Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir N didn't used to be afraid of thunder. Over the years, he has gotten progressively worse. We are having almost daily thunder lately. Today, it started thundering a few minutes before I had to leave to go back to work. He was shaking violently, heart beat going nuts, panting, wild-eyed, crying, and trying to crawl INTO me. And I had to go to work.

When I'm HOME, I can hold him and pet him and calm him down quite a bit. (not enough, but it's something) I feel terrible when I'm teaching and I hear thunder because I know how terrified he is. Little C is not at all sympathetic, by the way. She merely sees that as the perfect opportunity to hump him...he's too distracted to notice.

In fact, when it's thundering, he has no interest even in a greenie, the manna from dog heaven.

What can I do to make things easier for him? I left the TV on at a fairly loud volume, but it was off when I got home....electricity must have flickered or gone out. I had the noisemaker going, and unfortunately, the batteries must have died. I've bought new ones so that it taken care of...but it just isn't enough. oh, and he DOES have a small dark place in which to hide....but it doesn't help. When it thunders, he wants his mommy.

Help~~~~~~

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I know exactly what you are going through because Scooby is exactly the same. Fortunately we are here with him all the time, and if it storms here we just go downstairs to the basement, but he is still a mess. The last big storm we had I actually thought he was going to have a heart attack he was so hyped up, and then there was the 4th July as well which it extremely frightening for him. We spoke to our vet about it and she recommended we try to give a very low dose of a mild tranquilizer just to calm him through the storm and we ended up doing just that on the 4th July. He was so calm and relaxed and didn't even worry about the loud noises around him, he wasn't doped to the point of being asleep because we just gave him a quarter of the tablet, that was enough to take the edge off his nerves and keep him calm.
They say the best way to get them through the storms is to ignore them when they want to be picked up because by doing that is makes them worse, we are supposed to ignore their shaking, terrified attempts to be cuddled through the noise but, I can't do that because I feel so sorry to see him like that and I feel compelled to pick him up and make him feel safe.
There are herbal treats available here that are supposed to help calm our babies throught the storms etc. which I have tried and they just do not work.
Scooby is just so skittish that any loud unexpected noise sends him into a panic attack and it is so sad that he is like that, but I try to do all I can to reassure him all is ok.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww. Poor baby. I can't think of anything you can do. I can only off Hugs and Kisses from ButterCloud and Noriko!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Did you try Rescue Remedy ? I think you can also give them valium. Don't know the dosage.

http://www.caberfeidh.com/Flowers.htm

this is a website Marilyn posted on another forum, you might want to look at it.

[/QUOTE]For animals fearful of thunderstorms: Although many people try Rescue Remedy for this purpose, it's not a good choice at all. Try a mixture of Mimulus and Aspen.

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
i have the same problem with my cockapoo, we worry he is going to have a heart attack.
one time we found him behind the toliet, how he got back there we couldn't figure out. :new_Eyecrazy: : we also become so upset, because we can't help him. i feel for anyone who has to go through this it breaks our hearts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts