and started another jar. When Christmas came we kept our ears and eyes opened and prayed God would show us who we were to give the jar to, we felt like God wanted us to give the jar to a Mexican worker at the RV park, so we waited until he was away from his old truck and hubby sat the jar on the floor next to the drivers side. I can just imagine how excited and blessed he must have been when he opened his truck door, this worker had a family and I'm sure they were not having much for Christmas, the worker never found out who gave him the jar, it's our little secret. We were so blessed that year, and have done this for a few years, we now have a quart jar and have began filling it for next Christmas, I just thought maybe some of you would like to do this for next Christmas.
The name of the little book is called "A Christmas Jar", make sure you have some kleenex when you read it. It's a true story, it will bless you soooo much, make sure you keep your eyes and ears open, there are so many who need to feel loved and cared about, Christmas is just one of those special times to share with those who are less fortunate.
Paula, I haven't even read the book and already the tears are in my eyes. Thank you for sharing this story. I just ordered the book and am about to start a yearly tradition. May you and yours have a joyous Christmas and be blessed with a New Year filled with peace and happiness.

Paula - how touching and perfect. Which book is it? I looked on line and think there were some books written about it but not the original book. I love it and would like to start the tradition.
Sue, I just found it on the Barnes & Noble website ...Christmas Jars, Jason Wright, (9781590384817) Paperback - Barnes & Noble

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Paula, I haven't even read the book and already the tears are in my eyes. Thank you for sharing this story. I just ordered the book and am about to start a yearly tradition. May you and yours have a joyous Christmas and be blessed with a New Year filled with peace and happiness.

Sue, I just found it on the Barnes & Noble website ...Christmas Jars, Jason Wright, (9781590384817) Paperback - Barnes & Noble
Mary - from reading the synopsis it looked like that was a book writing about what happened from many people doing this but not the original story. Just wondering if there was the first book that started it.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts

Mary - from reading the synopsis it looked like that was a book writing about what happened from many people doing this but not the original story. Just wondering if there was the first book that started it.

That's the only one i could find also, but found it on Amazon. I'm hoping that this is the right book. Amazon.com: Christmas Jars (9781590384817): Jason F. Wright: Books

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Beautiful

Paula:

What a beautiful story and gesture! the joy of giving is grand and the joy of helping others is amazing. Being able to give and to love is a WONDERFUL feeling! :aktion033:

Have a blessed Christmas and a safe trip!

God bless :innocent:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Paula:

What a beautiful story and gesture! the joy of giving is grand and the joy of helping others is amazing. Being able to give and to love is a WONDERFUL feeling! :aktion033:

Have a blessed Christmas and a safe trip!

God bless :innocent:
I couldn't have said it better myself!!! :goodpost:

Paula, thank you so much for sharing this. When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it must be a Christmas decoration or something. Boy, I was very pleasantly surprised. I am going to get the book as well and start my Christmas jar. I am always looking for ways to teach my 4 children the true meaning of helping others, especially during the Christmas season. Last year, they all contributed their own money and we went out and bought some blankets and toys for a local animal shelter. We are doing the same thing this year. I think I will share this book with them as well and they can also start their own Christmas jar.

Have a wonderful holiday, Paula!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Wow..what an amazing idea..I'd like to do that too!

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Paula, your story is so heartwarming. Thank you. :tender:

I looked for the book ... *A Christmas Jar* ... but, I can't find the book with that specific name. What is the author's name? I would love to read it and give a copy to my granddaughter and also to some friends.

I think there is nothing like giving a gift/gifts to those who don't know who gave them the gift. For the receiver of the gift ... they know that somebody out there cares enough to, hopefully, bring some sunshine into their day. And, most importantly ... know that someone out there is sending them love. And, for the gift giver, their gift, in return ... is the joy and fun of knowing that they helped make someone else feel special.

This year, Felix and I have decided not to exchange Christmas gifts. I know that's the best gift for Felix ... because he doesn't have to worry about what I would like. He goes out of his way to do that. And, for me ... the same thing. I am easy to buy for ... but, Felix is one of those guys who always says ... "I don't need anything. I have everything I want" So, instead, we will donate to several charities. And, of course, Santa will bring Snowball a few gifts.

And, Paula ... I think we'll have to get some big glass jars, too! I love that idea. I can imagine the recipient of your gift walking around your RV park ... wondering who was so sweet and generous to surprise him with the jars of money. He might not know who gave him the gift ... but, he probaby now has the gift of looking at many folks in your RV park and thinking ... "Well, she/he/they look like nice people ... Maybe it was them."

Paula, I wish for you and your family the most wonderful Christmas. Love and Hugs; :wub::heart::smootch:

Marie

·
Registered
149 Posts
Paula, you are so sweet! :) :) :)

I have been blessed this holiday already.... we helped one family that is in our class at church ....

So yesterday I was doing my Bible study, and I had one of those moments where you know God is about to hit you over the head with something :innocent: and all of a sudden I thought of ______, who we see in our shop every week. He is really really struggling, and is dad to a 13 yr old girl. He's a great dad! Just no money. It was as if God was saying you see this person every week and you never, ever thought of helping him. So I ran out and bought the daughter a bunch of gifts, had a great time as my girls are grown/gone. Told hubby to call the guy and get him to come by today. Spent last night wrapping everything.

Today before he came, my husband said didn't you say we should give him some money? How much? I said I think you might kill me.....he says no I just wanna see if our numbers match. We were both thinking $100~! So I put that amount in a card and gave it to him with the gifts. He was embarrassed to take it all but he confessed that without this, he would have no Xmas....he'd already explained to his daughter there just wouldn't be much this year. :wub: God is good!

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts

I have been blessed this holiday already.... we helped one family that is in our class at church ....

So yesterday I was doing my Bible study, and I had one of those moments where you know God is about to hit you over the head with something :innocent: and all of a sudden I thought of ______, who we see in our shop every week. He is really really struggling, and is dad to a 13 yr old girl. He's a great dad! Just no money. It was as if God was saying you see this person every week and you never, ever thought of helping him. So I ran out and bought the daughter a bunch of gifts, had a great time as my girls are grown/gone. Told hubby to call the guy and get him to come by today. Spent last night wrapping everything.

Today before he came, my husband said didn't you say we should give him some money? How much? I said I think you might kill me.....he says no I just wanna see if our numbers match. We were both thinking $100~! So I put that amount in a card and gave it to him with the gifts. He was embarrassed to take it all but he confessed that without this, he would have no Xmas....he'd already explained to his daughter there just wouldn't be much this year. :wub: God is good!
Bless your hearts, Tanya! Another heartwarming story.

Merry Christmas to you and your husband.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paula that's a beautiful Christmas story! I'll have to try to find that book. Bless you giving heart!! I'm sure that man cried when he found your Christmas jar.
A friend and I have exchanged gifts for years. A couple of years ago we decided that instead of buying for each other we would take the money we would have spent and do something for someone else. The past couple of years we've made fruit basket for an apartment building for the elderly. We heard that a man that lives there had nothing and that he had been doing odd jobs to make ends meet. He wrecked his car a couple of months ago and now he can't do the odd jobs. We decided that instead of fruit we would put money in an envelope and put it under his door. We did just that last Saturday. I don't know when I've felt that good about anything! My brother called to let me know he would be here for Christmas this year. I told him what we did and he said he wanted to do something for the man too and he also wanted to do the fruit basket. He ask me to help him so I get to feel that good again! Its an amazing feeling when you do something to help someone and even better when they don't know who did it. This is making my Christmas merry. Anyone who can't seem to get the Christmas spirit just needs to give to someone less fortunate and they'll have more Christmas spirit than they can handle.
Merry Christmas sweet Paula!! :wub:
Jane I love what you did for that man, I just know he feels love, we never know how it touched his heart. No wonder I love you, you have a heart of gold, your story brought tears to my eyes, Merry Christmas my friend

I couldn't have said it better myself!!! :goodpost:

Paula, thank you so much for sharing this. When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it must be a Christmas decoration or something. Boy, I was very pleasantly surprised. I am going to get the book as well and start my Christmas jar. I am always looking for ways to teach my 4 children the true meaning of helping others, especially during the Christmas season. Last year, they all contributed their own money and we went out and bought some blankets and toys for a local animal shelter. We are doing the same thing this year. I think I will share this book with them as well and they can also start their own Christmas jar.

Have a wonderful holiday, Paula!

Lori your kids are going to love the story, wait until you read it, you'll get goosebumps, and see how God works in hearts that give, get ready your kids are going to want to do this every Christmas. Your story about teaching your kids the real meaning of Christmas made my heart so thankful there are mom's like you out there, Merry Christmas

Paula, your story is so heartwarming. Thank you. :tender:

I looked for the book ... *A Christmas Jar* ... but, I can't find the book with that specific name. What is the author's name? I would love to read it and give a copy to my granddaughter and also to some friends.

I think there is nothing like giving a gift/gifts to those who don't know who gave them the gift. For the receiver of the gift ... they know that somebody out there cares enough to, hopefully, bring some sunshine into their day. And, most importantly ... know that someone out there is sending them love. And, for the gift giver, their gift, in return ... is the joy and fun of knowing that they helped make someone else feel special.

This year, Felix and I have decided not to exchange Christmas gifts. I know that's the best gift for Felix ... because he doesn't have to worry about what I would like. He goes out of his way to do that. And, for me ... the same thing. I am easy to buy for ... but, Felix is one of those guys who always says ... "I don't need anything. I have everything I want" So, instead, we will donate to several charities. And, of course, Santa will bring Snowball a few gifts.

And, Paula ... I think we'll have to get some big glass jars, too! I love that idea. I can imagine the recipient of your gift walking around your RV park ... wondering who was so sweet and generous to surprise him with the jars of money. He might not know who gave him the gift ... but, he probaby now has the gift of looking at many folks in your RV park and thinking ... "Well, she/he/they look like nice people ... Maybe it was them."

Paula, I wish for you and your family the most wonderful Christmas. Love and Hugs; :wub::heart::smootch:

Marie
Marie you know how much I love you, it's your pure heart and love for others that makes you such a wonderful woman. So many have been touched by you and feel your love. I love what you and Felix are doing. your granddaughter will be just like her grandma, she will always remember all the things you have taught her.
You are so right the worker thought my friend gave it to him lol, she couldn't figure out why he was doing extra's for her. I love it Merry Christmas

It was God talking to you for sure, Just think what a wonderful Christmas you just gave to a dad and his daughter, I bet they always remember Christmas 2010, you blessed me by your story. Merry Christmas

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my book is at home, so I called my sil, she had the book right next to her on her coffee table.
Jason F Wright is the author
the book is published by Shadow Mountain

My sil orderd her books from Deseret Book.Com
the book is $7.95, he has wrote a couple others but "The Christmas Jar" is the one I read, you might want to get a few, you will want to give them to friends.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts