Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need an easy to locate sub-forum with links to emergency care. Of course, we will go to a vet with a sick dog, but sometimes we mommies are called upon to act quickly.

We need a quick link to Heimlich maneuver. A quick link to CPR. A quick link to poison control. We need pinned threads that a mom who is scared to death can find quickly.

We also need to talk about having a first aid kit for our kids. Let's talk about what we need in that kit, so that we don't come upon an emergency and find that we don't have that.

My suggestions:

1. Eyewash
2. hydrogen peroxide
3. alcohol
4. cotton swabs and cotton pads
5. tweezers
6. Xanax (for mom)
7. Syringes in several sizes
Please add essentials to the list. We want members and non-members alike to be able to do first aid when necessary. But, members should be prepared.

Okay? Please add your comments and don't let this just float away.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Nickee, your terrible ordeal and fear with Yogi is what prompted me to make this post.
I Thought so-You are a very special person and i so greatly appreciate all the help- We need this all the new moms will be glad this is being done.
I WILL BE SO HAPPY to have that information>

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
This is an excellent idea, Sylie.

Yorkie Talk has a general "health" section, but a special section for "Sick and Injured" which is reserved for currently sick dogs and emergencies only. There is also a requirement that if you start a thread in that section, you must update you thread. It's amazing how many people will start a thread in a panic and have member offer suggestions and provide support during an emergency, but never bother to come back after the emergency has passed.

I also agree about having a first aid kit. I have started many threads on that subject over the years, but it's been awhile. I personally have a three drawer cart devoted for that!

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-maltese-health-behavior/56106-first-aid-kit.html

Why don't you start a new thread in the Health section about a first aid kit that could be pinned at some point?

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is an excellent idea, Sylie.

Yorkie Talk has a general "health" section, but a special section for "Sick and Injured" which is reserved for currently sick dogs and emergencies only. There is also a requirement that if you start a thread in that section, you must update you thread. It's amazing how many people will start a thread in a panic and have member offer suggestions and provide support during an emergency, but never bother to come back after the emergency has passed.

I also agree about having a first aid kit. I have started many threads on that subject over the years, but it's been awhile. I personally have a three drawer cart devoted for that!

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-maltese-health-behavior/56106-first-aid-kit.html

Why don't you start a new thread in the Health section about a first aid kit that could be pinned at some point?
Your first aid kit is really good. We need to add tweezers to it. I often need tweezers for first aid on DH. Splinters, foxtails, ticks.

Honestly, I don't know how to get this going, but I know it is important and am asking for help and support from all members.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Your first aid kit is really good. We need to add tweezers to it. I often need tweezers for first aid on DH. Splinters, foxtails, ticks.

Honestly, I don't know how to get this going, but I know it is important and am asking for help and support from all members.
Start a thread in the Health section called "First Aid Kit" and I promise you it will get going.

As far as the separate section for emergencies, hopefully Yung or one of the mods will respond.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
I'm in...what a great idea! I also have that stretchy bandage stuff, nemostats, styptic powder, nail grinders (or file) for snagged nails, meds, benedryl, scissors, and more. We RV it quite a bit, so I keep everything in a go box, just in case. I got one of those large decorator boxes at Michaels with the magnetic lid & it fits just perfectly in my "doggy" drawer in the coach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts