Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had Rocky at the Vet in December for his ear infection. I get a card in the mail yesterday saying it is time for his physcial and his DHPP 3 year and the Bordetella annual.

Thoughts? Is the DHPP 3 year ok...is that the distemper...I know he needs a rabies shot again, but no mention of this. He had one last February, doesn't he need another one in February? Am I going to get another card next month telling me I need to get him a rabies vacinnation. Guess I need to call them and ask these questions. My question to you all is...what do you all think about these shots and do you let your fluffs get them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
I think they overvaccinate these little ones... I am in favor of titre testing but don't know a lot about it. That's where they check the levels already in the dog's system and if they are high enough (which they usually are), they don't revaccinate/overvaccinate. Not really sure how this works with puppies/how much vaccination they need before you look to titring, so hoping one of our vet savvy people will answer here...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,246 Posts
IMO, the less, the better for these little fluffs. DHPP is a combo shot that includes distemper.

Consider your dog's own lifestyle, if they are around other dogs a lot, go outside in the woods a lot, go to the groomer, daycare, etc.

Consider titer testing instead of vaccinating whenever possible.

I no longer do booster vaccinations, except for rabies, because it is required by law. Otherwise, I'd skip that one too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,343 Posts
We changed to the 3 year vaccination 2 years ago, and I'm certain this is the last time that I will vaccinate if their titer test shows that they're protected.

As he had his rabies shot when he was under a year old, he does need another one this year. Then it will be every 3 years.

Because he is only a little over a year old, I would probably get the 3 year vaccinations this time and then titer test going forward.

Make certain that your Vet doesn't give Rocky his DHPP and his Rabies and his Bordettla all on the same day. There should be 3 weeks between. You could do the Rabies and Bodettla on the same day and the DHPP 3 weeks later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Make certain that your Vet doesn't give Rocky his DHPP and his Rabies and his Bordettla all on the same day. There should be 3 weeks between. You could do the Rabies and Bodettla on the same day and the DHPP 3 weeks later.
Right, remember my Dora got sick after getting all her shots in the same day and she's much bigger than Rocky!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,653 Posts
ok this is my question , im kind of clueless , dolce recieved all his shots in feb of last before i got him , also his rabies.
i never gave him his lepto as i didnt feel it was needed , he doesnt go out alot etc.

when i take him for his annual in feb which vaccines does he need ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,019 Posts
Yup. Split the shots. Tyler just got his second annual shots and when I asked about titers the vet said you couldn't titer until after first booster but would do so going forth. I ended up getting Tyler the bordatella as a shot rather than nasal dose because it had triggered reverse sneezing that he never had before he got the nasal. He was fine with the shot this year. We did get the three year rabies and he got DHPP. Each of the three shots was given about three weeks apart and she only charged me for the shots, not an office visit even though she checked Tyler over (and answered questions) each time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
Vaccines should always be given based upon the individual dog's risk level...other than rabies as required by law.
What do I do for my dogs? I booster the DHPP the first time and that is good for 3 years. I do rabies as required by law. I don't give bordetella...but if your groomer requires it then you'll need to consider it.
Past that on the DHPP you have 2 choices - continue to vaccinate every 3 years OR titer for distemper and parvo.
Titers may not be the best choice for every case. It depends on your dog's risk level. My 13 year old never leaves the house. I titer him. My younger dogs that go to shows and work with me get vaccinated.
A titer shows the level on that day. There is no guarantee that this level of protection will last for a year. Doing titers annually just makes it convenient. Think of it this way: if your dog's titer at year 1 is good and at year 2 the distemper is low do you think it dropped the very day you drew blood for the titer? Logically, probably not.
And the other opinion is if you have one titer showing protection then the dog will always have protection even if levels are low later. Again...its all about assessing risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I'll jump in on this one. I got my boys all the puppy vaccines and then the 1st booster. I will not do anymore ever. I had a issue with my last baby Gizzy that Im not sure if it was the menu foods recall he ate, or the vaccines or a combination of both. But after all the research I did and the amount of bad feedback I got especially about the rabies law or no law I wont do it. My boys stay inside most of the time. The do go out in the back but the risk of something biting them is extremely low. Much lower then the damage that shot can do. I also had a rat terrier that developed a tumor in the area where the shot was given. I will take my chances.. Gizzy went blind over night and his kidneys began to fail within a few days after his vaccines. My vet understands my fears and has been very supportive to me. Now that I am in a different state I dont know. These boys arent due for rabies until next year Im not sure what the vet here will say about it.. I guess I will find out. The first series is all I care to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a lot to consider. Being Rocky is a dog that goes on walks through trails and parks and does go to day care on occasion, it may be better for me to get him vaccinated. I will definitely get them at different times, not together. Thanks so much gals...I think the important thing is we are all caring for our fluffs to the best of our belief and knowledge. That makes us some pretty darn good Mommys! And I appreciate you sharing all your knowledge with me. You guys are the best! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,958 Posts
Vaccines should always be given based upon the individual dog's risk level...other than rabies as required by law.
What do I do for my dogs? I booster the DHPP the first time and that is good for 3 years. I do rabies as required by law. I don't give bordetella...but if your groomer requires it then you'll need to consider it.
Past that on the DHPP you have 2 choices - continue to vaccinate every 3 years OR titer for distemper and parvo.
Titers may not be the best choice for every case. It depends on your dog's risk level. My 13 year old never leaves the house. I titer him. My younger dogs that go to shows and work with me get vaccinated.
A titer shows the level on that day. There is no guarantee that this level of protection will last for a year. Doing titers annually just makes it convenient. Think of it this way: if your dog's titer at year 1 is good and at year 2 the distemper is low do you think it dropped the very day you drew blood for the titer? Logically, probably not.
And the other opinion is if you have one titer showing protection then the dog will always have protection even if levels are low later. Again...its all about assessing risk.

I completely agree - its all about your own personal risk assessment.

Mine were vaccinated as prescribed as babies, then had boosters - but haven't had a vaccine in just over 3 yrs now. (Harley will be 7 in April '11, Dakota will be 5 in June '11). This is purely because of my own personal risk assessment - it is NOT suitable to everyone. They visit the groomer, the vet, and my parents pet-less home, so I consider H & D to be at low risk.

I looked into titer testing, but decided against it - the facts Jackie (JMM) points out above contributed to my decision.

At the end of the day, I think its really up to you to do your own risk assessment, based on your own personal circumstances.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top