Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add a girl to our family in a year or two. I am not sure if I would want a Maltese or Yorkie. I am still doing research. What I am looking for is very specific and I know it will take some time to find the one. My husband is against the idea. He says he doesn't want a house full of dogs. I don't think three qualifies as a "house full of dogs". I feel he is exaggerating. I tried to explain that she will bond with him much more than the boys. He is a little jealous that they only have eyes for me. I explained a girl is much different. Sigh. I really want a girl.......

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Here, you can have London....just kidding! lol But OH MY GOSH she is such a handful...just like any other girl dog I've had. Every boy dog I've had, even through childhood has been so sweet & perfect.

My husband and I have agreed to never again get a female, though. We love London obviously and wouldn't trade her for anything but she pushes our buttons almost daily. I think she is a LOT (LOTLOTLOT) smarter than Preston and she needs a lot of mental stimulation so if she gets bored she tends to act out. Preston is happy anywhere, any time, any place. All he needs is: food, snuggles, & somewhere comfy to lay. lol

On a more serious note, I think Maltese are "generally" less strong-willed than Yorkies which is a classic Terrier trait. I adore Yorkies as well, though, but mostly for their coloring & coat...they are similar to a Maltese, only in a different color! :) If you decide to go with a Yorkie, make sure you really do your homework on breeders as they are 36 times more likely than ANY other breed COMBINED to have a Liver Shunt. Keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I've got 3 boys and 1 girl. The boys are very affectionate. When Jamie, the female, came to live here last year, Tanner suddenly decided he had to sleep right up against me. Prior to that he was at the foot of the bed. Hmmm. Jamie is affectionate, but not as needy as the boys. Kelsey, my newest, is definately a velcro boy. I'd like to think it was me, but he was the same way before he came here. My breeder friend, Laraine, says "Girls love you, but boys fall in love with you." I think she's right.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I'm sure with 3 it would be alot of fun, but I'm not sure about boys compared to girls because I've only had a boy, a sweet cuddly boy. I'd love a girl too I think, if I was to get another one, I think because of the different clothes more than anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two Maltese. My neighbor has a Yorkie. She calls him a Yorkshire Terrorist and wishes she went with Maltese because my little ones are affectionate and her Yorkie is a handful. This might not be the same for all, but I would guide you to a Maltese (but I may be a little partial, I'm looking to get another!).

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
When I got my first female, I let hubby hold her on the way home.....and I encouraged him to hold her a lot and to take her with him.

Abbey became a daddy's girl....it's a good thing :chili::aktion033:.....because as much as she is a daddy's girl....she's my girl a tad more because I do everything for her.... :thumbsup:B):innocent:...think about it.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of showing him the thread "I got snubbed". I think he could relate.

I read so many great stories here and I want to experience having a girl. Their are some here that only have girls and love it. Don't get me wrong, I love my boys. When I enter the room or leave their eyes follow me or they get up and follow me. I love it!!!! Girls are sassy, smart. They even have a different look to me.

Yorkshire Terrorist! That is funny :) I really need to look into the breed as well the health problems.

I hope I can get him to change his mind and want a girl. I don't want a puppy. I am thinking a teenager or retired. I don't mind re-training her. Will see.....

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
I've never had a girl maltese but my 2 girl pomeranian mixes are very independent and not very cuddly - but very loyal!

Milo is very affectionate, cuddly and extremely dependent. He is always by my side.

I love Milo and would get another boy in a heartbeat! BUT I think my next will be a girl.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The next addition will be a girl and will more than likely be Maltese. I think I can get him to change his mind. Plus, I am not looking to do this quickly (one year or two). I am going to take as much time as needed to find the perfect one. I could do what my mom did and bring her home. My mom has two dogs. She added a third and didn't tell him, just brought her home. My dad was furious, but she is his little shadow and he loves her to so much.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
My mom has two dogs. She added a third and didn't tell him, just brought her home. My dad was furious, but she is his little shadow and he loves her to so much.
haha this reminded me of the time I brought Picasso (a yorkshire terrier rescue) into the house in 2008 when I just knew that my parents weren't allowing. But I succeeded in making them allow me to foster him :D

I really hope it goes smoothly for you and you will eventually end up convincing your hubby ;) yup, good that you have enough time to research!

All the best!

Kat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts