Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get Rocky to stop running out the front door when I open it? He never used to do this...seems like the older he gets....errrrrrgh. On the good side, he ususally comes right back when I call him. I want him to sit there and wait for friends and family to walk in before running out to greet them. Even when I went to hang my fall wreath on the door he ran outside behind me...he's so fast I don't even see him do it!:HistericalSmiley:

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
It's going to take two people to do the training. You on the inside, and the other person "coming to visit".

1.When the door bell rings/ or a knock give Rocky the command to sit/wait before you open the door.
2.When the visitor is in have them greet him while he's sitting "sit to greet" then you give him the "good boy" and of course a treat. Continue to do these steps until he waits on his own and doesn't bolt out the door.

If I have forgotten something I'm sure someone elas here will add it. Good luck!

BTW, have you taught him the command STOP!? It may save his life one day.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have no idea how to stop him running out the door-that's always been hard for me,too BUT I had to tell you I just love your siggy-too cute!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Our lhasa was worse. He would run away and not come when called. We had to run after him through the all subdivision. Thankgoodness it happened only 2 or 3 times in 12 years. He was not neutered and that could be one reason he was running away. Don't have that problem with Alex. He will go out if we go out or great people on the door but he will not run away. He stays close. He also comes on command.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Ollie has gotten better about not running out the door and when he does start to run off my husband lets out a loud "Whoa" and he stops in his tracks! Of course when we call him back he looks at us like we're crazy!

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
For some reason Dixie pays attention to the command Wait. When I open the door to go out I tell her to Wait or to Sit then Wait and she does.

I love Marsha's advice, sit to greet. If someone comes to our door Dixie doesn't know she barks her head off. If she knows them she barks her head off and bounces around them so excited she can't stand it when they come in. She is so over excited in both cases I can't get through to her. I love the STOP command. I'm going to try that one. How do you go about that Marsha?

Good luck getting Rocky to stop bolting out the door. That could be really dangerous.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Marsha, I saw that on "it's me or the Dog" and I never tried it, but I think I have to. I wish I could take credit for teaching Rocky to come back in by saying STOP, but what I really do is scream "GET BACK HERE!" and for some reason he makes a U turn.:HistericalSmiley:
I'll have to remember to keep those treats handy while practicing.

It's going to take two people to do the training. You on the inside, and the other person "coming to visit".

1.When the door bell rings/ or a knock give Rocky the command to sit/wait before you open the door.
2.When the visitor is in have them greet him while he's sitting "sit to greet" then you give him the "good boy" and of course a treat. Continue to do these steps until he waits on his own and doesn't bolt out the door.

If I have forgotten something I'm sure someone elas here will add it. Good luck!

BTW, have you taught him the command STOP!? It may save his life one day.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know what...I do that at the BACK door to go out with him to potty. I always say WAIT, and he does...so I can check to see if there are any animals out there. Then I go out with him. I like the sit and greet too. Rocky gets excited just like you explained, I could have written those same exact words!:smrofl: Can you imagine having five of those little excited munchkins at the door?

For some reason Dixie pays attention to the command Wait. When I open the door to go out I tell her to Wait or to Sit then Wait and she does.

I love Marsha's advice, sit to greet. If someone comes to our door Dixie doesn't know she barks her head off. If she knows them she barks her head off and bounces around them so excited she can't stand it when they come in. She is so over excited in both cases I can't get through to her. I love the STOP command. I'm going to try that one. How do you go about that Marsha?

Good luck getting Rocky to stop bolting out the door. That could be really dangerous.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you learn from that dog and teach Alex? Such a good boy Alex!:wub:

Our lhasa was worse. He would run away and not come when called. We had to run after him through the all subdivision. Thankgoodness it happened only 2 or 3 times in 12 years. He was not neutered and that could be one reason he was running away. Don't have that problem with Alex. He will go out if we go out or great people on the door but he will not run away. He stays close. He also comes on command.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:HistericalSmiley:I'll try it and see what happens just for kicks.

Ollie has gotten better about not running out the door and when he does start to run off my husband lets out a loud "Whoa" and he stops in his tracks! Of course when we call him back he looks at us like we're crazy!

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts

Since Dixie and others here are of the tiny variety I would suggest you find a light weight length of rope (20 -25 ft. of clothesline?) instead of the same length of training lead with a heavy snap clip from the big box pet stores. Also use a harness to attach the lead to. You can start in you home if you have a long hall, or open concept home. Have someone get her attention without calling her by name so she will "run" toward them. When she has put about 10 ft between you and the other person, give the lead a LITTLE tug and say STOP! at the same time. When she stops on your command make a big deal of it, give her the "good girl" and the proverbial treat. Lengthen the rope at each training session (no more then 15 min per session) before you tug and say STOP! When you think she's got it drop the lead and just say STOP! After this exercise is successful (make sure your in a fenced yard) remove the lead and practice with her being "free". Always giving a treat when she does it properly. Good luck and give updates on the progress. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is excellent and something I have never heard before. I am doing this...thank you!!!:chili:Will let you know when Rocky understands the command, thanks again!

Since Dixie and others here are of the tiny variety I would suggest you find a light weight length of rope (20 -25 ft. of clothesline?) instead of the same length of training lead with a heavy snap clip from the big box pet stores. Also use a harness to attach the lead to. You can start in you home if you have a long hall, or open concept home. Have someone get her attention without calling her by name so she will "run" toward them. When she has put about 10 ft between you and the other person, give the lead a LITTLE tug and say STOP! at the same time. When she stops on your command make a big deal of it, give her the "good girl" and the proverbial treat. Lengthen the rope at each training session (no more then 15 min per session) before you tug and say STOP! When you think she's got it drop the lead and just say STOP! After this exercise is successful (make sure your in a fenced yard) remove the lead and practice with her being "free". Always giving a treat when she does it properly. Good luck and give updates on the progress. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
This has worked for me :).... also some great advise given already ... the sit and greet is great as the stop and wait also....

I been making my little guy sit and stay every time we go through a door that leads outside since I had him (9 months). Then I take the first step outside and release him with an OK command. Before I read this post I really didn't realize that my little guy is pretty good with open doors almost 99% affective... It takes time like any commands good luck....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts