Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I purchased my pup from a pet store 3 weeks ago and she was 2 and a half months old. i noticed her coat was thin but decided to get her anyways....
My friend recently purchased a maltese pup herself and her pup's coat is alot thicker...
My question is, is it normal for some pups to have thinner coats than others??
Is there anything i can give her to improve her coat?

Any suggestions will help....

Thanks so much

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Puppy mill dogs often are not up to par developmentally. They did not have healthy parents and most often are not raised in good conditions. I would not be surprised that your pup's coat is not thick and health. I would make sure the vet ruled out problems like mites and ringworm as they are very common in pet store pups. Otherwise, a health diet and a few months in a good environment should see some improvement in the coat. Most pet store dogs are not going to look like the breed standard, so please don't get your hopes up for a silky show coat. Your pup will still be lovable and a great companion even if his coat is on the thin side.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 30 2005, 11:03 AM
Puppy mill dogs often are not up to par developmentally. They did not have healthy parents and most often are not raised in good conditions. I would not be surprised that your pup's coat is not thick and health. I would make sure the vet ruled out problems like mites and ringworm as they are very common in pet store pups. Otherwise, a health diet and a few months in a good environment should see some improvement in the coat. Most pet store dogs are not going to look like the breed standard, so please don't get your hopes up for a silky show coat. Your pup will still be lovable and a great companion even if his coat is on the thin side.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58359
[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:Times">Thanks for the good advice JMM. Im new to this site and have been reading through the different forums and you always seem to give helpful advice and recommendations. Thank you so much!!!!!</span>

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I just want to add that it could also be normal for a pup to have a thinner coat. Like humans, some have fine and thin hair

1 - 4 of 4 Posts