Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone it’s been sometime since I’ve been on here,

im thinking of getting a second Maltese. Preferably a girl, I have noticed that anytime I tell Maltese breeders that I have a male Maltese, they always are skeptical of me getting a female Maltese puppy. They’ll always suggest me to get another male or ask why I want a femal even if I state not for breeding purposes or that my male is altered (neutered) does or has this happened to everyone with the opposite gender Maltese? Maltese breeders are the only breed this has happened to me with, I know most authentic Maltese breeders try and protect the breed to the best of their ability which is why the Maltese breed is one of the healthiest dog breeds, and they are not know to have a ton of health issues until later on in life and they also have a very lengthy lifespan.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I think females are more "in demand" than males. Maybe they think if you have been successful in raising one male, you'd be successful with another. Personally, I have found some of my males accepting of others, but some engage in leg-lifting contests even with another female. lol

If you really want a female, and they are skeptical of your reasons, could your vet be a reference for you, to let them know you're not the "backyard breeder" type?

You mention in an earlier post that you would like to show. I believe you can not show a spayed or neutered Maltese in conformation. And there is no reason to want to. Maybe that is a concern, because of the possibiltiy of "oops" litters in spite of your stated intention not to breed.

But you and a spayed or neutered pet could still participate in obedience, agility, dancing ("canine freestyle"), get a "canine good citizen" certificate and have your pet participate as a therapy dog, visiting nursing homes, hospitals etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts