Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dolce has all his shots .. except lepto , my vet was kind of vouching for it but ive read that it should only be given if the fluff is exposed .. what do u think , ? am i wrong for not giving him the vaccine .. he is never exposed to dirty water , hes usually home with me .. should he get it or not?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A few years ago my vet was really pushing this for my Aussie and Poodle. They went to dog park every day. Aussie got the vacine and was fine. Poodle threw up for days. Fluff isn't going to get it

it doesn't seem to be prevalent here, I'd do it if it was.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't do it if you don't let your dog run around in really dirty areas. Two vets said that I really didn't need it for my dogs

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i thought !! thank u , im always with him , he hardly goes around anywhere dirty or with stagnant water .. thanks..

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Only if your pet is high risk. I vaccinate 1 of my 3. He does fine with it. If he were to get lepto it would be a death sentence (due to pre-existing issues). We go with the vaccine.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,702 Posts
I live in Greece & there are rats passing through water on the streets where people water the sidewalks to clean them---if a rat passes through water it can contaminate---so I do this vaccine---dogs only need a little sip from the street to catch lepto---you need to evaluate your risks.
By this I mean the "4 legged rats" not the 2 legged ones!:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
There are members here whose maltese have had lepto and almost died. So they regularly vaccinate. Strangely they don't live in a highly urban area where rats seem to be more prevalent. So I guess it can happen anywhere.

I do live in a very urban area, a lot of high rises, alleys that rats like to hang out in but after experiencing Toto having a bad reaction to the vaccine, I don't vaccinate either of mine. Tuffy has a compromised immune system and other than rabies, I regularly have titer tests as opposed to annual vaccines. I don't know if there truly is a right or wrong answer. There are different strains of lepto and the vaccination is only effective for 8 months or so (from what I recall.)

I see a lot of my neighbors walk through alleys with their dogs to toss out a poopy bag but I hang onto mine until we get back home or find a trash container elsewhere. I know rats can be anywhere but I try to minimize the risk as best as I can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts