Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to have all have your pros and cons about having more than 1 maltese. I'm on the fence about getting a playmate for Abbey. The only real reason for me getting another is for Abbey actually. I hate leaving her whining when we have to go places and not take her - Would she be happier to have company while we're gone?

Some questions that I'm unsure about?

1. Would they just mess around outside and potty time take longer?
2. Do they potty at the same time or will I have 2 maltese ringing the bell which means more potty trips?
3. Can they be left in the same crate?
4. Do they ignore you once they get a new friend?
5. Do they constantly lick and sniff each other? (sorry, just wanted to know)
6. Are 2 females better or female and a male? Abbey is spayed! :D
7. Does the barking increase?

Anything else that you may think of. By the way Abbey is 10 1/2 months old now. I already know the con of more medical expense but just wanted to know more about the work involved.
Thanks Everyone!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
hehe. These questions arent really easy to answer. I know for me, Cloud doesn't care much for Noriko. In fact, they fight alot. But most ppl have GREAT experience with 2 furkids. I dont really have regrets because I love them both. But, apparently Cloud would be totally fine being the only dog and alone during times we cant be home with him. It really all comes down to Abbey's personality and how social she is. Of course their potty schedule will be off because you have to take a baby out like every hr and during crazy hrs of the night. But, eventually you should be able to get them on the same schedule.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts

Probably will for a while till they get used to one another, they may just want to run around and chase eachother for a while.

2. Do they potty at the same time or will I have 2 maltese ringing the bell which means more potty trips?

I think you can teach them to go together, but this will take time till the younger baby can hold longer.

I don't know that anyone does leave them together in one crate but I wouldn't think being confined together is a good option. I would probably have 2 crates next to each other.

Gee Scooby does that now and he doesn't have a friend, but seriously I doubt it if they know their own name.

This is normal behaviour for recognition and introduction, but in time that could go away, but then it may not. I don't know as I have only Scooby, but he always sniffs his little friends when out for a walk around the block here.

6. Are 2 females better or female and a male? Abbey is spayed!

This is probably just personal preference, some have same sex, some have one of each, if you have them from a young age they should be fine.

There could be more barking in play and when visitors arrive, I don't know about others but Scooby barks at anything and everything he hears outside or if I call out to hubby when he is in another room, it's like he wants to call out too. All I have to say now is squirt bottle and he stops.

These are just my thoughts and I would think others who have more than one will be able to answer you better

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Oh...let me tell you one good thing. The younger learns from the older. So once you get Abbey well trained, that's a good time to get a second. And when the younger sees Abbey getting praised for pottying outside, she'd potty to get the same attention too! HEHE

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 6 2005, 03:47 PM
hehe.  These questions arent really easy to answer.  I know for me, Cloud doesn't care much for Noriko.  In fact, they fight alot.  But most ppl have GREAT experience with 2 furkids.  I dont really have regrets because I love them both.  But, apparently Cloud would be totally fine being the only dog and alone during times we cant be home with him.  It really all comes down to Abbey's personality and how social she is.  Of course their potty schedule will be off because you have to take a baby out like every hr and during crazy hrs of the night.  But, eventually you should be able to get them on the same schedule.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117265
[/QUOTE]
She wouldn't have to take them out more often if she got say..........a rescue dog (hint, hint) instead of a puppy.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Nov 6 2005, 02:59 PM

Gee Scooby does that now and he doesn't have a friend, but seriously I doubt it if they know their own name.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117266
[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO

i've always said that is the case with The Buttercup. she comes running whenever she hears the fridge open or when she hears me say any of the "spelled out words" that we talked about on another thread LOL.

she's not bright, but she's PRETTY!

ann marie and the "call me anything you like, but don't call me late for dinner!" buttercup

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Mine don't potty outside, but just walking the two at the same time can be hard because they both go in different directions. Tic just gets so excited to meet new people and Peanut likes to walk away from other people so maybe mine are just weirdo's...

the boys use puppy pads and their schedule is pretty much the same. At first of course Tic had to go more often, but now that he's older he can hold it as long as peanut.

My guys have their own crates but sometimes they go into the same crate to sleep. I wouldn't have left them alone in a crate at first though because of the size differences and I'm just paranoid.

I find that Peanut still likes to have alone time with me even though he and Tic get along really well.

It happens, but it's not constant. If one walks by the other, they will give each other a little sniff, but that's about it.

I have two males, can't help you with this one.

My two tend to get each other started with the barking. If one barks at a sound outside the other will join in, if one doesn't bark the other won't either. We're still working on Tic's barking though, it'll get better one day.

BC&N is totally right about the younger one learning from the older one. This can be good or bad depending if Abbey has any habits you don't care for.

I don't have any regrets. Peanut and Tic make a really good pair. The only thing is I feel bad sometimes because I used to take Peanut out a lot with me even if I was just running to the store for a minute, but now with two it would just take forever to get them both together and ready to go, it doesn't really make sense to bring them if I'll only be out for a little while.

Peanut used to get so stressed out when I would leave the house, and now that Tic is here to keep him company, Peanut doesn't even notice when I am gone

I think it depends on Abbey's personality and how she acts when another dog is in her territory.

Good luck on your decision!! Sorry for the long post

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts

Mine usually go inside on potty pads but about once a day when the weather is good we usually go outside to the fenced area. The first thing they both do when out there is to do their business. They never play with each other out there. They are in a parallel universe out there.

Since they go inside most of the time, it's hard to tell. There are no additional potty issues with two.

I have separate crates for each of mine. I think they need their own space.

Oh no.... not at all. In fact, Kallie is much more affectionate now that Catcher is here. They both want my attention first and foremost.

Not at all. The only time they sniff each other is if they have been apart, like if one has been to the vet without the other, etc.

I think it all depends on temperament, etc. Kallie is shy and Catcher comes on strong so she was scared of him for a long time. He bullied her and she had her tail between her legs a lot. Now she knows that he is a big bluffer and she is fine with him. I had always heard that it is best to have two of different sexes but I think it is more personality types than their sex.

Catcher is not a big barker but Kallie is. But if someone comes in to the house it is a symphony of barking.

Anything else that you may think of. By the way Abbey is 10 1/2 months old now. I already know the con of more medical expense but just wanted to know more about the work involved.
I waited until Kallie was two and would have liked to have waited until she was three but couldn't make it that long! You need to think of what it'll be like in 10 years when you have two senior dogs. IMHO I like the idea of a few years between them so you have a younger dog, also. HOWEVER, a Malt who is the one and only would have a harder time adjusting to a new brother or sister if they are older. So there is really no perfect time to get a second.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Mine use pooch pads, can't help you there
2. Do they potty at the same time or will I have 2 maltese ringing the bell which means more potty trips? " "
3. Can they be left in the same crate? probably if the crate gives them enough room
4. Do they ignore you once they get a new friend? Oh no, not at all. They play with each other a lot, but they know I'm the best cuddler.
No, Bella will occasionaly lick Harleys face when its almost time for a bath though, its pretty cute, she uses her nylabone to lure her in and then she lets her have the bone and starts the kisses
I have two females and they seem to get along great, but I've never had a male and a female, so I don't know for sure which is better
Not in my case, Bella's a barker and Harleys a jumper

I like Bella having company when I'm gone and when they go to the groomer, they seem to miss each other if only one goes to the vet, or if they're separated for some reason.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Sammie and his best friend Brutus (my grandpup) get along fine after they have been together for a little while. When the first visit each other, it's a race for dominance, but after they settle down they absolutely love each other. Brutus comes here to visit quite a bit, and when he leaves, Sammie looks for him all over the house and acts a little sad.

I would have a hard time getting a second malt myself because then when the grandbaby comes, there would be three! I work at home and the distraction of three might bee just a bit much.

Samsonsmom

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi and Nikki get along great. They both go potty at the same time. I have 2 crates. I usually leave Lexi out loose in the apartment while I'm at work. Nikki just recently graduated to the exercise pen. This weekend I tried leaving Lexi in the pen with Nikki. Worked out fine but I probably won't do this all the time, maybe only have the day.

Both the girls still love to cuddle. If I'm on the couch and they will usually come laying by me.

No the girls are don't lick and sniff each other that much.

Lexi is a barker and when she barks Nikki will sometimes join in (most of the time she doesn't know what she is barking at
).

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Would they just mess around outside and potty time take longer?
Mine use pee pads and I never seen them try and potty at the same time.. they are polite to each other and let the other finish before going onto the pad.

Can they be left in the same crate?
I don't crate mine but I do leave them in a smallish bathroom when I'm gone and they do fine in there.

Do they ignore you once they get a new friend?
They do tend to play a lot with each other but I get twice the attention since both want me to love on them

Do they constantly lick and sniff each other? (sorry, just wanted to know)

Mine rarely do. About a month ago I saw Tuffy licking Pixie and it was so weird that I had to go see what was up and it turned out she had a piece of kibble stuck in her hair that he was licking! So unless there's a food reason why, they don't ever sniff or lick each other.

Are 2 females better or female and a male? Abbey is spayed!
I have a male and a female and I think it's a great match. I like having one of each. Oddly enough, Tuffy used to be pretty independent and hated to cuddle but now he's a total cuddle bug! I think he got jealous of seeing Pixie getting all this love from me that he changed his mind about cuddling being so yucky.

Does the barking increase?
Not really. Tuffy was a major barker prior to Pixie so I was a little worried about it. Pixie, luckily, isn't a barker and I only hear her on occasion. So the barking is still coming from just Tuffy.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your replies! I hope to find Abbey a playmate one day - I think she would really enjoy one! But since my roundabout with Donale Maltese (see that post under Breeders), I am going to put off my search for now. I wish there were more breeders in my area. Thanks again for all of your experienced advice!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Nov 7 2005, 09:40 PM
Thank you all for your replies!  I hope to find Abbey a playmate one day - I think she would really enjoy one! But since my roundabout with Donale Maltese (see that post under Breeders), I am going to put off my search for now.  I wish there were more breeders in my area.  Thanks again for all of your experienced advice!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117738
[/QUOTE]

Abby, I answered on the other post but was wondering if you've tried Charmypoo's breeder? http://www.chaletdemaltese.com/

Please don't let that one bad experience ruin this process for you!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
ok, i will answer...

maybe, Sampson and Maggie used to go potty outside pretty much on command, now, since Lizzie has came along, they run outside, act crazy and do what they want

we dont ring bells here, Sampson and Maggie will go when i take them outside, i know their "actions", Lizzie? hmmm, Lizzie goes when she wants to, and only when she wants to, but she has got better

never used a crate so i cant answer

NO! each friend depends on you for their own reasons, good and bad :lol:

hmmm, not sure, cant get them apart long enought to tell

Maggie and Sampson got along great, Maggie, Sampson and Lizzie, get along great to, with "moments" of course

it did for us, BUT, Lizzie is a barker, Sampson is not, Maggie is a closet barker, she barks if someone else does, now they all bark, some days are great some days, well, some days...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts