Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been having some trouble getting our little to use the pee pad. I have been holding off giving her cheerios as a reward treat at such a young age (empty calories). I could use her food as a treat, but that seems a bit anti-climactic. What are some thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
We have been giving Cheerios as a reward for going Potty as a reward but cannot remember whether or not we did that at such a young age? However, it sure works with our little Laci who is almost 16 months old. We show her the bag of Cheerios and tell her if she goes potty she will get some. We give her two or three of them. I am sure that others will come along with their suggestions as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have been giving Cheerios as a reward for going Potty as a reward but cannot remember whether or not we did that at such a young age? However, it sure works with our little Laci who is almost 16 months old. We show her the bag of Cheerios and tell her if she goes potty she will get some. We give her two or three of them. I am sure that others will come along with their suggestions as well.
Thank you. We gave them to our other Maltese. And like you said she loved them! With Zuzu being so young, I am a bit worried it will get stuck in her throat. I swear, its like having a newborn all over again! But we love it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi! I give my Cody Cheerios too! He Loves them! Maybe wet the Cheerios with alittle water like dip it in water not soak it maybe that will help. Cody loves the crunch sound! He eats them every day! Have fun with your baby!

·
Super Moderator
10,184 Posts
10 weeks is too young for your pup to have left the litter. While you can start potty training now, your pup is missing out on valuable socialization and proper play lessons he would have gotten from mom. Instead of cheerios which have a lot of carbs, try tiny pieces of carrot or apple as rewards, and be very patient. You're trying to take over some behaviors that the mama dog would have handled herself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts