Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did that happen? What made you to decide to get another one? And how did you manage to convince your significant others?
Maggie is 7 month old now and obviously I cannot get another dog, but I have to constantly fight these little thoughts that keep coming back.
Like “poor Maggie, she must be bored when she is alone at home. Now, if she just had a playmate…”
or “it does not really matter – one dog or two. They are so small, I will not even notice the difference” Right…
Not to mention the fact that I live in a small 3 bedroom house, my BF will literally kill me.
Getting Maggie was a really big deal, which involved a lot of tears and “if you really loved me, you’d allow me to get a dog that I want so much”
kind of discussions J He is getting better, I actually caught him petting her, when I was not lookingJ, but I don’t think he is “reformed” enough
not to flip out if I mention getting a second dog.
So, let me live vicariously through you. How did you get the second (or third J ) dog?

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
We got two at once. Al was already on board w/ that.
I'd wait until he's completely hooked,then think about another one at that time.
two young ones can be a lot of work and expense. Many of us know,who have more than one. I have 4 Maltese a Cocker and a cat.

Give him time to bond w/ Maggie. He'll come around. When I took in two foster Maltese it was supposed to be temporary. Al refused to bond,he didn't want to get attatched...but eventually he did,on his own time,I didn't push it....I wanted to othough Eventually he would hold them,cuddle them and kiss them,I knew they were keepers then...

Welcome to SM!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Just to ease your mind, many dogs sleep the day away until your return. There can be multiple dogs in the house and still they sleep. I wouldn't base her being lonely as a reason to get another. :)

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Mine sleep most of the day too. Amber got lonely ,when I was in Florida ,I kept two Malts Al kept Amber,,,but she was used to having to many around. I think it was more that she was alone w/o daddy.
I've heard that if you have two dogs at the same time,starting young they can bond to each other and not as close to the owners.. so maybe taking the time to bond w/ her ,then later,if you still want another...it wil work out. We know Maltese are like potato chips..just can't stop at one.....:innocent:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
We got two at once. Al was already on board w/ that.
I'd wait until he's completely hooked,then think about another one at that time.
two young ones can be a lot of work and expense. Many of us know,who have more than one. I have 4 Maltese a Cocker and a cat.

Give him time to bond w/ Maggie. He'll come around. When I took in two foster Maltese it was supposed to be temporary. Al refused to bond,he didn't want to get attatched...but eventually he did,on his own time,I didn't push it....I wanted to othough Eventually he would hold them,cuddle them and kiss them,I knew they were keepers then...

Welcome to SM!
I really do agree with what Michelle says here, both owners have to be on-board. But I do understand you wanting one so very much. Hopefully he will come around.
Just to ease your mind, many dogs sleep the day away until your return. There can be multiple dogs in the house and still they sleep. I wouldn't base her being lonely as a reason to get another. :)
Brit is right here, I'm very fortuante that I do get to work at home most days, and all my two do, is sleep all day.

Whenever we added an addition, we always assessed the dog you currently have. To see how open they would be to a new addition. If your baby would love a playmate and you really want one, I do hope your boyfriend does come around.

Most times I did have two malts, but for several years, I had my sweet Kara, just her, and she couldn't be more happier being the only baby.

Hang in there, but don't feel bad for your current baby, just keep giving her all the love and joy when you are there.

Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
London was a year old when we got Preston, and my husband knew I always wanted to have two Maltese. I slowly started researching breeders & socialized London more over several months. We tried to adopt an adult rescue Malt, but they didn't get along. I still think about little Joey, and I hope he got a great home. :(

After we came that close to getting a 2nd dog, my husband was on board completely and said when the right puppy comes along we will get him. I knew I wanted a male, and had a few breeders I was staying in contact with. One puppy we were going to get ended up being given to the breeder's family member to start showing. Then, a few days later she called back and said we could have Preston, as she was holding him back for show but would let him go to a pet home since she had other puppies she was watching for show.

London really wanted another dog to play with, she began acting bored before Preston came along and once he was here, she finally had a playmate! He is definitely the annoying little brother to her, lol, but at the end of the day they get along great. I, do, however, sometimes wish I only had one Maltese again...the grooming is really exhausting since I even clip them myself on top of their weekly baths. My husband said I had to groom them myself if we got a 2nd dog because $45 per dog every grooming appointment was just out of the question. We spent about $250 on all of my grooming supplies and they have already paid for themselves over and over again! It is also really difficult to travel with both dogs now. Sometimes I go visit my parents out of town while my husband stays at home by himself and I take both dogs...it is overwhelming sometimes and I wish we could hire a house/pet sitter but the cost is too much.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is usually a bad idea to get another dog as a companion for another. If YOU want another dog for you, then pursue it. It does not always work out that the dogs love each other and get along. It is also not usually a great idea to leave two newly introduced dogs alone together. You have to expect to keep them separated when you are not home until both are reliable with their house training as well as getting along.
My husband is not a huge dog person, but he is very tolerant. Our last pup purchase was one that hubby got to select. I respect my husband's input (especially when it comes to the finances of owning a dog) and would never do something behind his back. I don't think that's a healthy relationship.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It is usually a bad idea to get another dog as a companion for another. If YOU want another dog for you, then pursue it. It does not always work out that the dogs love each other and get along. It is also not usually a great idea to leave two newly introduced dogs alone together. You have to expect to keep them separated when you are not home until both are reliable with their house training as well as getting along.
My husband is not a huge dog person, but he is very tolerant. Our last pup purchase was one that hubby got to select. I respect my husband's input (especially when it comes to the finances of owning a dog) and would never do something behind his back. I don't think that's a healthy relationship.
Jackie,
Kodie's trainer recommends waiting until the older dog is 2 years old before adding another. What are your feelings on that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting... I never thought about this from this POV. In my mind two dog "siblings" would have the same relationship as me and my sister - we may fight, but we love each other to death. Yeah, pretty naive I guess...

My BF does not live with me and certainly does not contribute to the "finances" of dog ownership. So that part is never a part of consideration. Emotional issues are. In any case - like I said, I'm not buying a new dog at the moment. There are many reasons not to. I was just wondering if this "urge" to get the second Maltese is common, and how people who did succumb to it have come to the decision :)

·
Registered
Frankie, Kelsey, & Poochie. Tanner & Jamie at The Bridge
3,597 Posts
I agree with JMM about getting another dog as a companion for another. That's how I ended up with 2 IGs--I thought the first one needed a buddy. He didn't. Surprisingly, tho, he and the YorkiePoo pup, Stevie, are great buds. They play hard & have a ball. I got my second baby, Frankie, just because I wanted another one, then it kinda snowballed! I got Jamie cuz I wanted a little girl, and Kelsey, well I just posted his story. I have told all my breeder friends that 4 is enuf, don't call me about any more. I pray they don't!!!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I agree. There is no guarantee that the two will get along and play. Some are lucky and the dogs become buddies. I also felt that my Lily needed a playmate, she loved to play and while we did have her in doggy daycare I worried it was not enough. The playmate issue was a main factor when we rescued Audrey. Audrey is a sweet, sweet little thing but she did not become the playmate I dreamed of. In fact, I think Audrey would be happiest if she was an only dog. After over a year, sometimes, kinda, I see them play but only when they are at the beach, off leash. I initially thought Audrey just wasn't a player as she is a little older at 7 years old but when I helped with rescuing little Johnny recently, she played with him! So again, no guarantee. At least Lily and Audrey don't fight and I think they do keep each other company somewhat. And we love them both to pieces. I would love to have more just because I love Maltese and dogs but it is much more difficult to travel with two versus one and I cannot imagine how it must be with more!

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I totally agree with JMM and Marti. I got Chloe and then Chelsea a cocker thinking that Chloe needed a playmate, well they don't even play together, i got Riley because he needed a good home (he was from an abusive situation) got Noelle (my mom got her for me another rescue) and Reese, i was orginally supposed to get my last malt from a different breeder it didn't work out and since my family and i were in agreement for another malt i got retired girl from Theresa from TNT. So now i have 4 malts, 1 cocker and 2 cats. Noelle is the only one that really plays with anyone, she is the one that tries to instigate play between everyone and her and Chelsea the cocker are very close they love to play together and chase each other around. I know that in the far far far off future when they pass i will only have 1 maybe 2 malts at the most. I wouldn't trade the furkids i have know for all the money in the world. I'm very lucky that everyone is very healthy so just the normal vet bills. My one cat is about 19 and sometimes acts like a kitten the only time he's been sick is when he ate one of my plants that was high on a shelf and then he had a mast cell tumor that was removed and that's it.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I totally agree with JMM and Marti. I got Chloe and then Chelsea a cocker thinking that Chloe needed a playmate, well they don't even play together, i got Riley because he needed a good home (he was from an abusive situation) got Noelle (my mom got her for me another rescue) and Reese, i was orginally supposed to get my last malt from a different breeder it didn't work out and since my family and i were in agreement for another malt i got retired girl from Theresa from TNT. So now i have 4 malts, 1 cocker and 2 cats. Noelle is the only one that really plays with anyone, she is the one that tries to instigate play between everyone and her and Chelsea the cocker are very close they love to play together and chase each other around. I know that in the far far far off future when they pass i will only have 1 maybe 2 malts at the most. I wouldn't trade the furkids i have know for all the money in the world. I'm very lucky that everyone is very healthy so just the normal vet bills. My one cat is about 19 and sometimes acts like a kitten the only time he's been sick is when he ate one of my plants that was high on a shelf and then he had a mast cell tumor that was removed and that's it.

I'm sorry i know i got a little off topic and rambled some. :brownbag:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I actually do believe that dogs need to company of other dogs. But if a multiple dog home is not ideal for you at this time, you can find company for your dog by going to dog parks, doggie meet up and training classes! I do have three dogs, but it is a lot of work to maintain a positive relationship in my dog family. They are good with each other, but mostly they like the time with me. They do sleep most of the day while I am at work. Mine were all spaced out by more than a year. All were completely potty trained before bringing in the others. They are not just automatically best friends. It's not like kids. I have to watch carefully to be sure no hostility arises at meal time, and I am also careful to have one on one time with each of my dogs. You have to really LOVE to spend time with dogs, and train dogs. How do you feel about that, you need to ask yourself.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I got Casanova as my first real pet. Then I started babysitting Leah some, and saw how Leah and Casanova played so well and were just so cute wrestling and cuddling together. Plus, I thought it would be fun to add a girl so that I have a complete pair, and I could dress her up to my heart's content.

I looked soooo hard and forever for Bijou. I must have talked to nearly every breeder on earth. When I first got Bijou, she was more possessive of me than Casanova. Then, they had a couple-months period where they wrestled non-stop. After that, their relationship normalized where they still wrestle and play together, but they also cuddle and occasionally have brotherly-sisterly spats. I think it was much easier for Casanova to accept her because she was only 2 pounds and around 7 months when she came. I hear sometimes from friends who introduce a second dog when the older dog is 3 or 4 that the dogs do not play and do not like each other.

I think each additional pet is potentially alot more work-- specifically alot more poo and pee, it seems...For me, I do not see "efficiencies of scale." There are unanticipated issues that arise from having two, or three, or four from the combination of pets and their interaction together. Now that I have Meow Meow in the city also, I definitely feel that I'm at my capacity in terms of attention. Thankfully we don't have to worry about money. I also thank my lucky stars that my two are close and get along, so that they get my attention, and also get the benefit of the close interaction with one another. They do sleep alot of the day, and definitely more than they did initially when they played together nonstop.

The best thing about having both is when I look down and see them cuddling or wrestling, and see how they both have developed such strong and different personalities. I learned more about the Maltese breed....My two are from very different lines...so it allowed me to see more what was unique to the breed vs. what was unique to the line (since I have friends from both lines) vs. what was unique to the dog her/himself. It definitely feels like we have a huge family here with 3 pets, even though we have 0 kids. Every weekend when the doorman helps us load up our two dogs and cat to goto the house, I feel like we're a traveling zoo. But it's so much fun and it's all love!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I got Casanova as my first real pet. Then I started babysitting Leah some, and saw how Leah and Casanova played so well and were just so cute wrestling and cuddling together. Plus, I thought it would be fun to add a girl so that I have a complete pair, and I could dress her up to my heart's content.

I looked soooo hard and forever for Bijou. I must have talked to nearly every breeder on earth. When I first got Bijou, she was more possessive of me than Casanova. Then, they had a couple-months period where they wrestled non-stop. After that, their relationship normalized where they still wrestle and play together, but they also cuddle and occasionally have brotherly-sisterly spats. I think it was much easier for Casanova to accept her because she was only 2 pounds and around 7 months when she came. I hear sometimes from friends who introduce a second dog when the older dog is 3 or 4 that the dogs do not play and do not like each other.

I think each additional pet is potentially alot more work-- specifically alot more poo and pee, it seems...For me, I do not see "efficiencies of scale." There are unanticipated issues that arise from having two, or three, or four from the combination of pets and their interaction together. Now that I have Meow Meow in the city also, I definitely feel that I'm at my capacity in terms of attention. Thankfully we don't have to worry about money. I also thank my lucky stars that my two are close and get along, so that they get my attention, and also get the benefit of the close interaction with one another. They do sleep alot of the day, and definitely more than they did initially when they played together nonstop.

The best thing about having both is when I look down and see them cuddling or wrestling, and see how they both have developed such strong and different personalities. I learned more about the Maltese breed....My two are from very different lines...so it allowed me to see more what was unique to the breed vs. what was unique to the line (since I have friends from both lines) vs. what was unique to the dog her/himself. It definitely feels like we have a huge family here with 3 pets, even though we have 0 kids. Every weekend when the doorman helps us load up our two dogs and cat to goto the house, I feel like we're a traveling zoo. But it's so much fun and it's all love!
Oh yeah! The pee and poo poo is really sooooo much more. When I had one it was nothing. Then two, it was very managable. With three, I sometime feel like a zoo keeper! LOL! I have a hot pink pooper scooper and have to scoop that poop 2X per day to keep it under control!! Sometimes I think some other dogs are sneaking in here and pooping too! It really is amazing what three little doggies can produce!!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Oh yeah! The pee and poo poo is really sooooo much more. When I had one it was nothing. Then two, it was very managable. With three, I sometime feel like a zoo keeper! LOL! I have a hot pink pooper scooper and have to scoop that poop 2X per day to keep it under control!! Sometimes I think some other dogs are sneaking in here and pooping too! It really is amazing what three little doggies can produce!!
Ahahaha!!!!!! :LOL::LOL: It wouldn't be so bad if they would just pee or poo all at once. But it's the constant activity, frequently at the most inopportune times......I always drop whatever what I'm doing to pick poo up as soon as it happens (besides, Casanova rings for "maid service"). Combined with the occasional dingleberry and necessary butt wash, it does seem like I am the zoo keeper with two....I can't imagine how it is with three fluffbutts (emphasis on the "three butts"). You know you're at capacity when you see a drop-dead gorgeous puppy and think, "That puppy is soooo cute!!!!! SOMEONE ELSE should get her!!!" :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Ahahaha!!!!!! :LOL::LOL: It wouldn't be so bad if they would just pee or poo all at once. But it's the constant activity, frequently at the most inopportune times......I always drop whatever what I'm doing to pick poo up as soon as it happens (besides, Casanova rings for "maid service"). Combined with the occasional dingleberry and necessary butt wash, it does seem like I am the zoo keeper with two....I can't imagine how it is with three fluffbutts (emphasis on the "three butts"). You know you're at capacity when you see a drop-dead gorgeous puppy and think, "That puppy is soooo cute!!!!! SOMEONE ELSE should get her!!!" :HistericalSmiley:
:HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Well Stan wanted to buy me a dog because he knew how much I loved them - and that was in 1992. So he got me a bichon, then when Lacie was 12 years old I figured I better get a new pup to make it easier when she went to the bridge. Then I had a 12 year old and a puppy...more like a mother/son scenario. So when Archie was one I got Abbey and they played and played and played. Stan thought that was enough dogs. Lacie passed away at 15 years old and I had the two that I always wanted. until someone talked me into adopting a rescue...Tinker...who grew up in a puppy mill, so we saved his life.

I'm a spoiled brat and am used to getting whatever i want (with in reason). I wanted a special puppy from a really good breeder - I don't stop talking about it until I get it :blush:. So now I have Ava too:thumbsup:. Four is plenty. my gosh it's hard to keep up with all the poopies in the back yard!!! :w00t:. But it sure is nice to be loved by four fluffy pups all snuggling with me each evening. Stan keeps saying "That's it! No more dogs!"
We happen to be babysitting two chihuahua puppies right now and Stan has fallen in love with both of them, he offered my friend a couple thousand dollars for them!!!! :w00t::w00t::innocent: OMG! I can't believe it! Of course my friend laughed and would never part with them, but just the fact that he actually really wants another one!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts