Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
There are members here whose maltese have had lepto and almost died. So they regularly vaccinate. Strangely they don't live in a highly urban area where rats seem to be more prevalent. So I guess it can happen anywhere.

I do live in a very urban area, a lot of high rises, alleys that rats like to hang out in but after experiencing Toto having a bad reaction to the vaccine, I don't vaccinate either of mine. Tuffy has a compromised immune system and other than rabies, I regularly have titer tests as opposed to annual vaccines. I don't know if there truly is a right or wrong answer. There are different strains of lepto and the vaccination is only effective for 8 months or so (from what I recall.)

I see a lot of my neighbors walk through alleys with their dogs to toss out a poopy bag but I hang onto mine until we get back home or find a trash container elsewhere. I know rats can be anywhere but I try to minimize the risk as best as I can.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.