Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm glad I read this. I have Trupanion and could not decide to keep it or cancel. Majority of ppl I have spoken to dont have insurance. I've even read a few articles that say it is a waste of money.. but I think I will keep it. Mortgage, bills etc, there's no way we can afford to shell out 7K and not get it back..

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I would loooove to get health insurance for my dogs. Unfortunately, I can't get my husband on board with it. He thinks it's unneccessary. Ugh! We had a miniature poodle/shih tzu mix that passed away 5 years ago at the age of 12. He had something going on, but all of his bloodwork was negative. The vet recommended an exploratory CT scan, which would have cost around $1700, & still might not be conclusive. At the time his troubles started, our little Trooper was around 10 yrs old & hubby just was not willing to spend the money, & I wasn't working at the time, so I wasn't bringing in any income. I hate it when I think back on all of it. And it makes me so mad that he STILL refuses to get insurance!
Did anyone else here successfully persuade their spouse to see the practicality of it? Because even after that, mine still doesn't. SMH! And with Cupcake being a mill dog, it's a chance I don't want to take. Especially because her legs are so bowed from being in a crate her whole life. I'm sure she'll have joint issues in her future :crying:
And not to mention, my mini schnauzer is almost 13, & Daisy is a BYB dog, so who knows what problems she may encounter...and off topic, I was in Petco the other day & they had all these different breed books, & I'm more convinced than ever that Daisy is a bichon mix. And I'm not sure anymore that she's even part maltese. I'll never know! But I still love her to bits, of course!
Your hubs sounds like my hubs! I just signed up for it online one day and told him about it later. It was less than $200 for the year, that's like a grocery bill for us, so I just went with the whole "don't ask for permission ask for forgiveness" train of thought!. :HistericalSmiley: He just rolled his eyes. But he did agree that he probably wouldn't willingly cough up thousands for a vet bill so he didn't fuss about it. I would look into it for your younger dogs b/c you probably couldn't get insurance on your 13 y.o. dog, and maybe not on Cupcake depending on how old she is (I think there's an age cutoff). I signed Steve up as a maltese mix since he's from a rescue and doesn't have papers, and frankly he looks like a mix! It was a little cheaper than purebred maltese.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'm glad I read this. I have Trupanion and could not decide to keep it or cancel. Majority of ppl I have spoken to dont have insurance. I've even read a few articles that say it is a waste of money.. but I think I will keep it. Mortgage, bills etc, there's no way we can afford to shell out 7K and not get it back..
Insurance IS a waste of money until you need it! Probably too depends on what type of dog you have. Some dogs are just more prone to problems/injuries than others don't you think?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I also have Trupanion. Just signed up for it a month ago. Its about all we have here in Ontario. I was given a brochure of it from the vet when I first got Pipper but I didn't take the insurance then. Now I'm sorry since he has asymptomatic LP that is now pre existing so he won't be covered for that if it causes him problems. I just pray I NEVER need to use the insurance for any reason but I like the peace of mind that it gives me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Insurance IS a waste of money until you need it! Probably too depends on what type of dog you have. Some dogs are just more prone to problems/injuries than others don't you think?

Exactly. When problem arises and don't have insurance, you wish you did. So, I think its worth it. My pup jumped off the couch and he hurt himself.. was limping for a few days. Thank God it was not serious and xray was not needed. However, Trupanion covered the medicine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bentley has VPI. Right now we are battling liver issues and I sleep at night knowing I will get reimbursed. So far I have spent $900 this week and doesn't include the 1 month follow up.

I chose VPI because of the rider for wellness. He is just a year so I got it knowing I want to get chip chipped and we have flea issues so some of that is covered

So glad I bought it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
24,006 Posts
Just found out one of my friend's daschund's had a bad back problem needing lots of diagnostics and meds and then found a lump on her other one which was operated on and cancer:( She is racking up huge bills and has no insurance:( it all happened in a heartbeat. We never know! Hey i didn't expect to injure my knee so badly and with deductible and co-insurance owe $7000. Without insurance it would be around $80,000. I'm a believer in insurance!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I so wish I would not have only thought of getting it for Lola but actually have gone through with it. I had it in Florida for Sasha until we moved to NYC and lost our insurance. At the time she was 10 so no insurance would accept her. Now with Lola's condition I don't think we will be able to get her insured. Please learn from my mistake and get your dogs insured, had it been something worse who knows how much I would owe, are bills were expensive but still somewhat affordable for us.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Due to reading these posts last week I bought Mindy pet insurance with Trupanion! My vet said out of all of them she like this the most.
- Provides 90% coverage for treatments of injuries & illnesses
- Has no financial limits: Per year, per illness or per pet
- Covers approved surgeries, diagnostic tests, medications & hospital stays
- Covers therapeutic pet foods & dietary supplements
- Pays customer based on actual veterinarian bill – NOT on pre-determined benefits schedule
- Pays customer based on actual veterinarian bill – NOT on pre-determined benefits schedule
- Allows customers to choose their own deductible amount (including a $0 deductible)

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I just got VPI for my three girls. Wish I had done it sooner. After I saw the vet bill for Beth's spay I decided it was a good idea. It was too late for her bills, but it sure will help with the other two's spays. I opted for the higher end plan and added the wellness program. Looks like is going to run me about $140 a month for all three. I haven't told my husband...he thinks it is a waste of money. He has no clue what vet bills over the last year have totaled...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
When I tell people that I have medical insurance on Mia they says I'm going overboard. She also has her own credit card...used only for her for the vet's office. It even has her picture on it.

But, if I ever need it, that insurance will come in handy. I have Pet Plan...$200 deductible and 100% reimbursement plan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Before I brought Mason home, I looked at a few plans but opted out when I signed up for the plans with PetsMart. February of this year Mason was bitten by a German Sheppard at daycare which resulted in a collapsed lung and fractured rib. My baby flat-lined at one point. His sitter had insurance with Dogvacay but I had to be reimbursed which is fine. However I had to pay his $1700 bill before he could be released. I say that to say this...what if I didn't have the money to pay it.....what if she didn't have insurance and there was no reimbursement? Reading through the comments I will surely get some insurance TODAY.

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
My Violet had pancreatitis this winter. Her vet bill was 1,800 at the pet ER and 200.00 at the regular vet. I was reimbursed over 1,500 with Pet Plan. I did have to pay first, but the reimbursement didn't take too long.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
When I got Riley I got VPI with the wellness program. It runs 35. a month it has so far paid for all his vaccinations, his blood work when he was neutered, $20. on his microchip, and it pays for his heartworm protection. Gotta call tomorrow and get it started on Sissy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
We just paid a small fortune to try to save my maltese Paris's life to no avail and I thought about pet insurance but a friend who works in a vets office told me consumer reports groups say it is a poor value. We looked into it and in the past 10 years it would have cost us more money than we paid even with Paris's last expenses. With insurance you are always betting against yourself to some extent, so there is the chance you will spend more on insurance than on claims. Still after crunching the numbers for our three pets, we are going to just stay self- insured. The analogy between having people and pets insured isn't exactly perfect either. Dog surgeries and medical cost hurt sure but wouldn't break us as could cost with our human children. Humans can intellectualize the extreme measures that are so often so expensive in medicine. For example, I wouldn't put a pet through stem cell cancer treatment even if it were free (I doubt many pet insurance plans would pay out a million anyway) but I would want it for my human family members who could understand the suffering is worth the payoff. Or even for a child who could maybe understand it someday. I wouldn't do it to a dog, but that is just me. So it is good to consider but it is good to really crunch the numbers too and do what is best for your individual financial situation.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts