Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something to think about - my Sunny was beginning to get stains under his eyes. He was getting really long at the face and top knot. I gave in yesterday and took him to the groomer and cut the top knot off and trimmed his face. I wasn't impressed with her job but noticed right away that he tears a lot less and the stains are gone. He isn't wet at all there anymore. She trimmed his beard too.:chili: Just out of curiosity, how many of you out there have lots of tearing and are wearing the top knot. How many who don't wear a top knot have excessive tearing and staining?????

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
London had tear staining as a puppy but it cleared up 100% when she turned 1 (she still teared some but it didn't stain)...but now her tear staining is back. She has a short cut.

Preston is just over a year old, and he has had tear staining since he was a puppy...it is a little less now, but he still stains & tears really bad. He is also in a short cut.

·
Registered
574 Posts
tearing

Just something to think about - my Sunny was beginning to get stains under his eyes. He was getting really long at the face and top knot. I gave in yesterday and took him to the groomer and cut the top knot off and trimmed his face. I wasn't impressed with her job but noticed right away that he tears a lot less and the stains are gone. He isn't wet at all there anymore. She trimmed his beard too.:chili: Just out of curiosity, how many of you out there have lots of tearing and are wearing the top knot. How many who don't wear a top knot have excessive tearing and staining?????
You are on the right thought process here..you do have to keep their hair out of their eyes, so my girls are banded. There are, however, other aspects and reasons for tearing.

None of my girls have tear staining and they once did. I first started keeping the hair out of their eyes and then I used Anna's products to get rid of the stains my older girl had (www.castlebaths.com). Just recently, I found a new product that is fantastic. I've had two other people try it on their Malts (I tried it on 4 of mine) and they also are getting a reduction in tear staining. My girls had minimal tearstains, but there is NONE at all now, not even the little tiny trail in the corner of their eyes.

It is called Prostora and it is a pre/probiotic made by Iams. The element that makes this one different is, the probiotic is the ONLY one that is made from the gut of a healthy dog. The rest of the products out there are derived from another species, giving them probiotics that are not even natural to a dog. You can get it through your vet or on Amazon.com.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts