Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about some others' thoughts on this book.

I read it while I was on vacation...and I am really not sure where my opinion lies. I am still working some things out in my mind about it.
I know it was a fiction book...but I was a little disturbed by parts of it as a Christian believer.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, I loved that book. I read it twice in one weekend and cried all the way through it. The story was just so beautifully written. I met the author when he spoke at a charity dinner. His speech was more related to his book "Tuesdays With Morrie", though.

I bought a lot of autographed copies of "Five People..." and gave them as Christmas gifts. All of the people I gave them to were Christian and some very religious ones. They all loved the book. In 2004, it was made it to a TV movie by Hallmark Entertainment.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen the movie...and I don't know that I could re-read the book again...
I am glad you enjoyed it!
I liked Tuesdays with Morrie better myself.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
It's funny you posted this... my mother is reading that book right now! She thinks its interesting but I dont know her complete opinion of it yet.... she is reading this book right now too.. its called "90 minutes in heaven" by Don Piper, Cecil Murphey. She said its a GREAT book and a true story. Its a very touching story. Take a look at this book

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 24 2005, 03:13 PM
Oh, I loved that book. I read it twice in one weekend and cried all the way through it. The story was just so beautifully written. I met the author when he spoke at a charity dinner. His speech was more related to his book "Tuesdays With Morrie", though.

I bought a lot of autographed copies of "Five People..." and gave them as Christmas gifts. All of the people I gave them to were Christian and some very religious ones. They all loved the book. In 2004, it was made it to a TV movie by Hallmark Entertainment.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84081
[/QUOTE]

Did the last person he meets not upset you JUST a little bit?

I have talked with a couple people who have said they were like me...ok with it up until the last person...and then I ALMOST put the book down...
I had to remind myself it was FICTION.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Jul 26 2005, 11:15 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jul 24 2005, 03:13 PM

I have talked with a couple people who have said they were like me...ok with it up until the last person...and then I ALMOST put the book down...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84618
[/B][/QUOTE]

The last person...? Hmmm, I can't remember which one was last.
Can you refresh my memory on that.....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jul 26 2005, 12:44 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2005, 11:15 AM

[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84658
[/B][/QUOTE]

The last person was the young girl that he killed during the war....remember?
His captain and others had convinced him that there was really nobody there, that he had be having some sort of a "war hallucination"...so he had convinced himself that it was true...and then when he gets to heaven (where we are supposed to find peace) he realizes that the really DID kill her...that he wasn't seeing things in the fire....it bothered me...a LOT.....

Like I said before, I had to remind myself that this was a fiction book, and that the only account we have of heaven is in the Bible...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Jul 26 2005, 02:01 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 26 2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2005, 11:15 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84658
The last person was the young girl that he killed during the war....remember?
His captain and others had convinced him that there was really nobody there, that he had be having some sort of a "war hallucination"...so he had convinced himself that it was true...and then when he gets to heaven (where we are supposed to find peace) he realizes that the really DID kill her...that he wasn't seeing things in the fire....it bothered me...a LOT.....

Like I said before, I had to remind myself that this was a fiction book, and that the only account we have of heaven is in the Bible...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84669
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, that scene was definitely horrifying. But his trying to save her is what eventually caused his leg injury, which affected his whole life from then on. So it was not superfluous. At least that is the way I remember it. It has been over a year since I read it....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 26 2005, 01:27 PM
Yes, that scene was definitely horrifying. But his trying to save her is what eventually caused his leg injury, which affected his whole life from then on.  So it was not superfluous. At least that is the way I remember it. It has been over a year since I read it....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84678
[/QUOTE]

I understood how it all tied together...but there was just something about the whole thing that bothered me...it was almost like a purgatory spot he stopped in before he could get to heaven and find the peace and comfort that is supposed to await us. I didn't like the thought of that. I thought the book was well written, and had some great life lessons in it...just not sure that I agreed with Mr. Albom's take on our heavenly resting place.
Does that make sense?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Jul 26 2005, 03:40 PM-->
@Jul 26 2005, 01:27 PM
Yes, that scene was definitely horrifying. But his trying to save her is what eventually caused his leg injury, which affected his whole life from then on.  So it was not superfluous. At least that is the way I remember it. It has been over a year since I read it....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84678

I understood how it all tied together...but there was just something about the whole thing that bothered me...it was almost like a purgatory spot he stopped in before he could get to heaven and find the peace and comfort that is supposed to await us. I didn't like the thought of that. I thought the book was well written, and had some great life lessons in it...just not sure that I agreed with Mr. Albom's take on our heavenly resting place.
Does that make sense?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84703
[/B][/QUOTE]

Gosh, I tend to take things rather literally.... I don't do well with analyzing poetry, for example.... so I didn't read that in to it at all.

I probably need to go back and read it again to refresh myself on it...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It probably has a lot to do with what each individual believes about heaven and what will happen when we die. As Christians, we are not supposed to fear death because all worries, hurts, pain, troubles are supposed to end when we die...if one believes. It troubled me to see him, Eddie, have to endure and relive each of the circumstances that came with each of his five people. Most of what was put before him each time was out of his control...it wasn't as if he was having to answer for sins he had committed-these were things that happened just in the daily living of life...how one thing affects another....
I liked that he got to see another side of his father...helped him understand the man a little better...maybe he got some peace of some sort from that...and meeting Margauerite, his wife...was sweet...finding out that his captain was who shot him and why...those made more sense to me...
But the carnival man that died of heart attack b/c of Eddie's ball going in the road...and having to find out that he really DID kill that young girl in the fire during the war...THOSE bothered me...having to feel the pain, anguish, hurt...all over again...THAT bothered me....
It is just not what I intend to face when I meet my Father...
Can you tell this book is really pulling at me from all directions?

Again...reminding myself it is fiction.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jul 26 2005, 05:23 PM
It probably has a lot to do with what each individual believes about heaven and what will happen when we die.  As Christians, we are not supposed to fear death because all worries, hurts, pain, troubles are supposed to end when we die...if one believes.  It troubled me to see him, Eddie, have to endure and relive each of the circumstances that came with each of his five people.  Most of what was put before him each time was out of his control...it wasn't as if he was having to answer for sins he had committed-these were things that happened just in the daily living of life...how one thing affects another....
I liked that he got to see another side of his father...helped him understand the man a little better...maybe he got some peace of some sort from that...and meeting Margauerite, his wife...was sweet...finding out that his captain was who shot him and why...those made more sense to me...
But the carnival man that died of heart attack b/c of Eddie's ball going in the road...and having to find out that he really DID kill that young girl in the fire during the war...THOSE bothered me...having to feel the pain, anguish, hurt...all over again...THAT bothered me....
It is just not what I intend to face when I meet my Father...
Can you tell this book is really pulling at me from all directions?

Again...reminding myself it is fiction.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84736
[/QUOTE]

Wow it really did get to you, though....I am not at all a religious person, so I don't have that background to bring to the book. I didn't think he killed the girl... he tried to save her and then he had no choice but to retreat... I think that is the way it was.....?? It was thought provoking for you .... so that is good!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tlunn ~ I am reading a wonderful non fiction book titled ""heaven"" by Randy Alcorn it is bibical based and a long read about 500 pages but a excellent book ,it tells you all about heaven and what we will do there and see and all from the bible its excellent i found it on amazon .com if your intrested ~ Denise

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 26 2005, 05:56 PM
Wow it really did get to you, though....I am not at all a religious person, so I don't have that background to bring to the book. I didn't think he killed the girl... he tried to save her and then he had no choice but to retreat... I think that is the way it was.....??  It was thought provoking for you .... so that is good! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84762
[/QUOTE]

Well, in essense he did...because his crew of soldiers set fire to the place as they were escaping, thinking that only their captors had been there...they didn't know anyone else was left in the huts.

Originally posted by Denise&Chico@Jul 26 2005, 07:19 PM
Tlunn ~ I am reading a wonderful non fiction book titled ""heaven"" by Randy Alcorn it is bibical based and a long read  about 500 pages but a excellent book ,it tells you all about heaven and what we will do there and see and all from the bible its excellent i found it on amazon .com if your intrested  ~ Denise
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84800
[/QUOTE]

That sounds good...I am going to write it down and look for it soon...
When school starts, my pleasure reading time is greatly diminished...I do well to read my Bible Study lessons and get my school plans done...Summer is my time to relax/read...But I will add it to my list! Thanks!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Denise&Chico@Jul 27 2005, 08:19 AM
your welcome , i know summer is going by fast . When do you have your 1st day back to school ?here its not until sep 7 ~ Denise
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84893
[/QUOTE]

I would love September 7!
I go back Monday, Aug 1-the kids start Aug 8...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Jul 27 2005, 08:28 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Denise&Chico
@Jul 27 2005, 08:19 AM
your welcome , i know summer is going by fast . When do you have your 1st day back to school ?here its not until sep 7 ~ Denise
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84893

I would love September 7!
I go back Monday, Aug 1-the kids start Aug 8...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84896
[/B][/QUOTE]
WOW! You must get out early we dont get out until june 25th .

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I read it, and liked it. If that's how heaven is, I'll be the one with the weddings. I love weddings.

Being from around the Detroit area I get my fill of Mitch Album- honestly, he isn't the nicest person. I did this project at CMU and he was our "keynote" he came in like he was this huge celebrity and was sooooooooooooo demanding- I kind of lost respect for him.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Jul 27 2005, 10:09 AM
I read it, and liked it. If that's how heaven is, I'll be the one with the weddings. I love weddings.

Being from around the Detroit area I get my fill of Mitch Album- honestly, he isn't the nicest person. I did this project at CMU and he was our "keynote" he came in like he was this huge celebrity and was sooooooooooooo demanding- I kind of lost respect for him.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84905
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. He spoke at a breast cancer fundraiser here as I believe his wife had/has breast cancer. Afterward he did a book signing. I was the 2nd person in line and spoke with him and he just didn't seem like a warm and sincere person to me... just not a people person at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts