Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

Molly's mom gave me the idea to make a new thread here in SM to share the Snowy's story of how he became a water lover. I have clips and pictures attacheed with this post to show what I mean in his story and to entertain you guys while reading (you can just skip them if you want too
especially for the old SM members who already saw few of them)

First of all, I did not teach him anything; it all started when:

Snowy fell in the pool by accident when he was 4 months old. He was following my sister while she was walking; she got close to the pool (Snowy as well) but then he was way too close and fell. I was there; ran to the pool to get him out. I remember myself being so scared and worried and that time. Snowy, on the other hand, swam calmly to me

That was the first time I saw my malt swim.

Then, my little brother played a role. You see, my little brother loves to play with his toys in the pool. He put his boats, balls and other toys in there. Snowy LOVES to play with toys, and seeing the toys in the water used to interest him. He was being driven crazy to know that he couldn't reach them. All he used to do at the beginning is bark at the toys and try to get them

See this short video of Snowy and Barny, the farm dog, to see what I mean:
Snowy a stage before becoming a water maltese retriever
I shared it in youtube a year ago

Snowy kept on acting in that way for a while until one day (for my shock), he jumped into the pool and started swimming towards the toy that he was after
I could not believe my two eyes when I saw him. People who I told about him couldn't believe that too coz he not only jumped on his own and swam, but also retrieved the toy
I was like: is he trying to be a labrador retriever or something....

Here is what I had to share of him retrieving a ball with everyone for the first time
Snowy the maltese-retriever

so that seeing toys in the pool was one thing that make Snowy swim.
Another thing is when the weather becomes really hot. Snowy jumps into the pool and takes a short swim --> here is a click to proof it It's getting hot in here, so lets take a short swim

He not only loves to swim in our pool, but also in the big ocean

take a look at this video and you will see Snowy having fun at the beach, then swimming in the sea

Snowy at the beach

Ocean and pool is not enough. Anything with water, Snowy will love. I remeber once while we were on vacation in Germany, we were in a boat in a BIG lake. There were ducks who approached our boat. Before we knew it, Snowy jumped right into the lake, started to swim and chase the ducks away (too bad coz I dont have my camera with me to show you) Besides, I did not expect that from him. I was worried (as always especially coz it was a big lake and i had the idea of *what if he got tired from swimming*) and chased goofy Snowy with the boat until I reached him and grabbed him out from the lake to the boat...

so yeah...that is it for his story and his swimming adventures

Thanks for reading,

Kat

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
I love seeing Snowy enjoy himself in the water! And it was nice to see Melon again.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sir N is like that as well. No idea if Little C is as she hasn't ever been around water that she could get into. Word of warning on the ducks....I've heard that they will sometimes gang up on what they perceive to be a threat and try to drown the "threat". I rather believe it as I did see a group of ducks circle Sir N one day when he went swimming in their pond and it looked like they were going to go after him. Luckily, he turned and came back towards me when I called and another, much bigger, dog jumped in and scared the ducks into flying away.

How does Snowy react when YOU swim? Sir N panicks and tries to save me.

Is Snowy also as weird about puddles as Sir N? I don't understand why he LOVES to swim, but will go way out of his way to avoid walking through a puddle.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Very cute! Thanks for sharing!!! I didnt know that our babies could go in the pool!! I guess I am going to take to take Mia for a swim with me next time we visit my mom!

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Kat I LOVE that you share Snowy the Water dog with us, he's amazing!

enJOY!
Melanie

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I think Snowy
is amazing, in or out of the water. I don't think Boo or Hannah would ever voluntarily go in the water, even for a steak. I love watching Snowy enjoy being in the water.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Every time I see Snowy swimming, it makes me smile.
I've had many Lhasas that fell into our pool in Scottsdale, and they were terrified and didn't like to swim at all. The closest I ever came was one that use to lay on the floatie with me.

As we don't have a pool here in NM (on purpose) I don't know if either Lacie or Tilly could/would swim, but Tilly loves the huge jacuzzi tub that we have and loves taking her bath there and looks like she wants to jump in whenever I take a bath without her -- so she MIGHT be a Snowy and like the water too.

Snowy is adorable and your pics are fantastic.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Snowy - the Aquadic Dog !!

Max has been thrown in the pool on occasions by my daughters
and he manages to flop his paws and paddle to the steps - we taught him where the steps are incase he fell in one day accidently.

When we are in the pool - the gutless wonder would rather watch us from inside the screen door - resting on the cool marble floor ...

Nope - he doesn't like the pool much - Snowy is really an extra-ordinary boy !!!

·
Premium Member
20,033 Posts
Kat, I always enjoy seeing Snowy swimming!!! He looks so happy

Keep 'em coming - you do a good job. I might try my guys in the lagoon in our back yard this summer, my Bichon used to swim with me, but so far I've been too afraid to let the malts in. You and Snowy have given me confidence...(but only with their life jackets on! LOL)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this. My husband and I are hoping that Molly will enjoy the pool with us. Molly will come right up to the edge and is fascinated by the movement of the water. Annie, on the other hand, won't come anywhere near the pool. We did hold Molly in the pool the other day and she seemed fine and then we let her swim between the 2 of us. She didn't panic and her heart wasn't even racing. Hopefully by the end of summer, she will be spending lots of time in the water............................Pat

By the way, if that would have been one of my dogs that jumped off the boat to get the ducks I would have freaked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts