Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, we're officially members now. Out east over the weekend, and, having fun. The girls run around, rolling and prancing about in grass. I always examine them before we come back into the house. Always. I'm afraid of fleas more than anything.

We left to go back to the city after the Jet game, which was to me, like watching a super bowl game!! Steve told me he's letting the girls run around to pee before we leave. This time I did not check the girls!!! There goes the "always". My Darla had a tick embedded in her on the top of her back, right at her part. I never saw one, yet I knew what it was. The f'ing thing was alive. I doused it with alcohol and removed it. This was yesterday morning. Not knowing if I got the whole thing we went to my Vet, whom looked at Darla immediately. God, I love him. He checked her with a magnified microscope. It was out.

My baby midge Darla was a trooper, and, not such a big shot without her sisters. LOL Dr. gave me an ointment to put on the area.

I realize it hasn't been cold enough outside. My question is: do these bastards ever die off? Do my girls have to be on Frontline forever? Our property has been treated, though I'm not sure what the protocol is for treating lawns. I will find out from the lawn guy.

I'm freaking out, to say the least.
xoxoxooxoxoxoxoxo

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Kerry - I wouldn't be worried! Hunter has been on frontline since March of this year and if we don't get two days of deep freeze then he will be getting yet another dose. Ticks are nasty little creatures and I am NOT a fan of them! Typically frontline is only needed for 6 or 7 months but this year with the early spring and this late winter its ridiculous!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, Erin. I know you're an expert when it comes to these creepy things because of where you live.
xoxoxoxooxoxoxo

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Yech -- hate ticks!! Kerry, were they regular ticks (larger) or the tiny ones? Just worrying about lyme. What did the vet say about that? Hoping Darla's fine. I never know what to say about treating lawns. Don't want them toxic to our fluffs so not sure if it's a good idea or not.

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yech -- hate ticks!! Kerry, were they regular ticks (larger) or the tiny ones? Just worrying about lyme. What did the vet say about that? Hoping Darla's fine. I never know what to say about treating lawns. Don't want them toxic to our fluffs so not sure if it's a good idea or not.
Sue, it was teeny tiny. Yes, I asked about lyme and my Dr. said to wait a month for the test. Even if my baby tested positive, Dr assured me she will be treated and fine. I'm having all 3 tested to be sure.

I know, the lawn guy swears what he uses is not toxic to my girls. He treated the lawn when we first moved in July. I must find out more information and then do my own research. With summer over, I thought we were lucky.
Thanks for asking about Darla and responding.
xoxoxoxoooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

·
Registered
305 Posts
We're lucky to have white malts. Ticks are easy to see! I've made this decision to keep Mika on frontline all year, we've had such a crazy flea season this year.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I haven't put any flea or tick stuff on my kids this year at all...and luckily we haven't joined the tick (or flea) club yet :chili:

:unsure:...ut oh....I better go find some wood to "knock on" now that I said that out loud!!!....:w00t:

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Kerry,

I hate ticks and luckily we've only had to deal with a few on the pups over the years. I was bitten by a deer tick (ewwwwww!) about 4 years ago and had the bullseye rash, etc. I had to be on antibiotics for a long time... months.... but I'm fine now.

We have a lawn service that puts chemicals on our lawn, too. They assured me that the chemicals are safe for the boys, but I still don't trust them. I keep the babies off of the lawn for at least 24 hours after treatment and pray for rain to water the chemicals in. (And then I stress over any excess lawn chemicals going into the storm sewers and into the pond in town. :angry: If Steve didn't insist on these lawn guys... they would be history.)

Years ago we had a little girl furbaby who was so allergic to flea bites that she would scratch her fur off if even one flea jumped on her. So one year we had the back yard treated for fleas and ticks. They came with this huge high-pressure fire hose and sprayed the trees, the pool, the house .... needless to say, that was the last time we ever did that!

I hope that all of your babies (and you and Steve, too) are well! I think that blood tests for the girls in a month are a very good idea.... keep us posted.

Hugs to all of you,
Debbie

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I realize it hasn't been cold enough outside. My question is: do these bastards ever die off? Do my girls have to be on Frontline forever?
Sorry to hear about the tick, Kerry. No, unfortunately they NEVER die off out east. There are too many ticks and deer out there. You can spray your lawn- I don't know that it's 100%. Unfortunately I cannot spray because my kitty loves to eat grass. So I don't let Cas or Bijou on grass ever. They walk on the beach all the time, and there aren't ever ticks there...at least from East to Southampton along the oceanside. I can't vouch for the bay side. Be very careful. The locals have told me that something like 93% of people on Shelter Island have Lyme Disease :w00t:There are proposals to provide deer feeding stations with tickicide-treated rollers, but for some reason I do not think it will pass on Long Island.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I've only found a couple of ticks over the years on my girls but I'm always looking for them to make sure. We've had a few fleas here and there but that's always been when I've had them out and about. We've been lucky. I hope this is your last tick and you're as lucky with it as we've been. Treating the yard is such a catch 22. I always worry so much if its been treated and if its not. :blink: Since I've been going out of town for the winter my neighbor comes over and treats the yard several times while I'm gone and again before I come home. This has worked really well because the girls aren't around for awhile after the treatments but its working with all those nasty little bugs. I hope you figure out something too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
hehe

OH we're members of this club.

We stopped using any frontline or advantix type meds on Tashie in late June of this year. We check her and ourselves whenever we come in from a hike. A couple of weeks ago we started a hike then quickly aborted, the tally was:

Jim - 1 tick on back leg, 1 on sleeve and 1 partly embedded in wrist
Rose - 3 ticks on jeans, 1 on shirt
Tashie - 2 ticks on left ear and headed for the inside (she was in a backpack on my back, not walking)

So in a brief 30 minutes or so we had 9 ticks on us, aborted the hike and went home to make sure we didn't miss any. They are really trying to find a host for winter. I hate em......

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Kerry, all I can say is >>> EWWWW! Sorry you had to deal with that little critter (and I don't mean dogs).

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much for posting, ladies. It means the world to me.

Rose,
You poor thing. That's horrible for all of you.

Sophia,
Thanks sweetie. Yes, the amount of deer scares me. A family of them running across the road, all different times of the day. I worry about them!!! Thanks for your info.
xoxoxoxooxoxox

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Treating the yard is almost useless Kerry! We had our yard treated but were told by all three companies that we were wasting our money and possibly creating a toxie problem for our Hunter if he was ever so inclined to take nibbles when we weren't looking. We do treat the borders of our yard (we have a lot of scrub brush on all 4 sides of us) every other year. Frontline is the way to go. He didn't get the Lyme Booster this year but he will get it next year we have decided.

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
Poor Darla! We've been very lucky in our 'neck of the woods'. I hope everything is ok, Ker.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Kerry we live in "tick-haven" here, though have to say we haven't had a big a problem this year as other years. Maybe due to the dry summer. Ticks LOVE to 'burrow in the mulch or even small clumps of leaves.
Article in the paper said ticks WILL be big problem due to the prolific amount of acorns this year. Abundant acorns mean abundant mice ( eeek eeek eek!!!!) and other wildlife. Here it's not just deer 'transporting' them into the yards... mice, rabbits etc. do as well. Couple of years ago saw a rabbit one evening just COVERED in ticks poor thing it was awful!
We've even had them show themselves mid winter if there's a January 'thaw' .

Normally, if you get them off right away, the lyme disease isn't a big threat. I've meant to ask the vet if that holds true for the ehrlichosis ( sp?) as well. We've had a lot of that tick-disease here too. I've pulled many ticks off myself over the years we've lived here ... (hmmmm maybe "I" should start applying Frontline LOL) I had test done a few times if I felt 'off" and wanted to be sure... so far so good... no Lyme. I'm shocked but grateful because it is a big time problem here. Weird because I know some who hardly spend any time outside ( I'm in the dirt up to my elbows from Spring on) .. they get a bite, or in a couple of cases never knew...just had symptoms, and sure enough they were infected. I've pulled at least 20 off me over the years!

I'm sure your baby will be fine... you got it off quickly and followed up. I doubt there will be any problem but goo to do the follow-up!

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks ladies.

Yes, Erin. Excellent point!! As Jane said, it's a catch 22. Frontline is looking better and better.
xoxoxooxoxoxox

Oh, I did ask my Dr if Darla would get the bullseye if she was positive. Dr said no. Only 10% of animals would get one. So, definitely doing bloodtests for my girls.

Love you all.
xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts