Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried The Honest Kitchen Preference? Does this sound like a good supplement for home cooking? I saw there were lots of healthy fruit and veggies but I also saw zinc amino acid and thought I read somewhere that zinc isn't good.
Here's the link and ingredients:
Preference | The Honest Kitchen
It's a dehydrated food that you add water to and then the protein you're using. I just got some free samples at my local pet store.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I love The Honest Kitchen! I haven't used Preference, but most of the other foods. Not sue about the zinc thing, though. I am sure there are many on this forum who will know.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I had gotten some samples from my local pet store last year and Chloe did like it. I don't know about the zinc though. Some others may have more knowledge on this.

I recently bought a box for a change from Dr. Harvey's but the feeding amounts confused me, so I brought it back. I guess I was having a senile moment, but then again, their customer service wasn't much help in that department either.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
It is a very high quality food.

It was recomended to me by Dr. Becker and is the only premix that is made in a USDA inspected kitchen actually I think it might be the only dog food made in a USDA inspected kitchen.

Honest Kitchen is also the only AAFCO certified premix on the market. EDIT - it is AAFCO compliant after recomended meat amounts are added.

Zinc is fine in the AAFCO recommended quantities.

I use it in rotation with Dr. Harvey's and Sojo's.

It is harder to figure out the measurements of food because they do everything in cups and I am fractionally challenged. But once I got it figured out I was fine.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
For those of you who were confused - This is what my math came up with and then I found it on the website so I know it's correct.

"Meats may be added to Preference at a rate of 1:1 to 2:1 depending on the age, breed and level of activity of your pet."

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!! Good info and sounds like a good company. Leslie and Donna - I also looked at the measurements and scratched my head. Not as much how much mix to protein, but the mix to water ratio and cutting it down enough to work for little Tyler. With Veg to bowl I do 4:1 and work with tablespoons, certainly not cups.:w00t: I'll have to try it. They gave me a few little bags which is great, since sometimes Mr. Picky Pants will like something one day and not eat it the next. :angry:

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Thanks everyone!! Good info and sounds like a good company. Leslie and Donna - I also looked at the measurements and scratched my head. Not as much how much mix to protein, but the mix to water ratio and cutting it down enough to work for little Tyler. With Veg to bowl I do 4:1 and work with tablespoons, certainly not cups.:w00t: I'll have to try it. They gave me a few little bags which is great, since sometimes Mr. Picky Pants will like something one day and not eat it the next. :angry:

Do you mix food up one meal at a time or in batches? I usually do batches unless I'm using a sample and that can get tricky.

I work with Dr. Harvey's, Sojos, and Honest Kitchen regularly so I'm happy to help anyone with getting the ratio's right.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you mix food up one meal at a time or in batches? I usually do batches unless I'm using a sample and that can get tricky.

I work with Dr. Harvey's, Sojos, and Honest Kitchen regularly so I'm happy to help anyone with getting the ratio's right.
I usually do one meal at a time. I work from home so usually it isn't a big deal. Also when I'm trying a new food I just am trying a little. But maybe I should make more. I just don't want the protein (chicken or whatever) sitting around too long. But maybe not? What do you suggest Leslie?

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I have three dogs. So I usually do a batch with 5lbs of meat and refrigerate 3 days worth at time the rest goes in the freezer. That much food usually lasts about 6-7 days for me. With one dog you could probably start with 1-1.5 lbs of meat and that would be enough for a week.

5 lbs of meat (11 cups)
4 cups of dried HK and then add water to rehydrate - I don't measure the water I just add hot water till it looks right.

For me it's easier to do a batch, I have also found it's easier to figure out measurements and proportions with a batch than one serving at a time.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have three dogs. So I usually do a batch with 5lbs of meat and refrigerate 3 days worth at time the rest goes in the freezer. That much food usually lasts about 6-7 days for me. With one dog you could probably start with 1-1.5 lbs of meat and that would be enough for a week.

5 lbs of meat (11 cups)
4 cups of dried HK and then add water to rehydrate - I don't measure the water I just add hot water till it looks right.

For me it's easier to do a batch, I have also found it's easier to figure out measurements and proportions with a batch than one serving at a time.
Thanks - I'll try the 1.5 lbs. for a week but then how much Preference? I'm getting poundage mixed up with cups.
Five pounds of meat just cracked me up. I don't have 5 pounds of dog. :smrofl:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I havent used the preference but I have used the keen. Louis really really likes it alot and gets sooo excited when he sees me heating up the water. I tend to feed him this more in the winter because its warm and I think he needs a warm meal when its cold outside. Also, I add a little more water than it says to and let it sit a bit longer. Hopefully Tyler will like it too!

·
Registered
308 Posts

Yes, please help me with the ratios.. :unsure: I feed Honest Kitchen Preference mixed with raw meat-chicken-turkey, complete,etc.. No Pork.. I add probiotics and vitamins to the mix and at times plain yogurt.. There are times I will add a tiny bit of Innova( although that has been sold to Proctor and Gamble and I will be eliminating that as soon as they change the formula) also and occasionally, Pet Promise canned food. I have 8 dogs here and two more rescues coming in this weekend.. They range in weight from 8 lbs to 15 lbs.. The ones coming this weekend are said to be tiny.. If I mix up a batch, I'm afraid it won't be appropriate for all, so I have been fixing each bowl seperately..As treats they get raw chicken hearts, or sometimes I dehydrate them.. To say I'm getting confused is an under statement..:smilie_tischkante: I have a mental blurb where numbers are concerned!! Any help you can give me would really be appreciated..I love these little ones and want them to be as healthy as I can possibly make them..:wub: Thanks,
Jayne

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am seriously considering The Honest Kitchen also and spoke with a rep yesterday via email. Due to Buckeye's age (6 months), he suggested starting with Embark or Thrive (he's sending me a sample).

I believe these include the protein already...has anyone used either of them?

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I mixed up some sample of Honest Kitchen Preference this morning and fed it to Tyler with chicken. Well it ain't his preference.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: Not a fan. This is when I say thank goodness for samples. He really didn't go for it. He likes the Dr. Harvey's Veg to Bowl much better. This seems to be a very green vegetable based mix and thus smells such. The Veg to Bowl has a large variety of veggies, green, yellow, red and not as acrid a smell. As my DH says, "You've got a high maintenance dog!" Ain't that the truth!:smilie_tischkante:

·
Registered
892 Posts
So I mixed up some sample of Honest Kitchen Preference this morning and fed it to Tyler with chicken. Well it ain't his preference.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: Not a fan. This is when I say thank goodness for samples. He really didn't go for it. He likes the Dr. Harvey's Veg to Bowl much better. This seems to be a very green vegetable based mix and thus smells such. The Veg to Bowl has a large variety of veggies, green, yellow, red and not as acrid a smell. As my DH says, "You've got a high maintenance dog!" Ain't that the truth!:smilie_tischkante:
LOL Sue! That's because Tyler's been on TV! He can be a little more high maintenance now:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL Sue! That's because Tyler's been on TV! He can be a little more high maintenance now:HistericalSmiley:
Yup Diana. I think you've got that right. Maybe he's holding out for one of Oprah's old personal chefs.:smrofl:Maybe I should surprise him with Jillian from Biggest Loser instead.:w00t: She'd scare him into eating. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 35 Posts