Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in Bone China, that makes it taste so *right*

Mary H inspired me to make myself a pot of tea. But, to indulge myself and drink it from - fine, bone china. Many of the tea cups have an opulence to them.

I'm going through my great aunts things - which is so much fun! Some of the stuff - is just delightful. What I thought would be a daunting task, has turned into an adventure - partly, thanks to my friend, Mary H.

Here is a sample, of the I swear, at least one hundred tea cups that I have unpacked - and repacked - that she had - she would always serve tea with Bonbons! I added some of the dishes that she would serve the bonbons on - they say handpainted on the back.

Here's a sample of the many bonbon spoons and sugar spoons - I haven't cleaned them :w00t: I could never keep such a collection.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Allie - that really harkens back to such a gentler time. I love it. :thumbsup:You've inspired me to look for my mom's cups and saucers but not sure I have any left. Trying to remember where they are. I do have her beautiful dishes displayed in my breakfront though. She had a thing for sets of beautiful dishes and bought them at shops and auctions.

·
Premium Member
17,455 Posts
Oh Allie, they are beautiful! And the servers---they are elegant! I can't just see your aunt sitting in her parlor---serving them up in "Sense & Sensibility!"
Do you use brown rock sugar w/your tea? I keep a small sugar bowl w/this candy sugar for tea---although I can't have it myself!

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
I have 4 tea sets, I love them mine are bone china also. I plan on having a tea party with my 9 year old granddaughter when I get back home.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
"Caring for Antique China Tea Cups

You will probably want to use your tea cups as well as display them. This doesn't pose a problem as long as you follow a few simple rules.
  • If [COLOR=#0000cc! important][COLOR=#0000cc! important]lemon[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    or other acidic liquid has been added to the cup rinse it immediately. The acids will damage the glaze over time.
  • Don't leave your antique china cups to soak. This may compromise the glaze and cause problems.
  • Keep a folded tea towel in the bottom of the sink when washing and rinsing to guard against chips and breakage.
  • Wash with mild soap never a detergent.
  • Allow to air dry if possible.
  • Never put your antique china in the dishwasher.
  • Store away from direct sunlight.
Treat your antique china tea cups gently and they will last for many generations of tea parties. "

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allie - that really harkens back to such a gentler time. I love it. :thumbsup:You've inspired me to look for my mom's cups and saucers but not sure I have any left. Trying to remember where they are. I do have her beautiful dishes displayed in my breakfront though. She had a thing for sets of beautiful dishes and bought them at shops and auctions.
If you don't find them, for G-d sakes, don't buy any!

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh Allie, they are beautiful! And the servers---they are elegant! I can't just see your aunt sitting in her parlor---serving them up in "Sense & Sensibility!"
Do you use brown rock sugar w/your tea? I keep a small sugar bowl w/this candy sugar for tea---although I can't have it myself!
Sandi,

Yes, this is the aunt with the scary house (it was very large) and very scary to me!

She did have some lovely things - she would entertain, large crowds of people her entire life -

I should have spent more time with her - she was very bright and very, very proper. :huh: Unlike me!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I have only 3 bone china tea cups left to me from my grandmother. I love them dearly and use them from time to time. None of them match, and are very similar to the ones you showed in the pics Allie, so I wonder if that had been the style back then? Sadly, I have no bone china teapot but am inspired now to keep my eyes open when at antique stores.

Is anyone else enjoying a cup of tea?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I grew up in Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire. Home of Royal Doulton, Wedgewood, etc etc. I don't own too much now, I have a beautiful Florentine Turquoise wedgewood set that I got from my MIL and also some very old blue and white handed down. Growing up there though caused me when married to go for Rosenthal because it was different ;)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Oh my Allie! They are gorgeous! What treasures you have! I am glad you are going through all of her things with a sense of adventure instead of dread...that makes it so much fun. I can't wait to see more of her treasures!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
in Bone China, that makes it taste so *right*

Mary H inspired me to make myself a pot of tea. But, to indulge myself and drink it from - fine, bone china. Many of the tea cups have an opulence to them.

I'm going through my great aunts things - which is so much fun! Some of the stuff - is just delightful. What I thought would be a daunting task, has turned into an adventure - partly, thanks to my friend, Mary H.

Here is a sample, of the I swear, at least one hundred tea cups that I have unpacked - and repacked - that she had - she would always serve tea with Bonbons! I added some of the dishes that she would serve the bonbons on - they say handpainted on the back.

Here's a sample of the many bonbon spoons and sugar spoons - I haven't cleaned them :w00t: I could never keep such a collection.

These are very pretty and are very similiar to the ones I collect. A couple of tidbits: The ones with the pearlized glaze were always made in Japan. Also, around here, the footed ones are a little more expensive than the flat-bottomed ones.

Joy

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Allie - when I first say this thread all I could see were the cups and the silver pieces. Now I'm looking at those plates and my mom left me some very similar to them. i have to take a photo -- if I could just find my camera after VT.:smilie_tischkante:

·
Premium Member
17,455 Posts
I JUST FIGURED IT OUT . . . . .the reason we all like BONE china is because we are part dog!-----the best part of us at least.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I JUST FIGURED IT OUT . . . . .the reason we all like BONE china is because we are part dog!-----the best part of us at least.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:
I think that you're right!

I told you that my aunt house was scaryyyyy -

Well, one time I got brave enough to tell one of the woman that worked for my aunt - that I didn't care so much to be so far away from everyone else (meaning her room, which was on the third floor) - she looked at me and said "I don't understand why you object to that lovely room - that is a perfectly fine HORSE HAIR mattress in there:w00t: - I NEVER returned to spend the night again!

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Allie - when I first say this thread all I could see were the cups and the silver pieces. Now I'm looking at those plates and my mom left me some very similar to them. i have to take a photo -- if I could just find my camera after VT.:smilie_tischkante:
I added those dishes Sue -

A lot of that stuff went to Goodwill on Sat - you can only keep so much.

I told you, 80 lbs of linens!

Like Maureen said, nice, but not my style.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Allie!!!!! I have some of those very same tea cups!!!!!! I've always loved them....funny though, I'm not really a tea drinker. I'll have to take a picture of some of my cups....you need to keep them and display them...and we'll be twins!!! :aktion033:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Love tea and truly enjoy having it in bone china although I mostly enjoy it in ceramic mugs. My grandmother left me a beautiful bone china teapot, sugar bowl and creamer and 2 matching teacups. I seldom get them out to enjoy them, but will have to make time to do so.

As Sue said in another post, tea is my coffee. I hardly ever drink coffee, but I drink all kinds of wonderful teas. It's good that I enjoy tea because I'm drinking a lot of herbal tea this week. :)

Allie -- this collection of items is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

And yes, I do think that I would have liked living in a slower, gentler time. :)

(BTW -- I love the new siggy pic of Barron.)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts