Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it Summer's stain are back really bad... still using the angel glow. She was spay 2 weeks ago, wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Oh! the only thing I did was start feeding her the adult Innova dry food
she was eating the puppy food... Could this be the problem??

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Could Summer be teething still?

I know how frustrating it is to see your white-face dog suddenly be stained again. I go through bouts of this with Pico from time to time and I've come to believe staining is the same symptom of what can be different problems.

Pico tears from time to time which keeps the area wet and breeds a red, crusty fungus infection. I've started checking the eye area a couple of times a day (just run my thumbs down the area near his inner eye and down the side of his muzzle) and if it is wet I put a couple drops of Bausch & Lomb Opcon-A, an allergy eye drop, in each eye. If it is wet or damp again before bedtime, I will put another drop in each eye. I don't have to do this every day so it is a workable solution and keeps the fungus at bay.

But even though I keep that area dry, any tearing leaves a cumulative red stain on the hair in that region so that, until he goes to the groomers to get it cut out, he has a reddish stain to the fur itself. I wash the area every evening and dry it well but I guess we'll just have to live with a certain amount of staining.

I used to put cornstarch on the area (using a q-tip to dip into the cornstarch and apply to the area) and I think I'll go back to doing that, too. Maybe the cornstarch will absorb the tears and prevent any staining.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
It is probably the stress from the spay surgery. Eventhough it has been two weeks your baby is probably still not feeling herself. I would not get too upset about this. As she progressively feels better the staining will come back under control.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I experianced the same thing when chelsey got spayed... He had the worste tear stains... he has some before but thing that bad... her face was jsut running pink red.. not rusty red. I had also changed her food that time too... so I was not sure if it was the spay or food. It all started after her spay. here is a picture

before the spay

After the spay

Major difference.
It took a long time for them to go away... she still gets more then before but at least now I can just wipe them clean again.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles tear stains come and go. For 3 months he had no stains and his eyes were dry. All of a sudden the face stayed wet and in 4 days, he was a mess. Even washing his face didn't help at all. Now its starting to calm back down, don't know if the allergy shot he got 2 weeks ago helped or not.

My vet's office said to clean the area with Listerine, it would kill the fungus and his face would grow out all white. I put some on a cotton ball and held it to my nose, I just couldn't rub this around his eye and nose it's to strong!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Nichole@Nov 10 2005, 11:23 PM
Have you tried contacting Angel's Glow?  Maybe they have heard of this.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118827
[/QUOTE]
No I didn't think about that . I have to admit I only use 1/2 of what they call for on the bottle. But after reading everyones post I think I lean more to the spay theory. plus she hasn't been groomed in 2 weeks I groom her 1's a week ,She goes today so will see what happens.. I 've been wiping her eyes with a tissue as much as possible. And she's beautiful to me no matter what
I just couldn't figure out why all of a sudden they where back, after being gone so long

thanks for all the input everyone makes perfect sence
oops! sorry I don't know how to change the size, this is before her spay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts