Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just HAVE to stop looking at the rescue sites. I found a cute old lady who's owner had a massive stroke and left her and her 6 and 7 yr old pups. I am seriously considering taking her. I cannot bare that she (they) lost their mom so tragically. I am thinking she may have one to 3 yrs left and I would love to give her a safe and loving place to live out the rest of her life. I am wondering if I may be being unfair to Maggie and Trixie by doing this. Would it take away from them? They seem to be ok around other dogs, although it takes Maggie a day or two to adjust. Then she is just fine with them. This little girl seems to be in good health but no teeth. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice about this please? I do so want to do the right thing here.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Aww what a wonderful thing you're considering. I thought it would take away from our malts too but they all get lots of luvin. Emily is still my little armpit snuggler at night. See if they adjust,I'm sure they will.
Amber just loves Rylee to death,they're like best buds.
Bitsy and Emily and Sasha get into their tiffs but I also catch them sleeping ,all on one big doggie pillow.
I catch myself givign Bitsy a little extra hugging sinc eshe didnt' get that love in the past adn her time is shorter than the others,she's 10 the others are 6 and 7. I try to balance out the lovin as best I can ,each one comes up and gets their lovin.

It's your choice and you have to feel comfortable w/ it.

I used to take in oldsters from the shelter and I didn't regret it,only regret was they didn't have more time,but the time they had,was with love.

Hugs!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I just adore seniors! I swear Lady gets better and better with age.

Do you know this Malt's background? Is she with a rescue group so you can speak to her foster mom about her personality to see if she'd be a good fit for your family? If she's very bonded to her puppies, will it be hard for her to be separated from them? It's not fair to ask an older gal to adjust too much IMO.

If it seems like a good fit, the only other consideration would be vet bills. Those final years can be expensive so just make sure you are financially prepared to handle whatever health issues may develop. It's important that seniors have bloodwork and a physical twice a year to make sure little things are caught before they turn into big issues.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the lady who heads the rescue has all three of the dogs. She said the old gal is quiet, low key and very sweet. Her daughter is very independent. The son is attached to mom but the foster seemed to think he would be ok. He is 7 yrs old. I was concerned about that as well but figured he will have to deal with the separation when his momma passes to the bridge anyway. If I could take him too I would. I still have not committed to anything. I just know she will probably not be adopted due to her age unless someone else like me comes along (sucker for a sad puppy). Thanks for the suggestions. They are certainly food for thought.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
13 yr old malt

Aww what a wonderful thing you're considering. I thought it would take away from our malts too but they all get lots of luvin. Emily is still my little armpit snuggler at night. See if they adjust,I'm sure they will.
Amber just loves Rylee to death,they're like best buds.
Bitsy and Emily and Sasha get into their tiffs but I also catch them sleeping ,all on one big doggie pillow.
I catch myself givign Bitsy a little extra hugging sinc eshe didnt' get that love in the past adn her time is shorter than the others,she's 10 the others are 6 and 7. I try to balance out the lovin as best I can ,each one comes up and gets their lovin.

It's your choice and you have to feel comfortable w/ it.

I used to take in oldsters from the shelter and I didn't regret it,only regret was they didn't have more time,but the time they had,was with love.

Hugs!
Well, that is what I want to do is to give her a loving home for whatever time she has left. Giving lovins to everyone is no problem for sure :wub:

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
Janis, I admire & applaud you for your compassion----I know that lady would have a great place in your heart & home. Three years isn't long unless you are living in the wrong place & I know your home would be a great place for her to live out her life w/love.
Follow your heart!
I think if "momma" is happy then the pups can adjust!
Praying for wisdom.:wub:

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Well, that is what I want to do is to give her a loving home for whatever time she has left. Giving lovins to everyone is no problem for sure :wub:

The only problem...not enough hands and arms to hug every one at once!
We kinda just scoop them up,all at once!

Sounds like someone has a new family member on the way....

I'm excited and happy for you,it's a good thing you're doing and you'll be blessed by this one's love too.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh like Marj, I ADORE Seniors, there is something so special about them. If your current babies like other furbabies, that's a great start, and then you just find out, the tempermant of the 13 year old, just to be sure she is okay with other dogs as well.

Bless your heart for wanting to open your home to this precious one. Seniors truly are very special. Hugs.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I could adopt all the seniors out there. Some of their stories just break my heart. Apparently, these dogs were well taken care of, although I have no idea why she would not have any teeth (?)
SANDI, I have been praying for wisdom. I have gone from yes to no then back to yes so many times. Then I just think of her and the kind of life she used to have to one that would be less than desirable. I will have to wait another week before I can see her. Thankyou everyone for your words of wisdom and encouragement.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I wish I could adopt all the seniors out there. Some of their stories just break my heart. Apparently, these dogs were well taken care of, although I have no idea why she would not have any teeth (?)
SANDI, I have been praying for wisdom. I have gone from yes to no then back to yes so many times. Then I just think of her and the kind of life she used to have to one that would be less than desirable. I will have to wait another week before I can see her. Thankyou everyone for your words of wisdom and encouragement.

Sending you much love and hugs. When you did get a chance to see her, I think that will better help your descion. Many many hugs.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Janis - I agree with Christine. I think you need to meet her and also have your two meet her and see what the consensus is. It would be wonderful if she could be part of your family for the time she has.:wub::wub: As far as vet bills go, is there any help via the rescue. I know my neighbor did a rescue and they're provided medical help and paid for surgery she needed.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Some dogs just have bad teeth. My poor Micky gets his teeth cleaned once a year like clockwork and he still loses teeth each time. He is very spoiled and well taken care of, but at the rate we are going, he won't have many left by 13, and he is only 6!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
This is so heartwarming!!!! Can't wait to hear what you/the gang thinks after you meet her. I personally think it would be much easier to add a senior as a third as they aren't so demanding for attention like a high energy puppy - they're more mellow generally. I have a good feeling about this :) xoxoxo

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, you guys! We will go see her Friday at the Petco she will be at for the rescue. I think she will be fine too. The rescue says she gets along well with other dogs and mine are pretty sociably -except for shy Maggie - she will take a day to "sniff" out the situation then she will be fine. As far as health goes, they said she hears fine, walks fine, eats well and is generally in good health. They did have her vet checked. I never thought to ask if there are problems if they would help with vet bills. Please pray that won't be necessary. When we get her I will post pics. You can see her on petfinder though. Her name is Whisper. She is cute as can be. I cannot wait to see her. I have a sleeping crate all set up, since that is what she has been used to, which Trixie is napping in right now LOL!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thanks, you guys! We will go see her Friday at the Petco she will be at for the rescue. I think she will be fine too. The rescue says she gets along well with other dogs and mine are pretty sociably -except for shy Maggie - she will take a day to "sniff" out the situation then she will be fine. As far as health goes, they said she hears fine, walks fine, eats well and is generally in good health. They did have her vet checked. I never thought to ask if there are problems if they would help with vet bills. Please pray that won't be necessary. When we get her I will post pics. You can see her on petfinder though. Her name is Whisper. She is cute as can be. I cannot wait to see her. I have a sleeping crate all set up, since that is what she has been used to, which Trixie is napping in right now LOL!
Do you have a link?

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I will take ANY senior, sight unseen. I've always made it work, and the areas to keep them comfortable. I adopted my senior Daisy, and Lulu. I've fostered many seniors, some were adopted, some passed at the house. I adore the seniors. And you know, my Jops, Franks, and LBB, will be seniors before you know it.

Now pups are a different story at my house ~ LOL

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thanks...bless her little heart, she looks a wee bit sad to me...probably confused. Wanna just hug her up... xoxoxo All of them... xoxoxox

1 - 20 of 61 Posts