Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Wednesday Snowball had a visit at The Hope Center for Advanced Veterinary Medicine in Vienna, Va.

Krisi (as most of you know is Snowball's regular vet and Godmother) recommended a doctor who works with holistic diets, which we all have been working on for Snowball.

In the meantime, Snowball has lost 1/2 pound ... which is lot for him. He has always maintained his weight at very close to six pounds. So, for him to have lost this amount of weight within a month is a concern. However ...

Snowball has been back on Reconcile (he was on this before) and has been having no appetite since being on it this time. In fact, I have noted that after his dose at night, his tummy is very upset for a considerable amount of time ... even with Cerenia. So, Krisi wants to wean him off of it, which we have been doing. The dose is lower, however ... so it seems, we have a Catch 22. If I am understanding Krisi correctly, it can be risky to take Snowball off the Reconcile suddenly. So, we are starting to give him the lower dose, every other day, over the next two weeks ... if Snowball's tummy can tolerate it. Jackie, if you happen to read this ... I am open to feedback.

Although Krisi will not be in the office the next two days, she wants us to call her to let us know how Snowball is doing. (we have her cellphone number ... but, I hate to call her unless Snowball really seems sick) So, now I am worried, that she might be worried ... but, maybe doesn't want me to worry.

Snowball has been on Reconcile because he seems to be suffering from some kind of neurological problem off and on. I guess we are going to have the MRI if things don't get better soon. I've just hated to put Snowball through any unnecessary testing.

So, once again ... and, I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record ... that is why I am not posting as much as I would like. I wish I could respond to every thread ... because I don't want anyone to think I don't care or that your celebrations or requests are any less improtant than mine. I care about all of you.

I am spending a lot of time with Snowball ... giving him massages and observing his every move. I want to keep a diary (as I have always done) of what he is eating and how he reacts to everything.

I look into Snowball's eyes and I feel so bad that I can't know for sure how he feels. I do know when he is not feeling well or if his tummy is bothering him ... but, I don't know exactly why this continues to happen. I worry that I am not doing something that I should be doing ... but, I don't know what. I am spending a lot of time doing research on neurological problems and nutrition, etc.

So, please, once again, if you can pray and think positive thoughts ... that it's just the Reconcile that is effecting his appetite right now ... and, that he will gain back that 1/2 pound soon. Thank you for reading this. And, I'm sorry if this sounds like a downer. I really want to send more fun posts soon.

Pictures below of Snowball as we were leaving The Hope Center. Snowball is asking his Poppi to please hurry up and check us out so that we can go home. And, in the other two pictures he is telling his Mommi to buckle-up, so that Poppi can get him secure ... so that we can finally take off ... and go home! Snowball looks well, thank God.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Marie, I will keep you and Snowball in my thoughts and prayers. Don't worry about responding to post, your priority is your precious Snowball. We all understand. Just keep us posted. I just love the pictures.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Dear Marie - sending lots of prayers and thoughts your way for sweet Snowball Pie.:prayer: I'm so sorry to hear he hasn't been well and has lost weight. I hope that weaning off the drug will help and hope you can get to the bottom of things or a substitute for that drug if something's needed.
Please don't worry about replying to posts -- we know you care and if we don't hear from you a long time -- we'll come looking for you in cyberspace.:HistericalSmiley: Just take care of your lovey boy and let us know how things go. Hoping Jackie might be checking the posts.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't you see Betsy before she retired and she recommended medication that was never started?
Yes, by the book, you should wean of prozac.

Yes, she recommended considering medication, but, only to consider it after we thought about it for a while. She also said we might want to consider the MRI ... but, again recommended to think about that more. She gave us the pros and cons about both the medication and MRI. We haven't wanted to medicate Snowball with seizure medication unless it is absolutely a seizure problem ... which it does not appear to be.

In the meantime ...

I just read the full report from The Hope Center and I am incredibly impressed with how every aspect of their exam (not only Dr. Allen examined Snowball, but, another vet, Dr. Mason fully examined Snowball, too, before Dr. Allen came into the room) is fully documented in detail, along with the recommendations and instructions, etc. In addition, Dr. Allen will be following up with us every week until we have Snowball's new diet worked out. It is going to take a while, because we are ruling out allergies and finding foods that he will like. I also love that she stressed it has to be foods that we feel comfortable cooking and working with ... she seems super dedicated to helping not only her patients, but, their mommies and daddies, too. She stressed how important it is for the success of the whole family. And, I love that she is working directly, not only with us, but, Dr. Krisi, too. She talked to Krisi the next morning on the phone and is keeping in contact with her, too.

Again, I am really impressed with the report and instructions from The Hope Center. I haven't seen a written report like this since Dr. Reich's consult here at our home a few years ago. And, to my surprise, for a doctor (well, two doctors) ... for having spent an hour and a half with us, the charge was only $175.00 ... that, to me, is impressive within itself. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jackie, for responding to my thread. It is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Marie, I had no idea Snowball hasn't been feeling well. I thought everything was better. I'll be thinking about you both and praying things get worked out soon and your little guy is 100% himself.
Don't worry about not answering threads but please keep us posted on how that sweet boy is doing.
Hugs to you both.
:grouphug:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Lovely pictures of little Snowball. :) I hope he feels better soon and that whatever it is gets properly sorted. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Marie -- I had no idea that your precious Snowball was still having so many problems. My heart goes out to you, and most certainly, Snowball's health (and your own health) are your top priorities.

The Hope Center sounds fabulous, and I just pray that they can come up with a diet that will help Snowball.

I just want to reach out through the computer and give you a huge hug and kisses to Snowball.

Please keep us posted, when you feel up to it, on how he's doing.

I am sending lots and lots of prayers your way.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Marie i will definitely be keeping Snowball in my prayers. Please keep us updated on his progress.:grouphug::prayer::grouphug:
Like others have said, don't worry about not posting to the other threads, your main concern is Snowball and yourself. We all know how much you care. :hugging:

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Keeping little Snowball in my prayers! The photos do look adorable and to see them, you'd never think anything was amiss! He looks very happy and contented :wub:

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Hope Center is fantastic, I've only heard good things about them. Im sure you are in good hands and I wish the best for little Snowball.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Hi Marie, the Hope Center sounds like a state of the art facility. I'm so glad to hear Snowball is able to be seen there. The diary is a great idea. I'm a firm believer in documenting everything. It's important for looking back for patterns, or, noticing something a little different. I will keep Snowball in my prayers that the Reconcile is the culprit for the weight loss and lowering his dosage slowly will help increase his appetite. Don't worry about keeping up with all the threads, just focus on your sweet little man. That's what is most important. The pics of Snowball are adorable.

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
You know how I feel about you all, sweetie. You're always #1 on my list.
xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxox

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Marie, my heart goes out to you and Snowball. That little boy never stops smiling despite all he has and still is going through. You and Snowball remain on the top of my prayer list. Praying that the Hope Center can make a difference. It sounds like a wonderful place. Prayers, hugs and love. xoxo

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Marie, I am so so sorry for all you are going through with Snowball. Poor little guy. I'm glad though, that you have such a wonderful vet and the Hope Center sounds fabulous too. In fact, I think I'm going to look in to them too for my cat who has been ill. I'm keeping Snowball in my prayers...hoping he will be feeling better soon!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts