Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-family:Times">Peaches will be 10 months old on Oct 17, and she still hasnt started her period. Is this normal or should I be worried? </span>

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by g1enda1e@Oct 9 2005, 04:56 PM
<span style="font-family:Times">Peaches will be 10 months old on Oct 17, and she still hasnt started her period. Is this normal or should I be worried? </span>
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107918
[/QUOTE]
I have no idea, wish I could help, I really do.......but I LOVE her shoes!! She is adorable! Now, I let you get back to the topic!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by g1enda1e@Oct 9 2005, 02:56 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107918
[/QUOTE]
Summer will be 11 mos on Nov 2 and she just came out of heat. I know I should have got her fix sooner, but I was thinking I might breed her but I feel she's to small so in the morning I'm calling the vet.. for two reasons 1. to make an appt. for her spay and 2. she has 2 breast that are a little swollen and red
I don't know if this is normal or not .

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by lacey@Oct 23 2005, 11:10 AM
Daisy is 8 months old and she still hasn't started hers. I'm hoping to get her fixed in December whne I have Christmas break.</span>
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112517
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I sure hope she doesn't go in to heat before her spay appointment and good for you for getting this done. We are so fortunate that we have a way to almost positively prevent breast cancer in our babies and that is to spay before the first heat. There is still some benefit from spaying after the first heat, but the most benefit is before a heat. My first Maltese, Rosebud's, mother died of breast cancer at 6 years old.

Our babies can't tell us what to do and they rely on us to make decisions that are in their best interest, and one of those is to spay.

Here's some info below from :http://www.vospca.org/archive/spayneut.html

<span style="color:blue">In Females, spaying decreases the incidence of breast cancer (the rate goes down to almost zero if the spaying is done before the first heat cycle!). It eliminates the chance of developing a serious and potentially fatal infection of the uterus experienced by many mature unspayed animals (pyometra). Spay surgery also eliminates the heat cycle and associated mood swings and undesirable behaviors, messy spotting (in dogs) and the attraction of all available males to your yard. The simple fact is that spaying and neutering greatly increases the lifespan of your pet and increases quality of life as well!

OK. I'll get off my soapbox now!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hmm...how long does it usually take them to recover? I was only going to wait for my Christmas break because I don't want to leave her alone with stitches. I do have a couple days off around Thanksgiving. Maybe I could do it then. I would like to get it done as soon as possible. I don't want anything to happen to my baby!

Also, when is a good time to get the males fixed? I want to get Toby fixed ASAP after we get him.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by lacey@Oct 23 2005, 11:37 AM
Hmm...how long does it usually take them to recover? I was only going to wait for my Christmas break because I don't want to leave her alone with stitches. I do have a couple days off around Thanksgiving. Maybe I could do it then. I would like to get it done as soon as possible. I don't want anything to happen to my baby!

Also, when is a good time to get the males fixed? I want to get Toby fixed ASAP after we get him.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112546
[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about the females, but around the Thanksgiving break should be good if you can swing it. The sooner the better...

As far as the male...ASAP...Brinkley went around 6months, maybe a little sooner. He NEVER hiked his leg, and still never has....From what I have heard, it is better to do it before they start that marking habit.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Oct 23 2005, 11:50 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-lacey
@Oct 23 2005, 11:10 AM
Daisy is 8 months old and she still hasn't started hers. I'm hoping to get her fixed in December whne I have Christmas break.</span>

Gosh, I sure hope she doesn't go in to heat before her spay appointment and good for you for getting this done. We are so fortunate that we have a way to almost positively prevent breast cancer in our babies and that is to spay before the first heat. There is still some benefit from spaying after the first heat, but the most benefit is before a heat. My first Maltese, Rosebud's, mother died of breast cancer at 6 years old.

Our babies can't tell us what to do and they rely on us to make decisions that are in their best interest, and one of those is to spay.

<span style="color:blue">In Females, spaying decreases the incidence of breast cancer (the rate goes down to almost zero if the spaying is done before the first heat cycle!). It eliminates the chance of developing a serious and potentially fatal infection of the uterus experienced by many mature unspayed animals (pyometra). Spay surgery also eliminates the heat cycle and associated mood swings and undesirable behaviors, messy spotting (in dogs) and the attraction of all available males to your yard. The simple fact is that spaying and neutering greatly increases the lifespan of your pet and increases quality of life as well!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112527
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry about Rosebud

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by lacey@Oct 23 2005, 12:37 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112546
[/QUOTE]

I suggest T-giving also. If you have it done on Tuesday and take Wednesday off, that'll be plenty of time for her to be in good shape before you have to go back to work. I suggest getting a couple days of pain pills for her and if your vet offers it, I'd go for the laser surgery. Kallie spent the first night at the vet's (before I knew to insist she come home). When she came home she was totally fine with no problems at all. She had laser surgery. She didn't mess with her stitches at all.

When Catcher was neutered, he had laser surgery and my vet sent two-days worth of Buprenex pain meds home in dosed syringes. He acted totally normal, even the first evening.

However, Catcher would not leave the stitches alone. He was obssessed with them! So, my vet provided the BiteNot collar, which was a lifesaver for me!! I left him in that while I was at work and there were no problems. If you haven't seen it yet here on SM (I post about it a lot!!) here is the link to the site and places to get it. I bought one, so I'd have it for any future problems. You'll probably need the small cat-size collar. It's in the $20 price range. Catcher didn't mind it at all. It is an amazing product and IMHO much more humane than that horrible E-collar.

Keep us posted!!
Bite Not Web Site

Catcher in His BiteNot Collar:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I suggest T-giving also. If you have it done on Tuesday and take Wednesday off, that'll be plenty of time for her to be in good shape before you have to go back to work. I suggest getting a couple days of pain pills for her and if your vet offers it, I'd go for the laser surgery. Kallie spent the first night at the vet's (before I knew to insist she come home). When she came home she was totally fine with no problems at all. She had laser surgery. She didn't mess with her stitches at all.

When Catcher was neutered, he had laser surgery and my vet sent two-days worth of Buprenex pain meds home in dosed syringes. He acted totally normal, even the first evening.

However, Catcher would not leave the stitches alone. He was obssessed with them! So, my vet provided the BiteNot collar, which was a lifesaver for me!! I left him in that while I was at work and there were no problems. If you haven't seen it yet here on SM (I post about it a lot!!) here is the link to the site and places to get it. I bought one, so I'd have it for any future problems. You'll probably need the small cat-size collar. It's in the $20 price range. Catcher didn't mind it at all. It is an amazing product and IMHO much more humane than that horrible E-collar.

Keep us posted!!
Bite Not Web Site

Catcher in His BiteNot Collar:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112555
[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! I'm actually in nursing school right now. But if need be I could have my mom watch her until I get home or Josh gets home from work. I think I will call this week and see when I can get her in just to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Oct 23 2005, 12:41 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 23 2005, 11:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-lacey

[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112550
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, AJ. To clarify, it was Rosebud's mother, Muffy, who died of breast cancer at six. Luckily, Rosebud was spayed at 6 months and lived until 12-1/2 when she was euthanized due to congestive heart failure.

I'm glad I knew what her mother died of, though. What about those who buy from pet stores, etc. and have no contact with the breeder to know what diseases are in the family tree. Who knows how many people don't get their babies spayed and yet they have mothers who have contracted breast cancer. If they knew that, they would surely have their babies spayed.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Oct 23 2005, 12:58 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 23 2005, 11:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-lacey

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112550
Thanks, AJ. To clarify, it was Rosebud's mother, Muffy, who died of breast cancer at six. Luckily, Rosebud was spayed at 6 months and lived until 12-1/2 when she was euthanized due to congestive heart failure.

I'm glad I knew what her mother died of, though. What about those who buy from pet stores, etc. and have no contact with the breeder to know what diseases are in the family tree. Who knows how many people don't get their babies spayed and yet they have mothers who have contracted breast cancer. If they knew that, they would surely have their babies spayed.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112561
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry, I did not see that part. Glad she lived a longer life than 6 years, and I'm sure she was very happy, its just so hard to imagine that time coming for our malts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts