Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time remembering what its called now but does anyone elses Malt have the "cough", i think some call it a "honking" noise, Sampson has always had it but Maggie hasnt ever did it, our vet said its common among Maltese and smaller dogs and nothing to worry about

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are talking about collapsing trachea or reverse sneezing. The reverse sneezing is a honking, hacking or snorting sound is is suppose to be pretty harmless and often happens following them getting excited, pulling on a leash, running, after eating or drinking. I thinkit's like a spasm in the pharynx (sp?) anyway you can gently rub the throat or take them out for fresh air. Bentley does this and he stops with no assistance from me, it's pretty common in maltese. The Collapsing trachea is more like a chronic coughand may sound like a goose honk. It can be treated medically or surgically.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Luvmypupster@Aug 31 2003, 03:41 PM
The reverse sneezing is a honking, hacking or snorting sound is is suppose to be pretty harmless and often happens following them getting excited, pulling on a leash, running, after eating or drinking.
yea, thats what i was trying to say

·
Registered
346 Posts
I only deal with Morgan making weird noises when we go for walks..he gets excited and chokes himself lol
I solved the problem by putting him in a harness that he wears in the car so his leash connects to the back of it instead of his collar. So no more choking sounds.
Now I deal with him being so excited he goes so fast he is hopping down the street on his hind legs, front legs never touching the ground lol (He eventually does slow down a bit) Oh well, whatcha gonna do? lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
From what I am reading, I believe that the noises I am hearing from my little pup is reverse sneezing. He makes these noises more often lately. Plus he makes this little whimpering noise as well. Very faint whimpering when I pick him up or sometimes just touch him. Also in conjunction with this reverse sneezing he does this thing I can only describe as him trying to cough up a hair ball & his tummy goes in and out when he does this. This seems more evident at night. All these noises are a bit alarming, but I am reassured by what I have been reading that it's not harmful.

SO! My question I guess would be as far as reverse sneezing goes, does anyone know the cause? And, does anyone else have a Maltese who whimpers and/or does that hair ball thing? I tried reading all posts on this, hopefully my questions are not redundant.

Thanks!
Nanny

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by The Nanny@Dec 2 2004, 05:02 PM
From what I am reading, I believe that the noises I am hearing from my little pup is reverse sneezing.  He makes these noises more often lately. Plus he makes this little whimpering noise as well.  Very faint whimpering when I pick him up or sometimes just touch him.    Also in conjunction with this reverse sneezing he does this thing I can only describe as him trying to cough up a hair ball & his tummy goes in and out when he does this. This seems more evident at night.  All these noises are a bit alarming, but I am reassured by what I have been reading that it's not harmful.

SO!  My question I guess would be as far as reverse sneezing goes, does anyone know the cause?  And, does anyone else have a Maltese who whimpers and/or does that hair ball thing?  I tried reading all posts on this, hopefully my questions are not redundant.

Thanks!
Nanny
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19936
[/QUOTE]

If it were me, I would check with the vet on the whimpering "thing". Just to be safe, I'd probably mention all this to him/her. I'm the "better safe than sorry" type personality!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, I will definitely ask the vet about all of that. He goes for shots in a few days. The whimpering didn't really concern me too much because I thought it may be something like how a baby coos. Then again, maybe not! I will ask my vet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 2 2004, 07:37 PM
Is he trying to vomit or really hacking? It sounds like more than a reverse sneeze to have so much action and happen like that. Woo just does it when he gets excited.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19969
[/QUOTE]

Hi JMM:
Well, he isn't trying to vomit. I guess I could compare it to a person trying to clear their throat. It appears to be just the movement of his stomach muscles while doing this that makes the tummy go in and out. The thing is that he does it at night laying around at rest before he goes in the crate for the night & in the mornings. Not as much during the day.....weird.

I went ahead and moved his appt. at the vet from Tuesday next week to tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing and the vet can tell me what it is.

Take care,
Sherri

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Luvmypupster@Aug 31 2003, 10:41 AM
The reverse sneezing is a honking

The Collapsing trachea sound like a goose honk. .
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=403
[/QUOTE]

ok ive always been wondering

what is the difference between a HONKING and a GOOSE HONKING??

isnt the same thing?

my lack of english always made me wonder the difference...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
hi! well...sprite does the reverse sneezing thing on command----and i used to give her attention(bad idea. lol). so what i do now is say "NO" in a stern voice and she stops. shes psycho. ellie coughs when she drinks water too fast.

OH, and if gruffi isnt getting attention---he'll do a "reverse sneeze". the headaches i have to deal with! lol.

and the whimpering when you pick her up---ellie did that. and she wasnt in pain. i dont know why they do that. she still flinches when we pet her.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Dec 3 2004, 09:33 AM
and the whimpering when you pick her up---ellie did that.  and she wasnt in pain.  i dont know why they do that.  she still flinches when we pet her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20043
[/QUOTE]

Maya does the same thing. She whimpers when I pick her up
and I know she is not hurting.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Dec 3 2004, 09:33 AM
and the whimpering when you pick her up---ellie did that.  and she wasnt in pain.  i dont know why they do that.  she still flinches when we pet her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20043
[/QUOTE]

I've read that the flinching when you go to pet them is a sign of submission.....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
its weird though. like if she sees me do it---she doesnt flinch. but from behind...she flinches. AND she's the one where if you correct her by saying "no, bad dog" she just stares at you like "are you talking to me....because i dont think so". i cant really explain it. its like shes trying to stare US down.

anyway, casey and i joke that ellie needs a little helmet(like she's a little retarded) because sometimes we'll throw the ball....and she runs the other way. lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
I took Mugsy to get shots today and asked him about the noises while I was there. He checked his lungs, heart, throat area and found all was fine. He said it sounded to him like post nasal syndrome. That he has drainage & he is just clearing his airways. He said it is common among small dogs and he is fine. As far as the whimpering thing, he heard him do it and said it is was him talking to me. Ok...whatever!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy does the reverse sneeze/honking/coughing thing whenever he drinks water too fast or when he is REALLY REALLY excited. I usually just try to calm him down and he usually stops immediately. But it freaked me out the first time he did it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, Mugsy's noises do seem to be more like a nasal drip type thing as the vet said it was today. What he does seems to be different than what I hear about the reverse sneezing. I'm just glad to hear that it is nothing to worry about.

I was looking at Tuffy's pictures...so cute. My Mugsy looks a lot like your Tuffy's baby pictures. I hope to get pictures to share soon!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts