Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys. Just wondering what type of proof of breed a company like Pet Plan needs? Both of my boys are rescue so there isn't any "bloodline" paperwork or official breeder information for them.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have Pet Plan, my guy is a rescue. I signed him up as a maltese mix (which was cheaper than maltese, and I am pretty sure he is a mix with poodle or bichon), and they never asked for proof of breed. I have never made a claim though. I would guess if it was an issue they'd ask the vet?

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Celeta is right as far as PP. They never ask for proof of anything. just sign up and pay a premium. And if you file a claim, everything is communicated/verified by the vetenarian.

PS-I ask vets office to submit everything to PP. (I gave a blank unsigned claim form to vet to scan in their system). Just need to remind them ea time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi! I am getting pet insurance for my pup when I get him, because of pre-existing conditions exclusions. But I am concerned, what if I decide to switch insurance plans? Will previously illness covered by a plan be considered pre-exisiting if I ever change plans?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hi! I am getting pet insurance for my pup when I get him, because of pre-existing conditions exclusions. But I am concerned, what if I decide to switch insurance plans? Will previously illness covered by a plan be considered pre-exisiting if I ever change plans?

If you switch insurance companies they will consider previous illness as pre-existent conditions. We had VPI for the boys since day 1 and I switch it over to Healthy Paws but had to keep Ben on VPI as he has been diagnosed with level 1 LP and anything related to it would not be covered on Healthy Paws.

I have Dom and Elena on HP and Ben on VPI. Here is a link you might like to read about our choice on the insurance companies. I'm happy with both companies but believe HP has a few better benefits.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194218

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Funny thing as we are about to get our Snoopy in August. My wife works for CVS pharmacy and she just received some promo ad that pet insurance can now be take out of her check. Has anyone dealt with CVS pet insurance?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have Nationwide Pet Insurance (previously VPI) for my two boys. I had the older policy with condition caps, but switched to the newer wellness plan, which is the best policy. It covers everything, including titres, homeopathic meds, accupuncture, PT, - anything and everything including vaccines and wellness exams! There is a $250 deductible per year, but then covers 90% after that. The most important thing is to insure as a puppy before any pre-existing conditions pop up. I pay ~ $116/month for both of my fluffs to be insured. Peace of mind is priceless!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Another good thing to have is Care Credit card to use at the vet before reimbursement is received from insurance. I use it to cover expenses up front and then pay Care Credit after I receive reimbursement. This way I separate canine medical bills from everyday stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you, wife is already looking into it and has a co worker that has VPI but the numbers(premium) seem to be higher here in Southern California for deductibles. I sill have a month before we pick up our Snoopy. We will do our research and get the insurance as soon as we have him on hand.

Thank you

I have Nationwide Pet Insurance (previously VPI) for my two boys. I had the older policy with condition caps, but switched to the newer wellness plan, which is the best policy. It covers everything, including titres, homeopathic meds, accupuncture, PT, - anything and everything including vaccines and wellness exams! There is a $250 deductible per year, but then covers 90% after that. The most important thing is to insure as a puppy before any pre-existing conditions pop up. I pay ~ $116/month for both of my fluffs to be insured. Peace of mind is priceless!

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I'm comparing pet insurance plans. Anyone know anything about Healthy Paws. An internet site gave it the number one ranking. My vet's office didn't even have a brochure on it. Just wondering?

Lainie

·
Registered
120 Posts
We love petplan. It is a bit pricey but our Sugarplum has MVD so we are always back and forth at the vet , especially with BAT.
We got her on petplan since she was a puppy, she is now 5/12 and i just recently went over all of our paid out claims, *we have a big claim coming soon* and petplan has paid as back over $17,000 in the last 5 years.
They are a GODSEND

·
Premium Member
24,006 Posts
Do you have a wellness plan with your insurance or do you recommend a major medical plan for acute illness?

Thanks
The plan I've had is only for illness or injury but it also covers congenital diseases etc. Well care isn't the thing that costs a lot. It's the diagnostics...exrays, MRIs, USs that cost the big bucks and also some meds and treatments. The normal vet visits are much smaller potatoes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bentley has VPI. Right now we are battling liver issues and I sleep at night knowing I will get reimbursed. So far I have spent $900 this week and doesn't include the 1 month follow up.

I chose VPI because of the rider for wellness. He is just a year so I got it knowing I want to get chip chipped and we have flea issues so some of that is covered

So glad I bought it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
What plan is VPI? I want to get insurance for my 6 mo old but the choices are overwhelming. I am concerned about foreign body ingestion and potential congenital issues and trying to find a plan that covers both.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I'm comparing pet insurance plans. Anyone know anything about Healthy Paws. An internet site gave it the number one ranking. My vet's office didn't even have a brochure on it. Just wondering?

Lainie
I have had Healthy Paws for the past 7 years and have been pretty happy with them. They have paid somewhere between 50-60 thousand dollars on Lacies medical issues.
The only thing I have been annoyed with, is this past year they seem to deny everything. Even things they have covered for the past 7 years will get denied. So the inconvenience for me to have to call everytime I file a claim is really annoying, to the point that I would think twice before I referred them like I do. They did go up over $100 Per month this last year for my 3 girls plan, whereas in the past, it was just a few dollars.
Overall, they have been pretty good.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts