Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and my parents are at a holiday party tonight - I still feel as though I need to watch Lucy closely, at least for another week (plus, to be honest - I’m tired, and I have that brunch tomorrow).

I just took Lucy out - she was going nearly mad in my arms, to get down - I, of course, waited until we get to the pen (I don’t allow her in the fenced-in area after dark, I use a Midwest pen after dark - too many wild animals in my area).

There were six deer in the back yard and crazy Lupa wanted to - get to them - holy cow, a Malt - not being afraid of such large animals. I was shocked by her behavior and trying to jump out of my arms - actually fighting to get down.

She is much, much stronger than I realized - had I not been carrying her securely and/or looking at the beautiful , bright sky tonight - she would have been able to jump out of my arms. I believe that she would have chased those deer, had she got free from my arms.

I will never take her out again without a harness and leash at night - carrying her or not -

What a lesson.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Allie - you're so right. I had an incident before you came to SM where my Dh was holding Tyler in his arms on the couch and Tyler literally leapt out of his arms in a flash. He then fell "kind of funny" as Jim put it and scared the heck out of us as he was limping. I was in CA on a shoot and was dealing with it from 3000 miles away. They are very strong and very fast. That's why I don't like other people picking up or holding Tyler. Happy Lucy didn't get away from you especially post surgery.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Allie, you've got that right! When they get their mind on something it's hard to hold them back!!:w00t: Ava can go up stairs but cannot come down...so every morning while carrying her down the steps...she's wiggling wildly the whole time in anticipation of getting to the bottom!! I need to hold her with two hands!!!!!!!! .....that means no hand left to hold the railing :unsure:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting Pat - Lucy will (pre surgery) go up the stairs, as quiet as a mouse -but she’s apprehensive about coming down the stairs.

Lucy does the same thing as Ava. At about, half way down the stairs, it's a battle until we reach the bottom, especially if Barron is waiting for her.

Barron won't go up or down (which I love)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am glad you were able to hang onto Lucy! I can totally see her trying to chase deer! Triniti thinks he's the bad boy of the neighborhood and even bosses my 70 lb golden retriever around!

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Can I totally relate!?!?! Annie is only five pounds, but if I'm holding her and something gets her attention and she wants down it's like holding onto five struggling monkeys at once. She has no concept of how high she is - she would jump off anything without thinking about it. I always make sure at least one hand is holding on to a leg.

So happy Lucy is feeling better.

Linda

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Can I totally relate!?!?! Annie is only five pounds, but if I'm holding her and something gets her attention and she wants down it's like holding onto five struggling monkeys at once. She has no concept of how high she is - she would jump off anything without thinking about it. I always make sure at least one hand is holding on to a leg.

So happy Lucy is feeling better.

Linda
Oh Linda - this line just cracked me up. I keep picturing a Malt popsicle--you've got the one leg and Annie's straight up in the air...or did you ever see people at a turkey farm carry poultry by the legs and claws? I could picture poor little Annie going, "What did I do to get this way?" :blink: I think there must have been something in my orange juice this morning. You must all think i'm nuts. :blush:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Allie - so glad that you had a good hold on Lucy-Lu. And yes, when they are being carried -- but decide they want down for whatever reason -- they're very hard to contain. :)

I've had Lacie almost break her neck on my tile from something like this. I swear I'll NEVER carry any of them 1 handed (1 armed) again.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
They are strong, Matilda would love to chase deer, rabbits, Cats:w00t: I always hold her with both hands she wouldn't think twice about jumping out of my arms:w00t:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
So glad she is feeling well enough to protect her yard from those mean ole deers!!! She sounds like she's doing remarkably well!!! YEAH!!!

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
You are so right! They are so much stronger than we think!

Milo's best friend is a papillon called Luna and whenever he see's her - he goes crazy trying to get down from my arms - its very hard to stop him from getting free and jumping! and Milo's a fairly small boy - only 5.5lbs.

She does the same thing to get to him lol

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I think I posted this long ago, but it serves repeating for new malt owners, or any small dog owner. I learned it from a show breeder. When carrying them I always put the main part of the dog under my arm and then wrap my hand around the outer front leg firmly. This instills in them a sense of containment (in most cases) and makes them less wiggly. It also gives you an extra hand, in case, or to hold onto a rail on stairs. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts