Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
When I had Sammie tested as a puppy, he was a (59 post food) which is elevated, but he is still totally healthy. MaryH helped me so much several years ago. I found many Vets just aren't up to date with BAT or shunts. But I have a new Vet that is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nicole, can you share the blood results with us? I'd be curious to know what the ALT/AST levels are. And I'd also be curious why the vet has prescribed lactulose ... which will cause your puppy to have a very soft stool. Lactulose is something that generally is not prescribed except in the case of a definitely diagnosed liver shunt.

Hi Mary, the vet actually did not tell me the levels. She just said that because he was so sick she was going to try these meds out and I go see her again on Friday. He definitely is feeling better today! Playful and eating more frequently. He is even getting easier to give the meds to. I will ask her for a copy of the lab report so I can get a clearer picture of what is going on. He is getting repeat labs on Friday as well I think. Are there any other questions I should be asking her? I also had something weird happen today. My cat started throwing up. Tucker hasn't thrown up since before we went to the vet on Friday but I am wondering if it isn't related somehow. I questioned another vet on the phone and she wasn't wanting to speculate but didn't think they were related. She said where we live, viruses like Lepto aren't common and it would more likely be something the cat got into. But still makes me wonder...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone!. I am a new member joining this forum, and the reason because I am here is that my 16 weeks old Maltese has a liver shunt. I am totally scare I do not know much about this disease. My baby is still very small I do not know how to treat this disease or genetic issue. I need some advice she can't get her surgery done until I save some money. Thank you I will keep you up date!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys, I am just new in this forum, and I was wondering if anyone knows about liver shunts or MVD in Maltese puppies. Charlotte got her bile test high 75. She is three months already and I am pretty scared about it, she had a seizure once two weeks ago, and was not eating well, she refused everything except chicken. The vet suggested a very low protein diet, she is now eating pretty well, I am not feeding her with chicken anymore. I got dry food Eukanuba and I gave to her small amounts, she likes it, but seems like she is still hungry after I feed her. She was weighing 1.45 kg. two weeks ago. I do not know how much food should I give to her since a I am not sure if she has a liver shunt or MVD. Thank you, if you have any questions please let me know I will appreciate any advice or comments. I will keep you update it. I promise to tell you Charlotte's story since the beginning is not easy to face this issue, but we love her so much, and we want to do our best to keep her happy and healthy

·
Registered
3 Posts
:
Hello guys, I am just new in this forum, and I was wondering if anyone knows about liver shunts or MVD in Maltese puppies. Charlotte got her bile test high 75. She is three months already and I am pretty scared about it, she had a seizure once two weeks ago, and was not eating well, she refused everything except chicken. The vet suggested a very low protein diet, she is now eating pretty well, I am not feeding her with chicken anymore. I got dry food Eukanuba and I gave to her small amounts, she likes it, but seems like she is still hungry after I feed her. She was weighing 1.45 kg. two weeks ago. I do not know how much food should I give to her since a I am not sure if she has a liver shunt or MVD. Thank you, if you have any questions please let me know I will appreciate any advice or comments. I will keep you update it. I promise to tell you Charlotte's story since the beginning is not easy to face this issue, but we love her so much, and we want to do our best to keep her happy and healthy:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,353 Posts
Welcome to SM Charllote---please hit the Search button above & read up on Liver Shunt as much as you can and come back w/your questions. There are lots of people on the forum who have experience w/dogs w/high bile acids. I, myself, have had a dog w/liver shunt so, again, there will be some who can help you.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts