Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schuster and Grace have gotten along great from the moment we brought Grace home. Sure there was a brief period of jealousy shown by Schuster, but that was expected, and he did behave better than anticipated.

They have always played great together, and "wrestled" with each other, growling at each other and chasing each other around the house, taking toys from one another, and tugging on toys as if they are playing tug of war.

Well, a week ago, we came home and found that Schuster was limping on his right hind leg and had a very small amount of blood on his paw. So I took him to the bathroom and cleaned the area with soap & water. I saw some dried blood around his toe nail. Well, we gently wrapped a band aid around his paw in case it bled more during the night. He limped for a while with the band aid, but by morning he was walking on it. I left it on there while we were at work & school, but removed it later that evening and cleaned it. He appeared to be fine.

Well, last night they got to wrestling again and same ole injury occurred- except this time his whole paw nail came off. I found it laying in the floor. That is how I discovered that he'd been hurt (again). So, we've cleaned it again and have it bandaged and will take him to the vet in the morning to let her look at it.

Yall reckon we should seperate the two for a while?
Is it normal for them to rough house to this extreme?
Will they continue to rough house this much even if we seperate them?

I've never saw Grace "attack" him first- he's the bully and she's the sweet little girl. She doesn't hesitate to guard what's hers and growl at him, LOL!!!

There has never been any injuries before in their playing- just growling, chasing each other, and tugging at opposite ends of the same toy. The don't seem to be getting aggressive with each other, I just feel as if it was an accident. I don't know... what do yall think????

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I've had Catcher since July and I still don't leave him and Kallie alone together. I always watch them. They can play fairly rough and I just want to make sure nothing bad happens...

You probably should keep them separated unless you're at home. Then you can see how they play and what is happenening... assess the situation, etc.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:eek: That would make me nervous too. I would separate them until you figured it out. If they don't do it to that extreme when you are home, maybe it is just a freak thing that happened this one time like Nicole said. It seems to me that if they are about the same size etc...that they will take care of themselves...but I am no expert.

V

·
0 Posts
The injury you describe is not indicative of what happens when 2 dogs wrestle together...it sounds like that nail was caught on something... this needs immediate vet care....it is an i njury that easily can lead to infection..please go to the vet.

There are no hard and fast rules here but usually the injuries you would see if 2 housemate dogs of equal size get in to a toussle and things go too far is puncture wounds on the back or perhaps the neck..
Your first action should be a vet visit

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
that is soooo scary! we even let ellie and gruffi rough house with each other...and none of them have ever bled. i've heard a few cries...but they were always Gruffis!

you should definitely seperate them for a little while...at least till he heals. and watch where he's walking. which nail is it? i've heard of dew claws snagging on carpet (so i go both of gruffis removed). good luck! i really hope gracie isnt hurting him.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
How old are Schuster and Grace? Have they both been spayed/neutered?

I tend to agree with others, that perhaps the nail injury was caused by something else. If they are playing too rough, though, they need to supervised at all times.

Maybe Joe can switch this thread to tht Training section so it doen't get "Lost" here.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
We never leave Chester and Chelsey along together without us being there. When we go out we seporate them. They get a long great but the breeder told us to alway make sure they are seporated when we are not home.

I would seporate them for now to find until you find out what's goin go

1 - 8 of 8 Posts