Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story was in my newspaper this morning.... So here I am boo hooing in my breakfast! It has a happy ending... enjoy!

Lost and Found

Lucy hated thunderstorms.

Tony Perry knew that about his dog. So when the skies darkened late one Tuesday afternoon in spring 2004, Perry left his office and rushed to his bungalow.

The gate was wide open. Lucy, a black Lab mix, was gone.

Perry ran to the nearby park, where Lucy loved to chase squirrels.

No luck.

He ran to North Elm Street.

No Lucy.

She was gone. For more than a year.

•••

Lucy was a rescue dog. Perry's sister-in-law in California had adopted her, but the sister-in-law's fiance' thought Lucy, who was about 3 years old, was too hyper.

So in 2001, Perry offered to take her. He needed Lucy as much as she needed him. He and his wife had just separated.

Lucy was skittish in her new home at first. Perry soothed her with walks in the park.

Soon, when he said "squirrel" or "walk," she grabbed her leash.

When he watched TV, she laid on his feet.

When he slept in on weekends, she waited quietly until he stirred.

He called her "baby" and learned her habits. How she stopped at corners before she crossed streets.

How her favorite look-out spot was the front porch, where she waited for the neighbors' dachshunds to come over and play.

How she ran behind the couch to hide during thunderstorms -- when he was home.

And how, if he wasn't home, she ran out the doggy door and hunkered in the bushes out back.

That's where he expected to find her that Tuesday afternoon. Then he saw the open gate, which a neighbor probably had left ajar after using Perry's water hose.

Most likely, the wind had blown the gate open wider, and Lucy had done what she always did when the sky boomed.

She ran.

•••

The first calls came after Perry and his friends had plastered hundreds of "reward" flyers all over town.

Usually, the callers said they'd seen a dog that looked like Lucy: smallish and black with a white streak on her chest and white whiskers on her chin.

Perry would dash to where she'd been spotted, but he was always too late. He posted more fliers, took out more newspaper ads.

He knew two things from the phone calls: Lucy had slipped the red leather collar with her ID tags -- and she was on the move.

When a woman about 20 miles away called to say that two neighbor girls had been playing with a dog that fit Lucy's description, Perry went to the girls' doorstep.

They said they had played with the dog. She was so sweet. They'd let her go because their mother said she needed to find her way home.

The calls stopped after three months.

In his head, Perry, a psychology professor, gave up. He went to the animal shelter and got another dog.

But in his heart, he clung to hope as big as a grain of rice.

That was the size of an ID microchip that a vet had implanted between Lucy's shoulders when she came to live with him.

It wasn't much. But it was something.

•••

It's August 2005.

Lucy has been gone almost 1-1/2 years.

Jennifer Hart, president of the Animal Rescue & Foster Program, is driving down the street.

She sees a small black dog. She stops and picks up the dog, who looks well-fed but is covered with fleas and ticks.

Hart takes her home, bathes her, immunizes her and scans her for an ID chip, just in case.

Perry's information pops up.

"I have your dog," Hart tells Perry on the phone.

Perry thinks she means his new dog.

"No," she says. "I mean Lucy."

•••

Hart pulls to the curb in front of Perry's house. She gets out with Lucy on a leash.

Perry stands on the porch. "You can drop her leash," he says.

Lucy bounds up the steps and into Perry's arms.

She whimpers with joy.

She licks his face.

She rolls over for tummy pats.

Lucy -- who has covered who-knows-how-many miles and met unknown numbers of strangers -- is home.

Perry's neighbor, Robin Lund, cries and calls it a miracle.

Perry is not a religious man. Usually, he would dismiss a comment like that.

But not this time. "It is a miracle," he says.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Aww...thats really great....a great story.....

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Great story...gotta go get a tissue now!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
after this hurricane, it has emphasized the importance of microchips. many more animals would beable to find their owners. most horses are chipped so they have contacted those owners...i just feel for the ones that are homeless

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't understand why everyone doesn't microchip. It doesn't cause any side effects and may be very useful if a pet is lost. Of course if I found a cute little dog like Miko, I would have a hard time bringing him to the shelter to be scanned
!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I know this is gonna get everyone worked up and I am ashamed to admit this but... kodie is not microchipped.

I do believe it is VERY important too...

at the time kodie was neutered and had his teeth pulled they didnt even offer this process... i'm thinking that they didnt because of all his issues... and they were more worried about kodie's health about of his liver issues and such. Maybe i'm just making excuses up... -_- Dont they have to to sediate the pup for microchipping? If thats the case I guess i'll have to wait until kodie gets his teeth cleaned which could be a few years from now..
The head surgen i deal with at this special hospital said he doesnt want to sediate kodie again unless its REALLY REALLY necessary... i dunno if some of you remember back when Kodie was neutered... he had a slight infection or something weird was happening with his incision.. it wasnt healing right... well.. when the surgen looked at it he said kodie has very thin skin and its going to take close to 8 months or more to heal and the only other option would be to remove the sutures and use something else since they were not desolving. He advised against this because that would mean knocking kodie out again... he stressed to me that kodie is just too tiny to keep doing that.

I dont want to sound like a hypocrite when I post that I believe microchipping is so important but i dont even have my own dog done...
I just want everyone to know my situation and looking back I should have said something to the surgen about doing it...but so many other things were going on... i totally forgot.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gee, Kodie, don't feel bad.... Kallie isn't microchipped either!
When she was spayed, no one mentioned it to me. She's due for her annual check up and I'm going to have it done then. There are some threads on here about it and apparently the needle is quite large but there are differing opinions on how painful it is and if any sedating is needed.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have two friends that have had their dogs microchipped. None of the were asleep when it was done. My one friend has 2 dogs (a medium size one and a Chihuahua). They were fine, no pain. My other friend has a maltese and her dog did cry when it was done. I'm sure if you have it done in a vet's office you can ask for them to use a local so it is painless.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Sep 20 2005, 10:00 AM
Gee, Kodie, don't feel bad.... Kallie isn't microchipped either! 
When she was spayed, no one mentioned it to me. She's due for her annual check up and I'm going to have it done then.  There are some threads on here about it and apparently the needle is quite large but there are differing opinions on how painful it is and if any sedating is needed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101376
[/QUOTE]
well.. kodie is all bones... i'm thinking that might cause a lot of pain for him...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had Kallie microchipped today. It didn't seem to bother her one bit. The vet took her back for a couple minutes and when he brought her back to the exam room she seemed perfectly fine. He ran the scanner over her to show me how it works... it's really a very neat invention. All the lost pets during the hurricane made me get off my duff and get it done... in case something happened and she got lost at least I'd have the knowledge that she could get brought back to me. I hope nothing like that ever happens but it does feel really good knowing that she and Catcher are "chipped".

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Scrappy@Sep 23 2005, 05:47 PM
That is wonderful.  Scrappy was microchipped on his first vets visit at 16 weeks.  I held him while it was done.  He whimpered a little bit and once it was over he was fine.  The little bit of pain is worth the peace of mind it brings.

By the way K/C's mom my DH was looking at Scrappy's birthday thread and fell in love with Kallie he just loved her expression in your siggy 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102684
[/QUOTE]

Awww, how nice of you to say.

I'll be sure to tell Kallie!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts