Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life is good. Archie and Abbey are my babies - Everyone is healthy and happy....so what am I thinking?

A girl friend of mine came over today - she has a maltese and a yorkie. OK - she just adoped a rescue little yorkie - she got him last night. She took him to the vet this morning and brought him over here to borrow my front strap-on puppy carrier. OMG - he's 3 lbs and will be two years old in February - he's so sweet and adorable, he came from a puppy mill shut down in Arkansas. I'm in love and she's trying to talk me into adopting another little guy who is around 4 lbs - same age. I need help - talk me out of this - I'm falling in love....

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
I'm not talking you out of anything - I have 4 dogs , and both my boys are rescues . Rescue dogs reward their owners with more love than you have ever seen . Yorkies are GORGEOUS !!!! Sarah

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Would this adoption take place through a reputable rescue, the pound, or your friend?

Is the little one spayed/neutered, dental, current on shots, complete vet check up? If not, are you willing to do this for the fluffy?

I do hope you are able to take this little one in. Rescues hold a very special place in my heart

·
Premium Member
20,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The puppy mill that was shut down was in Arkansas. The rescue group is called Society Waggers. The pup is in foster care right now in Arkansas - the dog is 2 years old and weights 4.11 lbs (I don't think that is extra small for a Yorkie).
The Society Waggers e-mailed me last night and said that he is "completely vetted" (whatever all that includes????) They have a puppy bus coming up here on Thursday....I don't know, I'm going to have to think on this one - It's hard for me to think with my head, if my heart gets involved first! I have to think of Abbey and Archie too - what will they think?! (I think I want him)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
The puppy mill that was shut down was in Arkansas. The rescue group is called Society Waggers. The pup is in foster care right now in Arkansas - the dog is 2 years old and weights 4.11 lbs (I don't think that is extra small for a Yorkie).
The Society Waggers e-mailed me last night and said that he is "completely vetted" (whatever all that includes????) They have a puppy bus coming up here on Thursday....I don't know, I'm going to have to think on this one - It's hard for me to think with my head, if my heart gets involved first! I have to think of Abbey and Archie too - what will they think?! (I think I want him)
[/B]
Hi, I would ask exactly what "vetted" means.... get the details. I understand where you're coming from. I often think I'd like a third. But what I do is picture a third here while I'm doing things with K & C. I'll say... "where would the third one be while I'm using one hand to pet K and one to pet C... who would be petting the third one?" Just try to picture where he would sleep, how he would fit in... Doing that helps me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Four-1/2 pounds isn't unusually small for a Yorkie, but, it is small for a puppy mill dog and I wonder if he may just be under weight and malnurished.

I love Yorkies. I love having Harry as my Nephew. At first I thought, I want a Yorkie too. Then, Harry came into his voice and I knew I couldn't handle the terrier alert barking on a regular basis. I could handle it if I had to, if Harry had to come live with me permanently, but, it isn't a choice I would make for myself if I didn't have to.

Terriers just aren't for me. I love my Poodles and Maltese

As you mull this over, think about life with a terrier. People forget the adorable Yorkies house a terrier's heart--I know I almost did!

As a third dog, he may start a chorus of noise you're not used to.

At two, signs of liver shunt would likely have become evident by now, but, a thorough physcial exam (vetted) including full blood chemistry, fecal exam, and, urinalysis would be the first thing I would do with a rescue. Not necessarily to find something that would cause me not to adopt, but, just to have a baseline and be fully aware of the dog's health right from the start.

It's a tough decision. I have three dogs, plus, I board several small dogs at a time in my home. So, I often have at least five to six dogs here every day.

It is major laborious work. Enjoyable for me, but, don't underestimate the time committment needed when the number goes above two, not to mention the regular costs for grooming, veterinary care, vaccinations, food, etc. etc. including boarding if/when you travel for three dogs. I never go anywhere. Can't afford it.

I don't envy you this battle between being analytical and listening to your heart.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
While I do not have anything to add about what needs to be checked before adopting I do have three friends with Yorkies and none of them bark. As I've said before I live in the city, and so do my friends, and therefore a nonbarking dog is essential because the other people in my condo would not appreciate it. As was discussed in another thread I dont think you can really generalize one type of dog to be a barker/non-barker. I was told before I got Lilly that maltese are a "yappy" breed and I got a little worried, well I proved them wrong by training her not to!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
It's too bad you can't meet him before adopting him.

Good luck, I know what ever decision you make will be what is best for you and your family. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am 100% in favor of rescue, but you have to know what you are getting into, especially with a puppy mill dog.

Puppy mills dogs can come with all sorts of issues from spending their whole life in a cage. Poop eating, spinning, extreme shyness, all are to be expected. If you do decide to adopt him, just be aware that he will take a lot of time and effort to be rehabilated and will perhaps never be totally.

How will Archie and Abbey feel about sharing you with such a needy new member of the household?

Another consideration is that since he's been used as a stud, marking may be an issue. Unfortunately, being around a dog who marks can make a neutered male pick up the habit. I woman I know who does Yorkie rescue said her ten year old male never marked until she brought a foster into the home who did.

Can you live with two dogs who mark?

I know you asked us to talk you out of it, but I'm not trying to do that. I'm just trying to bring up possible, and hopefully, worse case, scenerios. If you can live with those, there will obviously be many positives.

It's a huge decision. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
20,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your imput. You know I did lose my Bichon, Lacie, a few months ago - she lived a good long life and she had been a wonderful companion. Can it be I've already forgotten how I can't walk three dogs, and my Outlook car seat only holds two dogs!! Archie is in love with me - he'd be heart broken if I brought someone new into our home. Plus I already squirm each month when I hand over $85 to have these two groomed - and then there's the vet bills.

Don't get me wrong, if I had to take this little guy in, I would have no problem. But beings I have a choice, I think I better pass on this one. Until it feels right, anyway.

Thanks for getting my head on straight.....again.
...hope I remember all this tomorrow

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think you made a good decision.

It's so easy to think with your heart. Every time I see available puppies or, worse for me, a retiree, I think I about sending that email...!

Then I look at Lady and know that she would hate sharing me with another dog. And then I think about my vets bills and it's a no brainer!

It's easy to be a collector. These little ones are so cute. It's much harder to only have as many as you have time and money for, and money long term, not just right now.

Archie and Abbey are darling. Plenty of love there already!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I love yorkies, so I'm no help. They're not only cute but great personalities. I miss my little Bebe everyday and Trinket (my other yorkie) is here half the time when not at my daughter's house.Let us know when you get one..lol!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Thank you all for your imput. You know I did lose my Bichon, Lacie, a few months ago - she lived a good long life and she had been a wonderful companion. Can it be I've already forgotten how I can't walk three dogs, and my Outlook car seat only holds two dogs!! Archie is in love with me - he'd be heart broken if I brought someone new into our home. Plus I already squirm each month when I hand over $85 to have these two groomed - and then there's the vet bills.

Don't get me wrong, if I had to take this little guy in, I would have no problem. But beings I have a choice, I think I better pass on this one. Until it feels right, anyway.

Thanks for getting my head on straight.....again.
...hope I remember all this tomorrow
[/B]
Oh, bless your heart

I'm with Marj, and Brit, on this one. My house is "set-up" for all sorts of "personalities". My babies have ALL lived their lives with "newbies" coming to stay with us. I have seperate areas, a personal trainer, and Mary Palmer (Northcentral Maltese Rescue) to help, when needed. Every dog, who comes into my household, is very well socialized. However, Marj is right on the money with the potty "issue". This is another story. My Blind Billy was COMPLETELY "pad trained", until Henry came along. Since then, thanks to a dear friend of mine, they are both wearing belly-bands, while I continue to train them. We're getting there, but it has been over a year. Thank God for the Belly Band, as I do work full time.

As far as health, when an adoptive parent is approved for adoption, I give the new parents FULL medical records of the little one. They are EXTENSIVE. No little one is adopted without approval of Rescue. No little one is adopted with "hidden" issues. We so try to put a stop to the "merry-go-round".

Now, back to Brit. I so love Yorkies, too
I'm hoping to have one of these little darlings. I know 2Maltmom will have one soon enough

Maltese and Yorkies

·
Premium Member
20,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OMG - I got another e-mail from the Wagger's Society - she says she's been searching for a perfect place for the little Yorkie to go live and she says it's with me. My heart is inching forward again - please, he's just a little guy 4 lbs 11 oz. - Why don't one of you guys adopt him? Common, any one of us would provide a great home. ....help me out here.

I'm talking to myself here.....can't walk three, can't fit three in the car seat, can't fit three on your lap (well if I keep eating so much, there will be) another dog to be groomed (ouch). Ok - I'm feeling a little better now.

On the other hand - I hear he is so sweet and quiet and gets along with other dogs - he really needs a home.
I always wanted a Yorkie (no, stop thinking that way
)

Anyone....excuse me.....anyone want their e-mail address???

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
If I could I would take in every dog that came along........but I can't. I have a maltese and yorkie and they get along fine but when a third dog shows up.......it is a nightmare. They are both so set in their ways and are extremely attached. And the Yorkie is 100% terrier. He has has sweet and loving moments but he is a terrier. You have such beautiful babies already.....count your blessings. But it is your decision!

Did they send any pics you can post on Yorkietalk............I am sure you could find him a good home with someone there.

·
Premium Member
20,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I could I would take in every dog that came along........but I can't. I have a maltese and yorkie and they get along fine but when a third dog shows up.......it is a nightmare. They are both so set in their ways and are extremely attached. And the Yorkie is 100% terrier. He has has sweet and loving moments but he is a terrier. You have such beautiful babies already.....count your blessings. But it is your decision!

Did they send any pics you can post on Yorkietalk............I am sure you could find him a good home with someone there.[/B]
Good idea - there are two pics in the e-mail she sent me - maybe I can copy them - I'll try it!

·
Premium Member
20,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here's a picture of the little guy in September - right after the rescue. He's been neutered and got a hair cut back in September - so his hair is growing longer now... he's in Arkansas in a foster home.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
OMG, I want a yorkie so bad, I miss my yorkie CeCe who passed away a couple of years ago.
The only problems is that Peechie is very jealous and I dont think she would tolerate another little doggie in the house. She tolerates the cat but I dont know about a yorkie. Do you have any pictures????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts