Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I'll admit it, I've been in a bit of a mood lately.:blush: I'm seriously thinking of starting a blog. Not that anyone would really read what I have to say, but more to vent really. Kind of like therapy, right? :innocent:

So this is what I MIGHT send to our local paper. Just thought I'd share.:HistericalSmiley:

Shopping Cart Returns

To the person who was shopping at XXXXX Supermarket in XXXXXX on Thursday, May 29th and left their shopping cart, the kind that looks like a little car for a child to sit in, out in the middle of the parking lot, thank you for nice new dent in the side of my car. I realize that perhaps you were much too busy to take a few seconds to return the cart to one of the many and conveniently placed cart returns. Or perhaps it was just too much for you to walk the few extra steps to push the cart to the cart return. I really try to think of those poor souls like you and park as closely to a cart return as possible. In this instance, I was one parking space away from a cart return. I apologize that I was unable to park right next to it. I’ll try harder next visit. The shopping cart that rammed into the side of my car was in such a position that I could not simply push it forward or backwards without doing further damage to my car. So I had to lift the one end of the cart away from my car. And totally my fault, I’m a bit of a klutz at times, but one of the carts wheels smashed into my toe. Not only painful, but ruining a brand new pedicure. I’m so thankful that I do my own toes. How awful it would be for the poor technician who worked so hard to make my toes pretty, to find out that her work had been ruined within 24 hours.
So I will continue to try my best to be considerate of you in the future and park as far away as I possibly can from the rest of the parked cars, while parking as closely to a cart return as possible. I mean, we all need to do our part in thinking of others first, right? If only I could learn to be more considerate of others, our town, heck the world, would be so much nicer of a place to live.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Oh Crystal, I am sorry that happened to your car. I would be mad. That is so sad that someone was too lazy to put the cart up and it caused your car damage. Your much too kind.......I would want to ring their neck!!! ..........and then kick them in the rear with my bad pedicure that they caused~~~Did I help get the anger out now girlfriend!!!! Write that letter to the newspaper........go on, do it!!!!:w00t:

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
This is so funny. :yes: Go get 'em Crystal.

I have seen people walk away saying that they don't need to put carts back, that is what they pay those "kids" for.

My father was the kind of guy who NEVER left a cart anywhere in the parking lot other than the designated areas. He would go gather up other people's carts as well. He ingrained this in his kids as an ethic on par with the other commandments: Thou shall not steal, Thou shall not leave carts in parking lots. :innocent:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
u should definitely send the letter, and im sorry this happ, u r soo right there are some very inconsiderate ppl in the world .

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I agree with returning my own cart. But I have to tell you...--getting a todder strapped in a car seat--possibly that mom had more than one kid, while juggling groceries--is a HURCULEAN FEAT. And I was paranoid as **** to turn my back on my car once the kids were inside the car--cars get hijacked with babies/toddlers inside all the time. I think more often than not in those years I ditched the cart as safely away from other cars as I could.

Not saying that there are not careless, senseless people out there who just don't give a sh*t.

I can see both sides of the problem!!!

Maybe the supermarket needs to be more vigilant about hiring enough people to be out there collecting the carts!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I agree with returning my own cart. But I have to tell you...--getting a todder strapped in a car seat--possibly that mom had more than one kid, while juggling groceries--is a HURCULEAN FEAT. And I was paranoid as **** to turn my back on my car once the kids were inside the car--cars get hijacked with babies/toddlers inside all the time. I think more often than not in those years I ditched the cart as safely away from other cars as I could.

Not saying that there are not careless, senseless people out there who just don't give a sh*t.

I can see both sides of the problem!!!

Maybe the supermarket needs to be more vigilant about hiring enough people to be out there collecting the carts!
You know Pam, I truly understand what you're saying, I really do. But in this grocery store parking lot, they have so many cart returns that it's never too far from any parking spot. That's why it's especially irritating. And you can always strap your kids into their car seats and then lock the car doors to return the cart, right? I mean, that's what I did on the occasions I had my nieces and nephews with me. Maybe because I didn't have to do it on a regular basis I'm missing something. But especially on a super windy day in a parking lot known for it's drainage slopes, I think no matter what, you should do whatever you can to ensure your empty cart won't do damage to someone's car.

Oh...just want to add that this supermarket is really great at sending people out to collect carts. Rarely, if ever, are the cart returns overly filled. They're also great at opening a new checkout lane if there are more then a few people waiting. Just a great store. Their parking lot has a few design flaws though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I asked my mom if she ever did that when we were little, because I'm sure it was tempting....she said..."Only once, when it was really cold and I was trying to get out of there because your little sister started getting droolsicles on her face!"

As for me, pushing around a shopping cart makes me feel old for some reason, so I try to avoid it. But I always put mine back.

It's most annoying to me when it ends up in the middle of a semi-close parking spot. I get all excited "Oooh a spot!" but no SOMEBODY thought that was a good place to put their cart so I have to keep circling for a spot instead.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I'm with you Crystal! I hate seeing people just leave their carts. I've had carts snuggle up with my car a couple of time but I was lucky with no damage. I ALWAYS return the carts to the proper area and sincerely wish others would. I rank this right up there with people walking their dogs and not being responsible enough to clean up after them.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Oh I hear ya! This is one of my pet peeves too!! I have scratches & little dings on nearly every pannel of my car, all of which have happened when I haven't even been in my car!! All thanks to, you guessed it, a shopping cart!!!!!

Oh, and another thing ... people need to take more care opening their doors when parked - I hadnt even had my brand new car for 2 weeks, when I returned from shopping to find a ding in my door, thanks to some careless jerk flinging open their own door & slamming it into mine!!!! ughhhhh!!!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My father was the kind of guy who NEVER left a cart anywhere in the parking lot other than the designated areas. He would go gather up other people's carts as well. He ingrained this in his kids as an ethic on par with the other commandments: Thou shall not steal, Thou shall not leave carts in parking lots. :innocent:
OMG ... I must be related to your father because I always return my cart and will pick up others along the way!! What bugs me is when I get to my car, unload the groceries, and start walking my cart to the drop-off area and someone is sitting waiting for my space and gives me dirty looks (or worse) because I didn't get out of the parking space quickly enough for them.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I am totally with you. I have always returned my cart to the cart area even when my kids were little - I would park near the cart area and lock them in. I will take a cart from outside the store on my way in, also. This is a serious problem around here - they even take the carts home with them if they've walked to the store and then they don't return them so a truck rides around and picks them up!!!!

I don't know if they did or do this elsewhere, but years ago there was a store here that had all the carts in their place and locked in. You would have to put a quarter in a little slot in the handle to unlock it and then to get your quarter back you had to bring the cart back to the cart area and lock it back up and your quarter would pop out. Even then people didn't care, they'd just leave their carts out in the lot. The kids would round them up and get the quarters!

Oh, and people parking close and banging your door with theirs??!?!? Once, when I was younger I was sitting in my brand new used car in the grocery parking lot and this car pulls up real close to mine and some young kids (tweens) just threw their car door open and bashed into my car. I got out and looked and saw the dent and muttered to myself something about my new car. Well, the adult females with them overheard me and started yelling and cursing and screaming at me - I thought for sure I was going to get my butt kicked because they damaged my car!!!! I just drove off. But, I'll never forget that. There are some crazy scary people out there!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm with you Crystal! I hate seeing people just leave their carts. I've had carts snuggle up with my car a couple of time but I was lucky with no damage. I ALWAYS return the carts to the proper area and sincerely wish others would. I rank this right up there with people walking their dogs and not being responsible enough to clean up after them.
I completely agree!!! Basically people not being accountable for their own responsibilities or choices drives me insane. Why should anyone else suffer the consequences of their choices? jmo.

Whenever I see someone who drops the doggie bag on the sidewalk (or doesn't pick it up) or even litters, I really want to say "hey, you dropped something"..but I don't have that nerve yet!

Crystal, I think you should send that letter!

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
that's so annoying and diappointing Crystal...yes write your letter! sometimes the cashier asks if you need help bringing out your groceries if you have alot of bags, heavy items etc, and you can ask for help too. So if that service is available why not choose that than leaving a cart out where it can do damage? And I really don't like seeing people bring the carts to the corral and shoving them so hard crashing them into the other carts...really no wonder the things are dented and have screwy wheels that get stuck. The cart is someone's property and so are the cars.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh I hear ya! This is one of my pet peeves too!! I have scratches & little dings on nearly every pannel of my car, all of which have happened when I haven't even been in my car!! All thanks to, you guessed it, a shopping cart!!!!!

Oh, and another thing ... people need to take more care opening their doors when parked - I hadnt even had my brand new car for 2 weeks, when I returned from shopping to find a ding in my door, thanks to some careless jerk flinging open their own door & slamming it into mine!!!! ughhhhh!!!!!
Oh that really upsets me too. When they pull up right next to your car, and you see them do it, they act like somehow it's YOUR fault! I remember as a kid, people leaving notes on a car if they bumped into it or dinged it with their door. It's really sad and actually quite shocking to see how quickly basic courtesy and personal responsibility is rapidly declining.

Another thing I've really noticed with parking lots is that people are in such a hurry that they don't park straight in their parking space. It can make it really tricky if you are beside them, to be able to back out of your space without hitting them.

I completely agree!!! Basically people not being accountable for their own responsibilities or choices drives me insane. Why should anyone else suffer the consequences of their choices? jmo.

Whenever I see someone who drops the doggie bag on the sidewalk (or doesn't pick it up) or even litters, I really want to say "hey, you dropped something"..but I don't have that nerve yet!

Crystal, I think you should send that letter!
Oh I'm the same way. In fact, I find myself picking up other people's dog poop in the town my store is in because I don't want other store owners or locals to think it was me.

Something else I see all the time that drives me crazy, is not only do people toss their cigarette butts anywhere and everywhere, making sidewalks and walk ways look trashy, but they will empty their whole ashtray in the middle of the road while sitting at a red light. If you choose to smoke that's your right. Just keep your stinky trashy habit in your car and dispose of it in a trash can.

that's so annoying and diappointing Crystal...yes write your letter! sometimes the cashier asks if you need help bringing out your groceries, and you can ask for help too. So if that service is available why not choose that than leaving a cart out where it can do damage? I really don't like seeing people bring the carts to the corral and shoving them so hard crashing them into the other carts...really no wonder the things are dented and have screwy wheels that are stuck.
You know, I was just thinking about that. I had to go back to the same grocery store tonight because I forgot to refill my large water container. And at this particular grocery store, there is always drive up service. And if it's late at night, they pretty much insist on it if you are by yourself. So if someone is struggling with a physical injury or disability, or has their hands full of little kids, there is no reason not to make use of the drive up service that is free of charge. In fact, the employees are not allowed to take a tip.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Crystal - I had to go to the grocery store tonight and had read your post earlier and I thought of you the entire time. I took careful notice of how many carriage holders there were and how close together they were and STILL there were carts everywhere. It really is a shame - I am like many of you where I ALWAYS put my cart back and any others that are close to my car.

PS. I've picked up other's dog poo too near the beach because I don't want some angry person to try to stop dogs from being able to go to the beach!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
OMG ... I must be related to your father because I always return my cart and will pick up others along the way!! What bugs me is when I get to my car, unload the groceries, and start walking my cart to the drop-off area and someone is sitting waiting for my space and gives me dirty looks (or worse) because I didn't get out of the parking space quickly enough for them.

LOL, OMG that is so me too, it's like a guilt thing. Crystal, I say go for it and am so sorry this happend to you. (hugs)

·
Registered
574 Posts
carts

Ok so I'll admit it, I've been in a bit of a mood lately.:blush: I'm seriously thinking of starting a blog. Not that anyone would really read what I have to say, but more to vent really. Kind of like therapy, right? :innocent:

So this is what I MIGHT send to our local paper. Just thought I'd share.:HistericalSmiley:

Shopping Cart Returns

To the person who was shopping at XXXXX Supermarket in XXXXXX on Thursday, May 29th and left their shopping cart, the kind that looks like a little car for a child to sit in, out in the middle of the parking lot, thank you for nice new dent in the side of my car. I realize that perhaps you were much too busy to take a few seconds to return the cart to one of the many and conveniently placed cart returns. Or perhaps it was just too much for you to walk the few extra steps to push the cart to the cart return. I really try to think of those poor souls like you and park as closely to a cart return as possible. In this instance, I was one parking space away from a cart return. I apologize that I was unable to park right next to it. I’ll try harder next visit. The shopping cart that rammed into the side of my car was in such a position that I could not simply push it forward or backwards without doing further damage to my car. So I had to lift the one end of the cart away from my car. And totally my fault, I’m a bit of a klutz at times, but one of the carts wheels smashed into my toe. Not only painful, but ruining a brand new pedicure. I’m so thankful that I do my own toes. How awful it would be for the poor technician who worked so hard to make my toes pretty, to find out that her work had been ruined within 24 hours.
So I will continue to try my best to be considerate of you in the future and park as far away as I possibly can from the rest of the parked cars, while parking as closely to a cart return as possible. I mean, we all need to do our part in thinking of others first, right? If only I could learn to be more considerate of others, our town, heck the world, would be so much nicer of a place to live.
Crystal... it IS annoying.. you know those cart holders are for everyone ELSE to use, not "me"... society and their entitlement issues.

I always park way out. My little cherry red Rav4 is only a year old and even all winter, with bad back, I trudged through the snow, so my little red baby wouldn't get door dings...but Thurs, we had 50-60mph winds. In the local parking Walmart (where else :) there were carts EVERYWHERE and for the first time, I parked up front amongst the other cars. I felt, door ding, better than a cart dent!

Send your letter.

Oh and I would read your blog LOL

Karla

1 - 17 of 17 Posts