Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ThAt if a dog is to be punished it must be done within an immediate time frame For it to be effective. The theory is that dogs have short term memories. If this is true then how do they have such long memories about the vets office or that they hate the baths etc.....it makes no sense?...can someone with more dog experience explain?

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I agree. I wished I understood more how dogs "think." I would like to know how they perceive time. Sometimes I am gone for 5 minutes and they act like I was gone for 5 hours.

And also if they only have short term memory, how come when I hide a treat somewhere and then secretly take it away, they will look for the treat in the old spot for hours??

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
soo true . would love to hear responses of someone that knows , our fluffs are soo smart.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
I don't know about the memory thing, I do think they know more then we give them credit for. I do know they love unconditional:wub: maybe they can teach us a few things.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
I think dogs are smarter than we give them credit for. They don't think like humans. Someone posted a good post on this topic. It was really good.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't think it is a short memory problem. You have to punish them on the spot not because of remembering but because they have to associate what they did with the punishment. If you punish them later, they don't know why you punish them and will associate the punishment to the thing they are doing when you do.
Dogs are smarter than some people want to admit. They remember very well some stuff.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm not sure if its so much short term memory...just they have no idea of time frames. Like imagine yourself, we are so dependent on clocks and stuff. We'd be totally lost and clueless as to what time it was without looking at a clock. And I know myself like when I'm at work time just drags on and on and on. But if you are doing something really fun, it feels like time flies...ya know?
Sometimes I'll be at work, and be like OMG it's only 10am!!! Or something like that. Like I had no clue how much time passed since the last time I looked at the clock.

So maybe thats why like, WE know we were only gone 5 minutes or something. But they just know we were GONE, and now we are BACK!!!!

And as for rewarding them and punishing them right away, I just feel like that makes it easier for them to understand what they are doing that is right or wrong. And they definitely learn repititions and routines!! The second I walk down the steps with my shoes on, Nelson is under the couch...because he knows I am going out, and he is getting locked up. So they definitely remember and learn stuff, long term.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I agree Amanda that makes total sense. I have heard that dogs have only 2 seconds of real time memory (from my Petsmart puppy class instructor!) But I agree with you that that figure has to do with the length of time that your punishment or reward for that behavior would be effective.

·
Registered
80 Posts
OK, so why does Myah not remember where her pee pad is but when she is hungry or thirsty she know where the food and water are. BTW pee pad and food in the same room. Interesting how they think!

Also when its time for me to go to work she gets her toys and runs from me cause she knows its time to go to her room. She remember quiet well, I think. Interesting huh?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I don't think it is a short memory problem. You have to punish them on the spot not because of remembering but because they have to associate what they did with the punishment. If you punish them later, they don't know why you punish them and will associate the punishment to the thing they are doing when you do.
Dogs are smarter than some people want to admit. They remember very well some stuff.
That explains it really well. It makes sense.

I guess it would be like if we were given a bad review from our boss at the end of the work day, but s/he didn't tell us why.
We'd be left wondering: "Is it because I made an error on a report? Or because I took his parking spot? Or because I have been taking office supplies???" :w00t:

If we didn't know why our boss was mad, we might just chalk it up to our boss being a loon. And then we would seek to overthrow the boss. As no one wants to follow the unstable.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
OK, so why does Myah not remember where her pee pad is but when she is hungry or thirsty she know where the food and water are. BTW pee pad and food in the same room. Interesting how they think!

Also when its time for me to go to work she gets her toys and runs from me cause she knows its time to go to her room. She remember quiet well, I think. Interesting huh?
Maybe because once she knows she HAS to go potty, she only has a short time to find her potty! If her bladder is totally full, and she is running around all excited, the need to pee probably sneaks up on her...and Voila! instant mess!

But when she is hungry, there is no time limit for her to find her bowl in time.

That is cute how she takes her toys and runs from you when she knows you are leaving and she has to go to her room.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I wonder if there's a good book on this topic. Dogs certainly do seem to have a long memory, and I think they have a whole doggy wisdom that we are entirely unaware of.
Gotta love 'em.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts