Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some pictures of maltese with the rubbers bands in their hair around their mouth and on top of the head in bunches. Why do they do that?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I think the ones around their face/mouth are to keep the hair clean and dry when they are in long coats...but just my thinking...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 27 2005, 08:33 AM
Are you taking about this?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57154
[/QUOTE]

No, I think that is called crackering? It is suppose to make the hair grow longer. JMM has a website for her maltese at www.jamimaltese.com and shows the maltese named Mickey with pictures of rubber bands on top of his head and around the mouth. I don't know who to post a picture yet in the body of this reply, so I can't show you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's actually called wrapping, not crackering. The rubber bands are just one way to keep the hair out of the dog's eyes and to make sure that his beard hair does not get dirty and/or accidentally chewed on. It doesn't make the hair grow longer, it helps to keep the hair up and out of the way so it doesn't break.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Banding the face hair does two things:

1. Keeps it out of stuff.

2. Keeps it from breaking off.

Jonathan likes to rip at Mikey's face hair, so I often keep Mikey's face banded.

Multiple bands in the top knot is just practicality. When it gets to a certain length, you need to band multiple sections to hold it all back.

Wrapping, if the dog leaves them in and it is done right, encourages coat growth because it saves the ends of the coat. Many dogs like it and don't mind it at all as it is sort of like a puppy cut without the clipping. For many show dogs who damage their hair running around, wrapping protects it.

Lemme get a picture of M partially wrapped...

Back half of him wrapped from a few years ago.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 27 2005, 10:42 AM
Banding the face hair does two things:

1. Keeps it out of stuff.

2. Keeps it from breaking off.

Jonathan likes to rip at Mikey's face hair, so I often keep Mikey's face banded.

Multiple bands in the top knot is just practicality. When it gets to a certain length, you need to band multiple sections to hold it all back.

Wrapping, if the dog leaves them in and it is done right, encourages coat growth because it saves the ends of the coat. Many dogs like it and don't mind it at all as it is sort of like a puppy cut without the clipping. For many show dogs who damage their hair running around, wrapping protects it.

Lemme get a picture of M partially wrapped...

Back half of him wrapped from a few years ago.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57201
[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the information. This is very interesting to me.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Jackie, I think she wanted to see a picture of Mikey's face with the rubber bands on it. I know I have seen that one somewhere. Can you post that one? I think he might have had a french braid for a top knot too but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
608 Posts
JMM what is your suggestion for lip hair? I don't know what else to call it its right above his top lip and it gets stuck on his tongue when he gives kisses. Tunder is constantly licking and when his tongue is out you see it flat on his tongue.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I change all bands and redo the top knot daily when I brush. They stay in all night.

I use small scissors and cut that bit of hair off. Mikey gets some that comes over his nose similarly and I cut that, too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 28 2005, 05:28 PM
I change all bands and redo the top knot daily when I brush. They stay in all night.

I use small scissors and cut that bit of hair off. Mikey gets some that comes over his nose similarly and I cut that, too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57756
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for adding the info about how often you remove the rubber bands. I was just about to ask that when I read your post.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much for all the information. Yes was wondering about banding the top knot and the mouth hairs, and how often it is to be done. I've always cut the hairs around Tobi's face, but now want it to grow. The hair on his head is long, but I want to let his face hair grow so that I can incorporate it with his head hair to start make top knots.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts