Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE kenji so much I want him to have a sibling. I really don't know how this will affect him emotionally and physically. He is a really overprotective male that is very sensitive to sound and other strangers. He will be fine with you after three meetings... he'll still bark ocassionally. But I am wondering what the overall experience is with bringing in a new member of the family.
Please keep in mind that Kenji is always with me. I work from home on my computer, and when I do need to go on location, he is with my parents. He has very limited exposure to other dogs and people. What are your experiences with a new brother or sister? It could be a bird, another dog, or a cat. Kenji adapted easily because he was born into a house with my exfiance and his 8 year old dog. I am wondering how he will take it if I bring in a lil baby malti. He has been living "alone" without Eli.. the other dog for about six months now. I left him home alone for the first time and it did not go well!!!
I don't know if this will be good or bad for him.
I love him so much. I just want to do what's best for him

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
do you know anyone that has a small dog that you could have come over and play with Kenji? That way he could get use having to having another dog in the house. You would also be able to see how he would be with sharing your attention.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
How old is Kenji now? I think most people recommend waiting until a puppy is at least a year old, and then only if he is 100% potty trained and you aren't having any other behavior issues so that he can be a good role model for a puppy. Otherwise, just like with human children, a puppy will pick up all the bad habits of the older dog. Many people recommend waiting until the older dog is closer to 2 years old.

As far as Kenji being an overprotective male who is used to your undivided attention, you might want to read Maxi's Mom's recent post about getting another one (or hopefully she will see this and respond) or even pm her. Se went back and forth for quite awhile about getting another one as she was worried how Maxi would react and it was a disaster. She had to find a new home for Jake as Maxi kept attacking him.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think it really depends on his personality and his match to a potential other.

We already knew from agility classes that Sylphide loves other dogs, and was particularly enamored of playmates her size (she's a very hyper Maltese and we were looking for a good play companion for her).

Sylphide was a year and a half when we got Shrek, and we already had two other dogs when she came into our home (an elderly girl, April, who passed away last year, and Ozzy, who is about eight or nine years old). Both Sylphide and Ozzy accepted Shrek from day one and his integration into our family was seamless.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi, I have a 21 wk old male maltese (3/05) who would bark miserably when we left the home. He is a huge maltese (8.5 lbs so far) About three weeks ago I got a female maltese (5/05) (She is 2.5 lbs at 11 weeks and seems like she will be a lot smaller than him). The first week he seemed a bit jealous sharing the attention and training sessions. He would be possessive of the toys. But it has been amazing! Instead of hearing the barking cry when we leave, he does not make a sound. Also, it seems like his tear stains have gone away. Also, in the evenings they play together in the kitchen, they share the toys and to my delight he lets her win some of the tug of war games. Having the two gives me more freedom around the house. The older one still enjoys our daily a.m. walks alone with me. While he is more independent, the little one is a cuddle bug! The little one is still learning how to walk on the leash. They are both very good with housetraining. I will try to post some pictures once I figure out how! Good luck with your decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts