Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, Monday, I took little Dolcina to the Vet again because her eye was still inflamed:blink:.

He did a "Schirmer Tear Test" which is fluoroscein stain of the cornea.
It turned out there was a scratch of the cornea and he had to change the drops to a different eye solution.

Then we went over the 2 blood tests which he conducted:
One was a general blood panel called TBF. The second test is called T4ED-Add which results showed she has a very high cholesterol (639 - when it should be between 92-324) and extremely high triglyceride (1215 - when it should be between 29 - 291).

Needless to say I burst into :crying: tears. Furthermore her BUN is 33 (should be 6-31) and Creatinine is 3.0 (should be 0.5-1.6):huh:

She will need to take Soloxine 0.1mg 1/2 tablet x day I guess.........for life:smcry:

Is it suppose to be that a dog who, supposedly was bread to perfection, has at such early age this kind of illness?:confused:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Today, Monday, I took little Dolcina to the Vet again because her eye was still inflamed:blink:.

He did a "Schirmer Tear Test" which is fluoroscein stain of the cornea.
It turned out there was a scratch of the cornea and he had to change the drops to a different eye solution.

Then we went over the 2 blood tests which he conducted:
One was a general blood panel called TBF. The second test is called T4ED-Add which results showed she has a very high cholesterol (639 - when it should be between 92-324) and extremely high triglyceride (1215 - when it should be between 29 - 291).

Needless to say I burst into :crying: tears. Furthermore her BUN is 33 (should be 6-31) and Creatinine is 3.0 (should be 0.5-1.6):huh:

She will need to take Soloxine 0.1mg 1/2 tablet x day I guess.........for life:smcry:

Is it suppose to be that a dog who, supposedly was bread to perfection, has at such early age this kind of illness?:confused:
I'm sorry, I don't know. What kind of illness is it? I'm so sorry your baby has problems. I hope you've spoken to her breeder.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
A Schirmer tear test evaluates tear production. A fluoroscein stain looks for scratches.

Did your vet address those elevated kidney values?

High chol and triglycerides don't have the same implications in dogs as they do in people. If the sample was lipemic that can effect the results.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm sure others more familiar with these things will chime in and let you know how manageable it is.

I don't think any living animal can be 'bred to perfection' though, things come up- whether it's in dogs or humans or any other living being.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I know you are upset and I'm really sorry. I do have to say that there is no way that anyone can breed a perfect animal. This is a living being and breeders are not God. The Soloxine is not a big deal .. just a little pill every day. You will likely see a huge improvement once she starts it. I couldn't get over how Rosebud was a different dog once she had the Soloxine.

According to this link 80% of dogs with hypothyroidism have high cholesterol. My Rosebud had so much fat in her blood that they couldn't even do a blood test.

Thyroid Diseases: Hypothyroidism in Dogs

You are lucky it was diagnosed so quickly. Rosebud got very ill and was at the NC State Vet. Hospital for a couple weeks ... yet no one did a thyroid test! Only when her blood was lipemic (full of fat) when her vet at the time tried to do a blood test after she was released from the hospital, did we find out what her problem was. (Lipemia is a symptom of hypothyroidism and was a clue that maybe this was the problem.)

Hoping you'll see a great improvement soon!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry about this. I know you are very upset and that is understandable. I hope the meds help and Dolcina can lead a healthy long life.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady has hypothyroidism and it's really no big deal. She gets 1/2 pill (Soloxine) twice a day which runs about $13 for two months. I get a thyroid panel done once a year to make sure her dosage is still correct. I wish all her health issues were as easy and inexpensive to maintain.

I think hyperthyroidism is fairly common in Maltese.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Yes, my first Maltese was also diagnosed hypothyroid. That was frankly the easiest illness I have ever had to deal with with any of my dogs. It is an easy daily pill that is extremely cheap compared to most meds and it seems to be without any side effects and it fixes the problem.

Now as to the other issues, could they be related to her rapid weight gain? With the thyroid meds and a careful diet, those things may also normalize.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Sammy - I'm so sorry but at least it seems to be fixable. Let us know how she does on the meds and I still hope you'll get past medical records so you have the full picture. :grouphug:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I am sorry to hear of her problems. Sounds like she will be fine though with her monitored medication. It is a shame that you will have to deal with it for many years though. :( :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,702 Posts
We always suffer when our "loved ones" hurt for ANY reason. God made us that way. So tears can be a release.
I hope & pray the kidney issues are addressed and that all will go well w/the thyroid meds--she will love you for taking such good care of her.
I hope you will feel better soon too. Hugs.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
im sorry to hear that ur baby is sicky , but hopefully that lil pill will make her feel all better ,she is beautiful and she has a mommy that loves her alot so that will def help.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Cholesterol readings are a non-issue with dogs.

Thyroid issues are easily treatable.

Do not compare these things to human medical issues or worry too much. All will be well. No dog is perfect, no matter how great their breeder is. There are no guarantees in life. We just do the best we can with what we are given.

Slightly off topic: If anyone is worried about their dog's weight, please take Dr. Becker's advice and cut the carbs from your pet's diet and provide adequate water, even adding water to food.

If you are a skeptic, just try it for 3 weeks. I guarantee you'll see a difference.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would definitely call the breeder and let him know your dog has issues. I don't think there's anything he will/can do about it, but I would think he would want (and SHOULD) know about this.

Sounds like it's an easily fixed and pretty cheap problem to solve :) Glad you took her in! If you hadn't have taken her in for her eye you wouldn't have known!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Do not compare these things to human medical issues or worry too much. All will be well. No dog is perfect, no matter how great their breeder is. There are no guarantees in life. We just do the best we can with what we are given.

Slightly off topic: If anyone is worried about their dog's weight, please take Dr. Becker's advice and cut the carbs from your pet's diet and provide adequate water, even adding water to food.

If you are a skeptic, just try it for 3 weeks. I guarantee you'll see a difference.
:goodpost:

and hugs to you and dolcina, i am sure she will do fine on her medications and in your loving care. :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the :heart: love and support you are showing me:crying:

:tender:Dolcina is so lovable, I melt when I hug her. She may end up healing ME with all that is going on:aktion033:

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
I know I'm not a Maltese, but I have hypothyroidism and had high triglycerides and cholesterol which can be a symptom of this condition.(at least in people) It took some time for me to get regulated, but I was amazed at how much better I feel. The pounds just fell off, and my cholesterol went down, too. I take one little white pill every day. Your baby will be just fine, I'll bet.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts

Is there a website for Dr. Becker and her recommendations? I'm very interested for Sophie.

Thanks!

Linda

1 - 20 of 25 Posts